comments a/b this poem?

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 01:22 am
Golden Shoes & Diamonds Too -

I lost my way, far away from home.
My shoes I made from the gold I never owned.
Still I walked like the righteous man, alone?
All alone in shoes with no soles.
The bottoms of my feet just blood and bones.
And where I have gone?
To some carnival of shame, where fires burn away every letter of your name.
I look back and all I can see are golden footprints upon the ruination of every thing that ever
spoke of me.
My diamonds in hand, within a pill bottle they rattle. Marching away towards nothing that matters.
I shine and I glitter,
all the way to Hell,
where my end will be bitter,
under this spell.

By: Gerard Haughey

this poem is about opiate addiction and years wasted with doctors, lawyers, disability denials.. **** happens everyday.. ms. regan was prob right just say no.. eh.. life is about choices..

jjorge

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 09:34 pm
I like the vivid imagery.

You may be surprised to hear me say however, that (IMO) the explanation below the poem actually DETRACTS from it.

I will tell you what someone here on A2K told me a few years ago when I had included a similar explanation of one of my poems.

They said words to the effect that, without the explanation my poem was more intriguing, and they could enjoy sinking there teeth into it.

It is an interesting (and perhaps counter-intuitive) idea, that NOT knowing exactly what's in the poet's mind makes the encounter with his/her poem more satisfying.
poemtrakkker

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 01:12 am
@jjorge,
yeah.. i agree totally.. am trying to edit.. looking around for that function.. Thanks.. I don't want to take away from it that's for sure.

much appreciation..
poemtrakkker

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 01:21 am
@poemtrakkker,
hmm I'm clicking on things but don't see an edit.. you mean it's permanent? that would be sad.
poemtrakkker

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 03:07 pm
@poemtrakkker,
I realize what the replier was referring to with regards to poetry being open to personal interpretation.. this is still possible though I realize that knowing what and why the poem was written about can alter the final interpretation of the reader.. I would just like to say this.

I still think it's important for people to know why this poem was written. I say this because we as human beings can go down some roads that lead to nowhere good. We can do this and still all the while we justify within ourselves that we are still righteous before God because after all we have tried and have been dissapointed so we feel that is our justification. This poem reveals my newfound faith and spiritual experience from a dream. The experience was a 'Truth' in my heart of my current life situation complicated as it was God did do this to and for me to still have a chance to make things right for myself and my wife. The Truth that I know feel in my Heart has already begotten immense changes in my life starting from the day I woke from the dream. Here are some examples. I called every family member there are 3 brothers and 1 sister none of whom I was speaking to.. called them all and cried for forgiveness for my selfish ways and self-righteous ways and also for setting a very bad example to everyone who knows me. I went to my priest and cried in confession for 1 hour and told every single sin I committed from my last confession which was 5 years or more before this day. In doing these things I felt that I began to move further and further away from what I would call the 'brink of insanity'. Everyday I had to do something to prove to God that I am moving away from that life and towards a 'real' righteous life. I am back in church and now the words of the Bible and from the priest and in the Hymns well they speak to me now clearly whereas before I could only yawn and wish the mass were over.

So, this poem comes from this experience and I think it's very important for people to know this rather just think it was written for something else. I hope this helps. God is with us.. and I know some will think otherwise, that's ok too.

God Bless,

Gerard
0 Replies

poemtrakkker

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 07:53 pm
Here is my follow up poem.... Hope you can understand it.

Every Inch That I Climb
By: Gerard Haughey

I Once Did Walk
In Darkness I Prayed
Our Connection Grew Faint
The Further I Strayed

And Still So Faint
My Prayers You Did Hear
An S.O.S. Situation Did Near
So Lost And Confused
My Heart Turning Cold
Indifference To 'Truth'