Is it or isn't it?

fresco

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 06:09 pm
@neologist,
Harris's argument is about "most believers" (who don't want to know about theological nuances).
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 11:36 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:
I believe the "good people/bad things" quote is currently being used in the modern context of Islamic suicide bombers though reference is equally applicable to Christianity with respect to the Crusades etc.

Yes those, and it also could include the practice of withholding lifesaving medical treatment due to religious conviction.
Eorl

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 11:51 pm
@mesquite,
Or even something like inducing guilt over sexuality.

I must say though, I think good people do bad things all the time, and vice versa in spite of, because of, and without any relationship to religion.
neologist

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 11:54 pm
@mesquite,
Are you referring to the topic adequately discussed in this thread?
http://able2know.org/topic/81075-1
neologist

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 11:55 pm
@Eorl,
Are you saying I have been to tough on RR?
Eorl

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 12:08 am
@neologist,
Don't know what you're referring to. Certainly wasn't aimed at you.
I just think it's one of those fairly defined points of difference between good Christians (Muslims, some others) and good non-Christians. I think a good many youth suicides could be avoided through eliminating church induced (or lifestyle induced if that's your side) guilt.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 05:47 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Are you referring to the topic adequately discussed in this thread?
http://able2know.org/topic/81075-1

Yes, the JW's quirkiness about blood is included, but there are also the Christian Scientists and many smaller Christian groups that promote faith healing over conventional medicine.
Eorl

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 06:34 pm
@mesquite,
Oddly enough, the mainstream media (here at least) seem quite comfortable, perhaps even excited that a single "act" of faith healing, which she managed to accomplish long after her death, is allowing the canonization of Mary MacKillop.

0 Replies