Fox News: Chrisitianity is superior to Buddism and Other Religions

farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 04:01 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
The clear implication of your posting and that of Joe Nation's is that Buddhists are incapable of feeling outrage.
It also demonstrates that you are incapable of entertaining two conflicting POVs in your brain at one time. If you have trouble deciphering what I said, ask someone who gives a ****, to explain it.

farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 04:04 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
incapable of outrage.
Maybe it takes work to achieve that state. Any asshole may feel outrage, it takes real effort to release yourself of its burden.

CHristianity and ISlam are both rather judgemental religions with no room for alternative pathways. Maybe thats where Fox gets it wrong.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 04:34 pm
Wait. Mr. Hume is being very unfair to Tiger. He tells him he should turn to the Christian faith, but he doesn't say which one.

Does he go the Roman Catholics? (He'll have to go through some Catechism classes and recive the Sacrament of Baptism before being allowed to go through the process and Sacrament of Confession AND have to perform whatever Penance is prescribed. (That's going to be a lot of Hail Marys.) But then his sins will be forgiven.

But wait. On Imus in the Morning, Charles the news reader, apparently a noted scholar in such matters, said all Tiger has to do is proclaim his acceptance of Christ as his Lord and Savior!
Poof.
Sins all forgiven. Hmmm. But I would think Tiger would want to have something more formal than just him by himself somewhere expressing acceptance of a Supreme Being as the anchor of his life, poof or not.

Maybe the Baptists will take him in? There will be an immersion, of course, and the singing is great.
Unless he's not into music, in which case he should go with either the Church of Christ, The Brethren Disciples or Church of the Nazerene. All good ones, though in truth, not too forgiving.

He can always go mainstream, find a good Presbyterian, Methodist or Lutheran congregation or an actual Congregational congreation, but I hope he doesn't. I hope, if he's going to follow Mr. Hume's admonition, that he seek out some one of those really HUGE mega-Churches, somewhere where there are ten of thousands of people waving arms and crying and holding onto eachother. The good news there is that they won't know who the heck he is because while he's been playing golf on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, they have still been down in one of the church's seven auditoriums studying whether it's a sin to pay income taxes.

Nope. I've changed my mind.

What I would like him to do is appear on the Fox News Network and explain to Mr. Hume that the broadcaster doesn't know the first thing about Buddhism.

Joe(Then smile and shut up.)Nation
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 05:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
It is just as clear that Buddhists, Taoists, Hindus, Muslims et al believe their religion is right and the rest of them wrong,

not so much the case with Hinduism

One mountain, many paths.

http://hinduism.iskcon.com/img/concepts/onegoal2.jpg

also known as

Quote:
the paths are many but the peak is one

etc etc

ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 05:17 pm
@ehBeth,
http://www.religioustolerance.org/quotes5.htm

Quote:
Ramakrishna, a Hindu mystic: "God has made different religions to suit different aspirations, times and countries...one can reach God if one follows any of the paths with wholehearted devotion."

Chief Tecumseh of the Six Tribe Confederation: "Trouble no one about their religion, respect all in their views, and demand that they respect yours."

Rabbi Eric Yoffie, head of Reform Judaism's Union of American Hebrew Congregations: "Our view is that there is truth and holiness in other religious faiths. Our view is that there are many paths to God." He was commenting on a statement by Jim Sibley, head of the Southern Baptists' Mission to the Jews, who said that trust in Jesus is the only way to attain heaven that Jews can have atonement for sin only by this path.

Ancient Japanese saying: "There are many paths up the Mountain, but the view of the moon from the top is the same."
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 05:37 pm
BTW, I certainly did not mean to imply that a Buddhist is "incapable of feeling outrage", humans are humans after all. I would however be willing to bet that if 1000 people were asked:

"What is the first word you think of when hearing the word Buddhist?"
that that word "outrage" would not appear on the list.

The two words are about as contradictory as possible,
as in:
born-again Christian and open-minded.

Joe(You name the wager.)Nation
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 06:06 pm
I just converted to Buddhism so I could be outraged... an I am. Oh sweat moral indignation... mmmmm

That's what it's all about
K
O
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 06:55 pm
@farmerman,
Ahh... I get it.

I don't agree with you.
I am flawed for not understanding what you were actually trying to say.
You don't give a **** about whether or not I do.

And yet you felt compelled to respond.

I am quite capable of entertaining two conflicting POVs. I am also quite capable of recognizing when one is a load of crap.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 06:12 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
ACtually, I came into the therad, disagreeing with your following statement:
Quote:
What he said is that forgiveness and redemption are not central tenets of Buddhism as they are with Christianity.

If you have any knowledge of either religion, you know this to be true.

I tried, with a little failed attempt at humor, to disgree honorably. We both gradually started taking things personally and we both upped the numbers on the rancorometer. Then when you posted the unforgettable

Quote:
where is the Buddhiat outrage
Someone who was more familiar with Buiddhim would laugh at the inconsistency of that. (I still really dont know whether you werent reaching for humor because it would have been a clever statement). Buddhist "outrage" is like Jewish "Afterlives" or Catholic "papal timeliness".

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 03:17 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

ACtually, I came into the therad, disagreeing with your following statement:
Quote:
What he said is that forgiveness and redemption are not central tenets of Buddhism as they are with Christianity.

