MSNBC's top programs provide more than 18 times as much coverage of Haiti earthquake as Fox News' to

JTT

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 09:08 pm
@JTT,
Ms Lee went on to say;

Quote:
“When Aristide was removed, water projects stopped, education projects stopped, healthcare clinics shut down. It wasn’t just about removing a leader, it was about destroying a real democracy. And that really needs to be accounted for.”

but in this, she must be mistaken. The USA just doesn't ever do that kind of thing.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 09:26 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
(I DO think that sending heavy duty politicians, with all the attendant demands for security and press and suchlike crap is a weird reaction....but they'll likely be good at mobilizing attention)

My bad!! Bill and Dubya aren't GOING to Haiti...they have just joined to lead the fund raising.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 09:40 pm
In other news, CNN blows both MSNBC and FOX out of the water....

Security concerns cause doctors to leave hospital, quake victims

Quote:
Port-au-Prince, Haiti (CNN) -- Earthquake victims, writhing in pain and grasping at life, watched doctors and nurses walk away from a field hospital Friday night after a Belgian medical team evacuated the area, saying it was concerned about security.

The decision left CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Sanjay Gupta as the only doctor at the hospital to get the patients through the night.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 10:29 pm
DD has brought up a good point here. Miss Olga seems fixated on Fox, but i would say that many Americans, perhaps most, had the same reaction when they heard about this as i did, which was to turn on CNN to get reliable news of the details of the story. CNN is the granddaddy of them all.

There is a Georgia boy named Ted Turner who first gained international attention by successfully defending the America's Cup. He then made himself obnoxious to the rich yachting class, which endeared him even more to Americans. He was (still is) a successful businessman who has amassed a considerable fortune.

Part of it was invested in and came from his television station in Atlanta. When cable television began to spread across the country, Turner jumped right in, offering his Atlanta "Super Station" to cable service providers at a pittance, to get his food in the door, and it worked. His station was successful for offering family viewing. (I'm not talking about the phoney family values crap of the religious right--i just mean he broadcast a mix of programming which wouldn't offend Mom and Dad sitting down with the kiddies after dinner.) It succeeded for the same reason on cable, and he began buying the rights to hundreds of motion pictures, which he could then show repeatedly on "the Super Station" and no longer obliged to pay royalties.

Well, when his station became national because of cable, the FCC (Federal Communication Commission) required him to hew to the line of regulation, and pointed out that he wasn't meeting the news requirements. That meant fifteen minutes of news for every four hours of broadcast time. Turner was already a "24-7" service provider, and his first reaction was typical country boy. Every four hours, a news reader would read stories directly off the wire services (AP, Reuters, etc.), while a comedian buddy of Turner would sit beside him making wise cracks. Back in the late 70s, my friends and i would drop what we were doing, and crack up a the clown. The FCC were not, however, amused, and the slapped Turner with a whopping fine.

His next reaction was typical country-boy-got-smart-and-rich, and he didn't just provide legitimate news, in 1980 he created an entire 24 hour news channel for cable television, the Cable New Network--CNN. Since then, he has added HNN, the Headline News Network, which is a television news ticker, 24-7. CNN has set all the standards, and all the major cable and satellite news outlets have to a greater or lesser extent copied CNN, because of their undeniably high level of competence and their success. Turner was quietly smart in other ways, too. While there were still idiotic incidents going on in news rooms around the country, and teapot tempests in local television stations, Turner was hiring the best young staff he could get, and he didn't care if they were male or female, black, white or purple, pretty or ugly. Turner did more to open up media to "minorities" and women than all the rest of the television industry had done in its entire history. He went out to find talent, and when he found it, he put it on the air, with good salaries and benefits. Trade observers say that his CNN employees are fanatically loyal to the organization.

