Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 11:57 am
@tsarstepan,
Neko Case....
http://30daysout.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/neko-case-an02.jpg
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 12:04 pm
Andy wrote:
You'll find scads of atheists among the posters here, dteroittou.

And pagans and heathens..
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 12:18 pm
@contrex,
Thieves tend to prefer gnomes. Big sculptures are too heavy for the average crack addict and most don't want to mess with something that is easily identifiable. I would worry more about gas grills and patio furniture. I've created gardens in both urban and rural areas and have yet to lose a sculpture to theft. It is possible to chain the objects in ways it will not be seen if you really think it might be a problem. I think your wife should relax and not give into her fears. The terrorists win when we deprive ourselves of garden sculptures.
Francis

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 12:27 pm
@contrex,
What about this one, Contrex?

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/5928844.jpg
rosborne979

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 12:32 pm
@Francis,
This thread turned out to be a lot more fun than I thought it was going to be.
Francis

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 12:40 pm
@rosborne979,
You mean you like the way I turned it into?

Paganism is funnier than religion!
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 01:15 pm
@Green Witch,
Quote:
Contrex, what is your wife's objection? I think that's a fine choice.

I'm wondering the same thing.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 01:17 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
She likes it too, but she says it will be stolen.

Ah. There's the answer. If you live in a city, it more than likely will get lifted. That is, depending on how big it is. It looks like a small scultpure.

When I lived in New England in the city I planted tulips around a dogwood tree. Practically every single one of them were stolen. I even watched people drive up to the tree itself and hack off branches of the tree when it was in full bloom.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 01:28 pm
@Gala,
Like GWitch, I've designed hundreds of gardens, and haven't heard that any sculpture was taken from a clients front yard space - on the other hand I've tended to tuck them into a planting area (even if they are a focal point by definition) and they tend to be heavy. And, I am more likely to put a fountain or planter in a front yard garden than a standalone sculpture.

On the other hand again, I had a garden sculpture taken from my front porch. I had a glass windscreen that rested on a concrete wall, the wall having a kind of shelf on either side of the glass apparatus. That's where I put the concrete dog - fairly heavy but not impossible to lift - that a friend had given me. And that's where someone came up the steps to the porch and took it.

I never did decide if it was just too charming to pass up or if it was fodder for the drug purchase mill like gnomes can be. I hope in retrospect that it was taken for the charm and that the guilty party is enjoying it.
Gala

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 01:31 pm
@ossobuco,
It depends on where you live, too. On the East coast, it can get a little cramped and rangy in some cities.

I think I used bad grammar on previous post it out to have been: "practically every single one of them was stolen."
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 01:31 pm
@Green Witch,
what you guys are missing here is the reasoning behind the theft of gnomes by the drug addled.

they don't try to sell them, they sit and talk to them while they are stoned.

gnomes are really funny when you get them high... Shocked
ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 01:35 pm
@ossobuco,
I guess I should add that when I design a front yard, it most often turns into a semiprivate space - not usually a completely screened view from the sidewalk or street, but not just a lawn with one tree either. (Remember the book, Revenge of the Lawn?)
contrex

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 01:54 pm
@Francis,
Francis wrote:
What about this one, Contrex?

That looks like the one in Sanremo, which is my favourite.

Green Witch

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 01:54 pm
@ossobuco,
As usual, Osso and I agree. Forget all that foundation planting of puffy, sheared shrubs. A garden should be designed to envelope a property. Garden beds should undulate around the property lines and snuggle up to sidewalks, driveways and roads to create privacy and feeling of an outside room. Think courtyard.

Gala - plant virginia creeper around your dogwood and put up a sign that says "poison ivy do not touch". Most people can't tell the difference between those two plants and will not go near it- bulbs can still pop up amongst it. If the bulbs themselves were missing it was more likely squirrels. People will pick flowers, but rarely dig up a bulb. The other thing is most tulips are like annuals and do not come back year after year - if you want perennials you should plant daffodils. Daffodils are poisonous and squirrels know it.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 02:00 pm
@Rockhead,
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 02:09 pm
It has more to do with the Gnome Liberation Front:

http://www.freethegnomes.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travelling_gnome_prank
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 02:18 pm
@contrex,
It reminds me the phrase:

- over the strong nudity of Truth, the diaphanous cloak of fantasy..
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 02:25 pm
How did this turn into a landscaping thread?
Francis

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 02:27 pm
@Merry Andrew,
You know, the mysteries of god...
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 02:32 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Here's your answer MA!
http://i46.tinypic.com/ev9mic.jpg
http://www.channel4.com/film/media/images/Channel4/film/B/being_there_xl_02--film-A.jpg
god is a Gardener....
0 Replies