I have chicken, I have broccoli - any suggestions?

mismi

Mon 11 Jan, 2010 05:16 pm
I am uninspired right now...I need some ideas to do with chicken and broccoli. Not your normal chicken and broccoli casserole...

I don't mind having them seperate...just need something new.

help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 4,377 • Replies: 33
Topic Closed
No top replies

engineer

Mon 11 Jan, 2010 05:17 pm
@mismi,
Chicken broccoli stir fry is excellent. Easy too.
msolga

Mon 11 Jan, 2010 05:20 pm
@mismi,
Off the top of my head, mismi ... if you want easy, why not a simple stir fry with steamed rice? Have you got any slivered almonds or other nuts you could gently "dry fry" or roast & throw in at the end?
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 11 Jan, 2010 05:21 pm
@engineer,
Great minds think alike! Very Happy
ossobuco

Mon 11 Jan, 2010 05:23 pm
I don't suppose you like anchovies...
I like broccoli sauteed with garlic and mushed tinned anchovies (not many, maybe just two - they basically replace salt) in butter and or olive oil with a goodly pinch of chile flakes.
I would, wouldn't I?

I'm in a tired-of-chicken phase, no advice off hand.
mismi

Mon 11 Jan, 2010 05:24 pm
@msolga,
I do like that idea and I do have almonds...
Why do I forget about stir frying? I did it all the time for a while...

Thanks!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 11 Jan, 2010 05:26 pm
I like stir fry too. (No wok anymore so I haven't kept up with stir frying)
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Mon 11 Jan, 2010 05:28 pm
Roasted broccoli with Old Bay seasoning on it

Cycloptichorn
mismi

Mon 11 Jan, 2010 05:29 pm
@ossobuco,
They were on sale for $1.99 lb. and my kids prefer chicken...probably why I am a bit burned out on it myself. I just feel nothing for it right now...which is why I need help!

I need to rethink anchovies osso...I had them not too long ago and I really didn't mind them at all....I think it depends on the dish as to whether I like them or not.
0 Replies

Mame

Mon 11 Jan, 2010 05:29 pm
@mismi,
I just steam my veggies, but you could also make a broc salad.

Chicken Chipotle (you need chipotle sauce and either whipping cream or half-and-half)

Chicken dijon - you will need honey, curry powder and dijon
mismi

Mon 11 Jan, 2010 05:30 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I have Old Bay seasoning. That sounds nice too...that sounds really easy too.
mismi

Mon 11 Jan, 2010 05:32 pm
@Mame,
Chicken Chipotle sounds great....got the recipe? I have the whipping cream...need the sauce though...might be able to put a call in to my husband...
Cycloptichorn

Mon 11 Jan, 2010 05:35 pm
@mismi,
mismi wrote:

I have Old Bay seasoning. That sounds nice too...that sounds really easy too.

Both nice and easy.

Easy chicken nuggets - cube chicken, crush up a bag of potato chips (or just enough for what you need, a few different flavors is fun) - egg wash, cover with crushed chips, cook 20 mins @ 375 or until done. Drizzle a little butter or olive oil on top before cooking for extra brownness.

Chicken-veg bake - chop potatoes, onions, broccoli, carrots whatever really. Place in a baking dish with the veg around the outside and the chicken breasts in the middle. Mix together 2 parts soy sauce to 1 part butter and 1 part lemon juice. Mix well, pour (reasonable amount) over entire mess, cover, bake until chicken is done. Tastes good, don't overdo the soy sauce or it'll be too salty!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Mame

Mon 11 Jan, 2010 05:37 pm
@mismi,
It's dead easy, and if he's picking up the Chipotle, tell him to pick up some mushrooms to add to it. If you decide on this one, I'll type it out.
msolga

Mon 11 Jan, 2010 05:39 pm
@Mame,
Others might also be interested, Mame. Wink
0 Replies

mismi

Mon 11 Jan, 2010 05:47 pm
I want that recipe Mame...I love Chipotles...

Cycloptichorn - I am typing that one up too.

I am once again inspired.

Thank you all...
Rockhead

Mon 11 Jan, 2010 05:54 pm
@mismi,
bread and fry the chicken in lard, then make some mashed taters and lots of gravy.

then some biscuits.

(one of your neighbors prolly has a hamster that would enjoy the broccoli...) Wink

waiting for mame to come back aboot the fancy spicy stuff.
Mame

Mon 11 Jan, 2010 05:58 pm
@mismi,
okay here you go:

Saute some onion and mushrooms; remove from pan. Add chicken to pan (in pieces, if you want to be quick about it), saute. When nearly cooked, add back the onion and mushrooms and then equal parts sour cream (if you have it) and whipping cream or half-and-half. Add chipotle pepper sauce to taste.

Good with rice, pasta, etc. Really great leftovers.
JPB

Mon 11 Jan, 2010 06:00 pm
@Mame,
Does chicken divan count as your normal chicken and broccoli casserole?
0 Replies

mismi

Mon 11 Jan, 2010 06:00 pm
@Rockhead,
oOOOOOOO YEAH.....that sounds nice and healthy...delicious though...the mash potatoes and gravy would really hit the spot. Comfort foooooood.
0 Replies