Normally, since i rarely watch teevee at all, i watch BBC World News when i eat my dinner, and that's my news source. But for this, i tuned in to CNN, and they did not disappoint. Later, i was watching BBCWN, and they didn't come close to the quality and breadth of CNN coverage--but, of course, this happened in "our own backyard."
msolga

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 10:57 pm
I was interested in gaining a bit more insight into where Americans receive most of their news information from, between CNN, MSNBC & Fox. And came across this article about the October 2009 ratings findings.:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/reese-schonfeld/news-viewers-fox----news_b_305223.html
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 11:08 pm
Well, i've already pointed out that Fox has the highest ratings of any single news service--and that this is because of a loyal following. I still suspect that when a big story breaks, many and perhaps most Americans go to CNN to get the "breaking" coverage. There can be no doubt that among repeat viewers, Fox takes the palm, but then, that's only a percentage of the viewers of all news programs available, and a small percentage at that.

But note another important statistic in the report you linked. CNN gets almost 26 million hits at their news web site each month, while Fox gets just over 7.5 million. When people go looking for the news, they go to CNN, not Fox.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 11:49 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
. When people go looking for the news, they go to CNN, not Fox

Bullshit
Quote:
Fox News’ Thursday Ratings Dominate Cable News Haiti Coverage
by Steve Krakauer | 5:11 pm, January 15th

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/fox-news-thursday-ratings-dominate-cable-news-haiti-coverage/
dlowan

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 03:02 am
@Setanta,
Interesting "evidence."

I just went to Huffington Post, where one of the links posted by someone here led to.

Now, the RANGE of stuff people appear to be interested in is, to this tiny mind, appalling...but look at the AMOUNT of interest (judging by the comments)

[quote]Most Popular on HuffingtonPost
1 of 2

Haiti Earthquake: Breaking News, Updates (VIDEO) 16,954 Comments

Lindsay Lohan Forgets Her Bra (PHOTOS) 324 Comments

Dennis Hopper Divorce Shocker 685 Comments

Alyssa Milano My Tweet Challenge: Will A Corporation Match... 207 Comments

Dawn Teo Protest Against America's Toughest Sheriff Turns Violent... 794 Comments

Huff TV Sam Stein Discusses Palin-Beck Interview, Harold Ford... 209 Comments

Heidi Montag's 10 Plastic Surgery Procedures: Before & After... 558 Comments

Jeff Zucker Threatens Conan: 'I'll Keep You Off The... 1,865 Comments

Jon Stewart: Palin Like A "Moose In Headlights" On... 2,733 Comments

As Wallets Open For Haiti, Credit Card Companies Take... 1,286 Comments

Tiger Woods, Haiti Hospital Donor? 378 Comments

Jessica Rabbit Great-Grandmother: Annette Edwards Spends $16K To Look... 181 Comments

Haiti Earthquake Aid Slowly Reaching Victims As Desperation Grows 1,094 Comments

Massachusetts Senate Race: Poll Shows Shift Toward GOP Candidate 4,000 Comments

Haiti Earthquake Pictures: The Damage As Seen From Space... 33 Comments

Puppy CPR: Man Gives Puppy Mouth-To-Mouth After Rescuing It... 259 Comments

Cindi Leive Sleep Challenge 2010: What Do You Wake... 129 Comments

Janine R. Wedel For The Shadow Elite Failure Often... 102 Comments

[/quote]
ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 06:17 am
@dlowan,
two, three, four angles to every story on this

Quote:
MSNBC received some criticism on Tuesday night for running two hours of Keith Olbermann's show where the unfolding disaster was not addressed. It's a recurrent issue for MSNBC, which stuck with taped programming on Christmas as the story of the attempted terrorist attack unfolded. MSNBC said there was little hard information and few pictures of the earthquake to illustrate the story so soon after it happened.

While Fox covered the earthquake extensively Wednesday, the network took time away to showcase its new employee: Glenn Beck talked with Sarah Palin about how each of them were popular Halloween masks last year.

CP link
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 07:19 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
Quote:
Other Fox News shows -- such as Special Report with Bret Baier and The Fox Report with Shepard Smith -- did devote extensive coverage to the earthquake.

This kinda makes the whole thread moot, doesn't it?

