Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 01:14 pm
Hustle, hustle
Show your muscle
Go, Jesus, go!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 05:59 pm
@Centroles,
First of all Britt Hume is not Fox News. It may have been fair to say he was before he semi-retired,but it certainly no longer is.

Secondly, he didn't say Christianity was superior to Buddhism.

What he said is that forgiveness and redemption are not central tenets of Buddhism as they are with Christianity.

If you have any knowledge of either religion, you know this to be true.

He said that at this point in his life Tiger needs forgiveness and redemption and that Christianity will provide a better path to what he needs than Buddhism.

What Tiger Woods needs in his life is a matter of opinion and Hume was on the air to express his opinion.

There have been hundreds of people in the media offering their opinion as to what Tiger needs, but only Humes opinion has generated controversy.

Why is that?
farmerman

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 06:50 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Buddhism makes you work out your meshooga ways in amanner like "Groundhog Day". Whats Christianity got over that? Christians just say a coupla "hail Jesus's" and get absolution. A Buddhist has to understand what hes done wrong and work it out over successive existences.

Gimme Buddha anyday over the Holy Kid.

Brit Hume is a tool, simple.
farmerman

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 06:53 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
@Centroles,
First of all Britt Hume is not Fox News. It may have been fair to say he was before he semi-retired,but it certainly no longer is.
The fine point that you are attempting to make is funny, not LOL funny, but "I was hiking the Appalchian Trail" funny
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 06:55 pm
@Centroles,
http://cpeople.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/laughing1.jpg
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 06:56 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
gotta agree with you

i don't believe in any of the religious crap, but he's being a good a christian by pushing his beliefs, i'd like to see more honesty in the media, even if i didn't agree with it, perhaps especially if i didn't agree with it, knowing where people stand makes it easier for me to decide how i feel about them
djjd62

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 06:59 pm
@farmerman,
and i gotta agree with you

i'd take the work at buddhist route if i was gonna choose one
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 10:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
There have been hundreds of people in the media offering their opinion as to what Tiger needs, but only Humes opinion has generated controversy.

Why is that?

Because he's recommending a particular religion as a solution to Tiger's personal issues. Religion is a controversial subject.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 03:27 pm
@djjd62,
Personally, I think it is most important that Tiger focus within himself to straighten out his life.

Whatever assistance he can obtain from a particular religious teaching, the hard work will have to come from within.

The point is that Hume is factually correct that forgiveness and redemption is at the core of Christian teaching, and not so as respects Buddhist teachings.

Whether or not Woods needs to pursue forgiveness and redemption is a matter of opinion, but I suspect it is one held by very many people.

It is not the least bit outrageous to suggest that Christian teachings rather than Buddhist are more likely to provide a path to such an end.

Notwithstanding farmerman's declaration of what he finds funny, the original post is clearly inaccurate:

Britt Hume's opinion on FOX News Sunday is not an official pronouncement of FOX editorial policy. Anyone who watches FOX with regularity appreciates that Hume did not introduce his strongly held Christian beliefs within his role as chief of the news programming. Now that he is something of a consultant, he, clearly, feels he can now express his more personal opinions.

Having said this, what's the big deal if it was otherwise?

It's very telling that those who have expressed the greatest degree of outrage over his comments are secular, or anti-religion, or anti-Christianity.

Where is the Buddhist outrage?

I cannot reconcile a secular view that sees religion, at best, immaterial with outrage over one immaterial world view allegedly asserting superiority over any other immaterial world view.

The reality is that what is perceived to be a secular view in America is an anti-Christian view. This is not to suggest that the secular view is the spawn of the anti-Christ, but that the secular view is essentially a political view. The secular view is really the liberal view and as Christianity can be seen, in a superficial way, to be aligned to conservative views, it should be scorned.

Liberals don't seem to have much of a problem with Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduisim or even Islam, for two primary reasons:

1) None of them are aligned in any way with conservative American thought
2) All of them are exotic and non-American and thus deserving of a strange self-loathing requirement of respect

Clearly, Christians believe their religion is right and the rest of them are wrong. American liberals find this to be a glaring example of intolerance and one of the greatest of human evils.

It is just as clear that Buddhists, Taoists, Hindus, Muslims et al believe their religion is right and the rest of them wrong, and yet they consistently are spared the accusation, by American liberals, of intolerance.

djjd62

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 03:32 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
i don't have a real problem with any religion as long as they don't try to force it on me

i think there all kind of silly
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 03:40 pm
@djjd62,
Understood

Is there a religion on earth that is trying to force itself on you?
farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 03:41 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Where is the Buddhist outrage?

It just keeps getting better with you doesnt it? Im sending the above to JL Nobody who, among a few others, is a practicing Buddhist.

I think that Buddhists have no word for outrage
djjd62

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 03:42 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
still get JW's at the door, even after telling them not to come back

other than that, not really

our canadian conservatives have been co-opted by a right wing christian element of late, nothing major been done or proposed, but that kind of worries me, i'd prefer that government be completely secular
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 03:45 pm
Buddhist outrage
oxymoron

Joe(Accent on the moron)Nation
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 03:45 pm
@rosborne979,
So is politics.

Should he not present a political opinion?

In any case, the reality is that if any major news figure recommended that Tiger adopt the teachings of Depak Chopra or Oprah Winfrey there would not be outrage. I aslo, stongly, doubt, that if any recommended the religious teachings of any other religion than Christianity, liberal pundits would have went nuts.

How is it that we find nothing offensive about some talking head insisting that Tiger do this that or the other thing (as long as it doesn't involve religion), but some of us erupt when there is a suggestion concerning religion?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 03:47 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Buddhist outrage
oxymoron

Joe(Accent on the moron)Nation

Joe(the man)Nation is the Cool est

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 03:56 pm
@farmerman,
And it just keeps getting better with you.

Your smart-alec quips only prove my point.

The clear implication of your posting and that of Joe Nation's is that Buddhists are incapable of feeling outrage.

Which leads to the further implication that all who consider themselves Buddhist (e.g. Tiger Woods and Richard Gere) are incapable of outrage.

Clearly the two of you believe that anyone who professes to be a Buddhist is fast approaching or has achieved the status of Boddhisatva, while those who profess to being Christians not only are incapable of living the teachings of its faith, but are more likely to consistently contradict them.

This view demonstrates either an incredibly narrow perception of the world, a Western self-loathing, or an idiotic Noble Savage conceit.

djjd62

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 03:58 pm
Satanism looks better everyday
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 04:01 pm
@Centroles,
From watching at your video, my impression is that this is Brit Hume's personal opinion, expressed at a Fox talk show or similar. People say ridiculous things on talk shows all the time. How does this amount to a Fox News statement?
0 Replies