Food ethics: How do you choose what species are morally wrong to eat?

Linkat

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 03:11 pm
@farmerman,
But what about the face???
Linkat

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 03:32 pm
@farmerman,
Jeepers this is scary - they'd then eat the incredible Mr. Limpet as he has scales and fins and a face. And he can talk and make that incredible noise that helps the navy. What a messed up rule.
farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 05:06 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
incredible Mr. Limpet
whos he? a limpet iis a gastropod much used for striper bait and croaker. Limpets have neitjer faces. fins, nor scales. They live in a shell and are all clamlike.
Linkat

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 01:03 pm
@farmerman,
Here is Mr. Limpet

http://www.clown-ministry.com/images/incredible-mr-limpet.jpg
Linkat

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 01:07 pm
@Linkat,
And they may be making a remake of this fab film

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2011/03/richard-linklater-incredible-mr-limpet-don-knotts-remake.html
0 Replies

coolcubed

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 03:18 pm
@djjd62,
Really? That's disgusting. First of all, you insinuate that it would be worse to kill a real human than a clone. Let me tell you something: CLONES ARE HUMANS. Second of all, your philosophy of having being conceived for a purpose justifying that purpose is somewhat flawed. In developing countries, you could be born and raised by your parents for the sole purpose of bringing in ridiculously small amounts of money for them via hazardous and unhealthy work, but does that make it any more humane? NO!
Finally, I don't see how you would be able to stand eating humans in the first place. I'd do it, but only if they were already dead, and it was a matter of life and death for me. Choosing to eat people when you could just as easily eat something else is just sickening.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 05:11 pm
Sniffing the perfume.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 05:15 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
Lot's of talk about the possibility of raising clones for extra parts, i don't think i'd have a problem with eating humans that were raised for specific purposes

Identical twins are clones, albeit natural ones. Would you have a problem eating your identical twin?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 09:27 pm
@Linkat,
What about the face? The pig's head is the best part in some areas, especially for tacos.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 09:42 pm
@farmerman,
I'm sorry to have found this thread so late. I'm going to catch up later, but for now I'll assume the following comments are not too redundant.
Most cannibalistic societies eat humans in a ritual context for "magical" reasons, i.e., incorporating an enemy's powers by eating body parts associated with particular powers (e.g. leg muscle for running speed, eye balls for marksmanship, biceps for strength, etc.--I'm making up the examples). My point is that humans are not part of any known society's cuisine. I've even heard that anthropologists' knowledge of the practice is rarely or never based on first hand observation, mainly on reports by natives of their neighbors' shameful behavior (headhunting, however, is the object of boasting claims).
The Yanomamo of the Amazon (Brazil and Venezuela) are known to eat large spiders. That's not something I would do, even though I know they are nutritious and even if I were starving. Most societies probably have deeply established ontological notions of what is and what is not food. We, however, make the more abstract distinction between food, in the sense of cuisine, and nourishment. As such, we can eat things for survival that we do not classify as cuisine. That's the basis for cannibalism among people for whom it has no ritual function.
0 Replies

Agent1741

Reply Thu 31 May, 2018 09:11 pm
Firstly I would never resort to cannibalism! I also would never eat whale, fiercly anti deer, dog, cats, rabbits or creepy insects.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2018 03:55 am
@Robert Gentel,
Aside the ones pointed by tbe OP pig should be the latest addition to the list. Pigs are highly intelligent, above cats and dogs some scientists point out!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2018 10:39 am
@Agent1741,
Agent1741 wrote:

Firstly I would never resort to cannibalism! I also would never eat whale, fiercly anti deer, dog, cats, rabbits or creepy insects.

Why are deer and rabbits on this list?

They are natures food pantry.
coluber2001

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2018 02:35 pm
@chai2,
One thing I have come to understand is that soy contains phytoestrogens, which mimic estrogens. Feedlot animals are fed tons of soy, so if you eat beef from the feedlot you're eating phytoestrogens. Aside from the moral aspects of eating animals that are raised in filthy, unhealthy, inhumane, and disease-ridden conditions, you have to question whether you're doing your body harm by consuming phytoestrogens.
chai2

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2018 02:48 pm
@coluber2001,
What does that do with what I said about eating venison and rabbit, and the fact the poster above me is "anti" eating them?

Unless you inadvertantly responded to me, and meant to click "reply all"
0 Replies

Agent1741

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2018 07:27 pm
@chai2,
Simply because to me they are beautiful creatures especially the deer. My birth country they are largely a protected species & I strongly disagree with a great deal of all the "macho crap" that seems to go along with hunting them. I also like rabbits but not to eat!
chai2

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2018 07:50 pm
@Agent1741,
Where is your home country?

So because an animal is cute or attractive we shouldn’t eat it? Well, cows are pretty good looking too. So are sheep. Why don’t you have a problem with them? What about goats and pigs? They’re very intelligent, as well as beautiful. You don’t mind eating them.

Deer overbreed in many areas because their natural predators no longer live in those same areas. If they aren’t culled they end up starving themselves in the winter. This isn’t about macho stuff like mounting their heads on the wall. Many people hunt deer, rabbits and many other animals because they are good to eat and meat is expensive. They also do a lot of damage to property, and can cause deaths when they get in the road and cause accidents. If you’ e Got a lot of deer around, you realize what a pain in the ass they are.

chai2

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2018 07:54 pm
@chai2,
I’d really like to know where you were from.
0 Replies