I thought I'd bump this important point of DrewDad's. If Fox did extensively cover it in special reports, but didn't cover it in its political commentary shows, they did their job as a news provider. Media Matters' methodology of focusing only on top-rated shows is disingenuous.
Setanta

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 10:12 am
@hawkeye10,
Bullshit to you, asshole--you're comparing apples to oranges. My comment was that when people go looking for news online, they go to CNN, as the evidence from Miss Olga's linked article shows--nearly 26 million hits per month for CNN, and just over 7.5 million for Fox. It is unsurprising to me that you don't understand "subtleties" like that--you ordinarily display all the intellectual perception of a fresh water clam.

However, it is rather hilarious that you've posted what you have. It simply confirms what all of the Americans here have been saying to our friends from Oz, which is Fox has indeed covered the disaster in Haiti. So, tediously, once again, you've made a fool of yourself.
Setanta

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 10:13 am
I agree, this was a non-story from the beginning.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 10:14 am
There is another point to be made here to our friends from OZ. That is that Fox has affiliates. This means that there are local television stations which broadcast in the clear, and for which one does not need either cable or a satellite feed to view the station. There are five a major networks in the United States. In addition to Fox, there is ABC (the American Broadcasting Company), NBC (the National Broadcasting Company), CBS (the Columbia Broadcasting System) and PBS (the Public Broadcasting System). There are television stations which are affiliated with one of these five all over the country.

Comparing CNN and MSNBC to Fox is a case of comparing apples to oranges, because CNN and MSNBC are to be found either on cable or on a satellite feed, but not through an affiliated television station. Many people who tune into a Fox affiliate (or ABC, NBC or CBS) do so because they want to get local news, weather and sports coverage. PBS has many respected news programs, such as "The News Hour," "Washington Week in Review" or "Tony Brown's Journal," to name but three--however PBS stations do not provide local news coverage, so they're not typical in that respect, either.
Foofie

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 02:43 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

He's talking about news coverage, not individual empathic ability.

Would you hold that the quake is not news, whether individual USians react to it or not?

I understood the thought to mean it is only newsworthy for those that can empathize with the event. Not everyone does empathize with the event to the same degree, so it is newsworthy in different degrees to different people.

Let me be candid; I empathize better with people that speak English. Mind you, that is regardless of their national origin, or complexion. The key is English in my empathic synaptic connections. Also, the more grammatically correct English, the more empathy. I also value correct spelling and correct punctuation.
JTT

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 02:49 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
Let me be candid; I empathize better with people that speak English. Mind you, that is regardless of their national origin, or complexion. The key is English in my empathic synaptic connections. Also, the more grammatically correct English, the more empathy. I also value correct spelling and correct punctuation.

Has anyone made a collection of these Foofieisms?
aidan

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 03:23 pm
@JTT,
Foofie said:
Quote:
Let me be candid; I empathize better with people that speak English.

Quote:
Also, the more grammatically correct English, the more empathy.

Uh-oh Foofie - you're gonna have trouble empathizing with yourself I guess-
it should read: 'Let me be candid; I empathize better with people WHO speak English.'

I empathize better with children myself. They don't even have to open their mouths to speak English, correctly or otherwise, or show me how they can read and/or write as they're being dug out from under the rubble...unfuckingbelievable.

JTT

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 03:32 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
... it should read: 'Let me be candid; I empathize better with people WHO speak English.'

That's a prescription that doesn't apply to English, Aidan. Both 'that' and 'who' are used when the referent is people. Even 'which' is sometimes used when the reference is oblique.
aidan

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 03:33 pm
@JTT,
I'm just giving him a hard time. I think he deserves it for the expression of that sentiment. Although you can't fault him for honesty I guess.
0 Replies

BigTexN

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 09:15 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
My comment was that when people go looking for news online, they go to CNN

CNN and MSNBC may report more of the Haiti story, but looking at the ratings for CNN and MSNBC, nobody watched.

This has been a consistent problem with CNN and MSNBC...reporting stories and viewpoints out of touch with the majority of Americans...blowhard viewpoints no one really has an interest in.

To both networks I say KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

Bankruptcy will suit you well!
djjd62

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 09:20 am
@BigTexN,
well that says more about another kind of bankruptcy infecting the american people, they'd rather listen to FOX propaganda than watch news