Culligan Mark 59 Automatic Water Conditioner brine tank overflowed

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 12:41 pm
I have a Culligan Mark 59 Automatic Water Conditioner, in my home, purchased in 1986, by the previous owner. It has worked faithfully, for 15 years, until the other day, when I came home to a small flood in my laundry room. The brine tank had overflowed. Has anyone had this problem and if so, is it worth fixing? From what I have read, Culligan repairs are very expensive ($400?). Maybe it's just better to buy a new one? I realized that I was totally out of salt - would that cause this? Or has the Dubl-Safe valve failed? I also noticed that there is a bit of sand in the bottom of the brine tank. Does it just need to be cleaned? I have emptied all the water, except 5 inches, as per the manual. I am nervous about filling it with salt and turning it on. I think I will have to stand-by and watch the entire cycle, to ensure that the tank won't overflow again. I really don't want to have to buy a new, if not absolutely necessary. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 6,640 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Davethewaterdoctor

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 06:03 pm
@islandgirl50,
I would buy a new system! That system is 25 years old! The resin inside the tank is definetly shot and needs to be replaced every 7-10 yrs no matter what! If you are on city water than I would recommend a MODERN system that is capable of removing the chloramines the city adds which is chlorine and ammonia......THE SYSTEM I SELL IS THE ECOWATER ERR 3502 REFINER its a SOFTENER AND A WHOLE HOUSE FILTER(has a lifetime warranty on the resin and carbon inside).....these 2 chemicals destroy a resin bed much and the valve would need a new seal pack(what culligan calls it)which is the moving part inside the valve....this service would cost about $500 ballpark so i would recommend a new system!

what city and state are you in?
0 Replies

islandgirl50

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 06:52 pm
Thank you very much for the reply. I just checked on-line and found an EcoWater dealer in my area and will check them out. I really appreciate your help!
Davethewaterdoctor

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 07:09 pm
@islandgirl50,
Look at the better business bureau.........Im not trying to scare you but EVERY DEALER IS INDEPENDANT! They only sell EcoWater Systems! Might want to see if they have a good reputation first! Tell them you want a free water test......they will send out a REP and hear them out and ask for an estimate in WRITING!

I am a Eco Dealer and i can assure you that the 3500 series REFINER is ONE OF A KIND! The company stands behind the product! Let me know what the estimate is and i will tell you if it is fair!

WORLD LARGEST MANUFACTURER OF RESIDENTIAL WATER TREATMENT SYSTEMS! EcoWater Systems made in the USA!
0 Replies

waterdude

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 08:50 pm
@islandgirl50,
Hello
I've been servicing all major brands for over 25yrs and definitely have your water tested and see what is out there ....every company will tell you there water units are the best but check on warranty from parts to labor most companies will haul off old unit ....ask for a trade in ....its a very competitive market
take care
0 Replies