Adventures in Job Searching

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 06:20 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Interview tomorrow, with potential for an interview for a different job with identical credential needs, identical pay and identical location (just a different department). This is all at the place where the first Dispatches topic was written from.

I suspect ah'll be working again soon.

And there could be more "Dispatches" -- win/win! Good luck!
jespah

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:06 am
@Tai Chi,
Yes - but is the sequel ever better than the original (there's an A2K topic if I ever saw one)?
Tai Chi

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:10 am
@jespah,
Ah -- but you're a good writer. Perhaps you could venture into fiction? Improve reality as it were. Very Happy
jespah

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:35 am
@Tai Chi,
Bloggeroonie, babe.
jespah

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 05:16 am
@jespah,
I've got a freelancing gig.

It's to do social media marketing for a startup robotics company (they make modules). It is wild and funky and imaginative and totally the polar opposite of where I was last working. As in, I went to my second work meeting (the first was when I was brought on by the principal) last night. The five of us sat around the principal's kitchen table, looked at a computer screen and talked and talked and talked. His girlfriend finally walked in and asked how long we'd been meeting.

Uh, two hours.

No one had noticed the time passage.

We were just enjoying each others' company and knowledge. I am -- this is all new for me. They are taking a chance on me, big time. But this is how I will learn and gain experience. And, I am taking a chance on them. They have little to pay me (want to put in some venture capital funding?). No one knows how stable anything will be, or how long and how far this ride will last. My main source of income, until VC funding, remains Unemployment.

And, it's an interesting dynamic. They, well, they make me think a little of these guys:
http://sciphys.homestead.com/files/hobbits.jpg

So I guess that means this is me:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Jr2kH5AguCY/Rdx6-Xfv-2I/AAAAAAAAACg/1Tsh6AcsGuM/s200/galadriel.jpg

I am loving it. I am having a good time, I'm jazzed, it's just freakin' fun. We will make mistakes (everyone does). Things will succeed, or fail. But in the meantime, it's a blast.

I'm having the ear surgery done in a few weeks ....
chai2

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 05:23 am
Very Happy
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 05:23 am
Whatever you do Jes.

Dont wear the ring.

best of luck
jespah

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 05:29 am
@dadpad,
Thank you. But, but, the ring is calling to me.
sozobe

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 09:31 am
@jespah,
Congrats!

(What ear surgery...?)

Edit: (Doy, the elfin tips.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 02:13 pm
Yayyyy!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 03:27 pm
I hope it stays fun! Congrats, Jes.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 04:20 pm
More Dispatches? (she asked, hopefully)
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 05:57 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Excellent!! Great news from Boston!! The Celts are winning and Jespah grabs a gig! Very Happy

Quote:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Jr2kH5AguCY/Rdx6-Xfv-2I/AAAAAAAAACg/1Tsh6AcsGuM/s200/galadriel.jpg

Ummm.... Are you getting cosmetic surgery on your ears so you more closely resemble Galadriel or are you getting ear reduction surgery so you don't resemble Galadriel in the ear department?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 07:02 pm
@jespah,
I love it when a group works like that..
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 08:28 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Then I suppose we'll be seeing you at that big house on the harbour at Hunters Hill pretty soon!
jespah

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 04:24 am
@margo,
That might be a bit of a commute. I suspect it's more likely we would go into the West. Or, North, as the principal lives in the Vortex.

Hmm I have a surgeon, could add the elvin tips and be all set. If I had them embedded with the company logo (or a circuit board), that would be unwieldy but very efficient from a marketing standpoint.

In the meantime, hopefully I will not, in the future, be saying, "Uh, there's a Mr. Sarumon on the line...."

PS More Dispatches? Yes, I'm sure, but gentler. I like these guys.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 05:38 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Yayyyyyyy! (I know I'm way late to the party, but that doesn't affect how heartfelt my yaying is.)

jespah wrote:
It's to do social media marketing for a startup robotics company (they make modules).

Kewl! Will the robots have fracking lasers on their fracking heads? If so, you want to tell them about this incredibly competent former laser physicist you know online.
jespah

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 04:25 am
@Thomas,
I don't just know you online.

When we install the lasers, I'll ask.

Meanwhile, I went to a networking/marketing/get together party for lean startups and some guy told me robotics was sexy. Shocked

Instead of a company shirt, perhaps they should be ordering me a company miniskirt.

PS And thank you. Smile
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 09:01 am
@jespah,
How exciting, jespah! You're part of a history making entity - that's how Apple started and many other great enterprises: at someone's kitchen table!
All you need is innovative, enthusiastic, brainy people and it seems that you
all are, well you definitely! Only good things will come from there - kudos jespah!
jespah

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 11:18 am
@CalamityJane,
Thank you! Part of my job is, quite literally, to go to parties, and that is so weird. Almost feels like I'm getting away with something. Smile