I tried, with a little failed attempt at humor, to disgree honorably. We both gradually started taking things personally and we both upped the numbers on the rancorometer. Then when you posted the unforgettable

Quote:
where is the Buddhiat outrage
Someone who was more familiar with Buiddhim would laugh at the inconsistency of that. (I still really dont know whether you werent reaching for humor because it would have been a clever statement). Buddhist "outrage" is like Jewish "Afterlives" or Catholic "papal timeliness".

Fair enough

"Buddhist outrage" is only incongruous in the sense that "Christian violence" is as well.

Modern, Western liberal reaction:

"Buddhist outrage" is ridiculous when compared to the Buddhist ideal.

Suggesting that the same is true for "Christian violence" is ridiculous because we all know that there is a considerable degree of violence associated with the practice of Christianity.

If you can't see the contradiction of approach here, I will be dissappointed.

There are the teachings, and there are the followers (sincere and otherwise).

Outrage fits no better within Buddhist teachings than violence fits within Christian teachings and yet too many Western liberals are more than happy to give a pass to the practioners of Buddhism when considering the teachings of the Buddha; while at the same time insisting that the teachings of Christ should be judged by the practices of his followers.

This is as clear and simple as the noses on our respective faces.

If you came to this thread intending to disagree with my original statement (the following) then you lost your way.

Quote:

If you wish to refute this claim, please do so.

BTW - You have not met your stated intent.

We all have our personal opinions about religion, and I am happy to discuss them in a civil manner.

I have very little tolerance for the practioners of any one religion insisting that they know the true way and all others are not only wrong but evil in their erring.

I have even less tolerance for those who claim that all religion is irrational but single one out as much worse than another --- simply because of political preferences.

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 03:26 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Buddhism makes you work out your meshooga ways in amanner like "Groundhog Day". Whats Christianity got over that? Christians just say a coupla "hail Jesus's" and get absolution. A Buddhist has to understand what hes done wrong and work it out over successive existences.

Gimme Buddha anyday over the Holy Kid.

Brit Hume is a tool, simple.

You are referencing Catholicism, I believe. Protestantism does not give absolution. Let us not disenfranchise the Protestants. They gave us this lovely country to live in.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 03:49 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
It is just as clear that Buddhists, Taoists, Hindus, Muslims et al believe their religion is right and the rest of them wrong,

not so much the case with Hinduism

One mountain, many paths.

http://hinduism.iskcon.com/img/concepts/onegoal2.jpg

also known as

Quote:
the paths are many but the peak is one

etc etc

My comment refers to Hindus.

Your rebuttal refers to Hinduism.

Are you suggesting that all Hindus are perfect followers of Hinduism?

I know you don't think that all Christians are perfect followers of Christianity.

The problem I see and am criticizing is not the sloppy thinking that your argument implies, but the ideologically based bias that forces you, and others, to regard Christianity (The Western and The American religion) in an entirely different way than you regard Eastern religions.

For Liberals, there is a very special ill regard for Christianity which belies their usually stated displeasure with all religion. Clearly, Christianity is no more or less rational than Buddhism, Islam, Taoism etc.

Christianity is singled out because:

1) It is the irrational faith they are most familiar with
2) It is a belief system that they associate with an ideology they despise more than the irrationality of religion

Clearly, Christianity is no "worse" than Islam, Buddhism, Judaeism etc if your focal point is that the irrationality of religion is negative.

It may become "worse" if you find it inseperable from a political ideology, and cultural construct you find repugnant above all others.

Sadly, I don't think that those who reflexively attack Christianity do so for even the secondary reasons one might fault a particular faith. Rather they do so because in the tribe to which they feel they belong, Christianity is seen as little more than a symbol or affectation. America is bad; therefore Western thought is bad; therefore capitalism is bad; therefore Christianity is bad; therefore TV is bad; therefore American Pop Culture is bad; therefore dead White European Men are bad; therefore Tea Parties are bad; etc etc etc.

It is the sanctimonius elitism of erstwhile self-loathing American liberals that I despise.

dyslexia

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 04:49 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
It is the sanctimonius elitism of erstwhile self-loathing American liberals that I despise.
Yes, I'm sure that it is.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 06:31 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
For Liberals, there is a very special ill regard for Christianity which belies their usually stated displeasure with all religion.

Not really. We're equal opportunity blasphemers. And why not? Blasphemy is, after all, a victimless crime.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Clearly, Christianity is no more or less rational than Buddhism, Islam, Taoism etc.

I agree. Clearly they are all fairytales. Some fairytales are more pleasant than others but, no difference in principle.

FinndAbuzz wrote:

Thanks for sharing your feelings, Finn. Are you feeling better now that they're off your chest?
dlowan

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 06:35 pm
@Thomas,
He shares them a lot...he should be fine with that much purging.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 06:41 pm
@dlowan,
I almost wish I could be an American liberal. I imagine it would feel good to have been that helpful to someone's purging process.
dlowan

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 07:15 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I almost wish I could be an American liberal. I imagine it would feel good to have been that helpful to someone's purging process.

Leaves a lot of undesirable waste products lying around, though.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 07:18 pm
@dlowan,
there are services that help with that
Thomas

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 10:27 pm
@ehBeth,
... thanks to government services American liberals voted for. I agree with you -- I wish I could be one of them.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 01:57 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
Not really. We're equal opportunity blasphemers. And why not? Blasphemy is, after all, a victimless crime.

Precious few are.

One need only participate in any number of A2K threads to appreciate this.

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your feelings, Finn. Are you feeling better now that they're off your chest?

You're welcome Thomas.

Are you feeling better for your post?