Is it or isn't it?

fresco

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 06:12 pm
@neologist,
What has consistency got to do with it ? Different parts of the bible were written/selected at various times according to different sociological agenda. Attempts at parallels between "a unified God" and "a unified text" belong in the disneyesque world of "theology".
neologist

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 08:54 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

So then, by tying in the idea that "God is love" with your admonition that there should be a reconciliation betewen the demanding Mosaic Law and the teachings of Jesus, do you see Mosaic Law as unloving?
On the contrary.
It was necessary to identify the Messiah, without whom we would have no hope
neologist

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 08:56 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Thats because she affirms her existence from Timothy primarily and "tradition" is said to equal scripture, (thats wha Paul meant according to several Vatican councils)

As far as Evangelicals and "recent" fundamentalists, I dont know why they havent been quick to embrace Nag Hamadi , do you?
I can't say. Many 'evangelicals' have developed their own traditions. Rolling in the aisles, picking up snakes, etc.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 09:01 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

What has consistency got to do with it ? Different parts of the bible were written/selected at various times according to different sociological agenda. Attempts at parallels between "a unified God" and "a unified text" belong in the disneyesque world of "theology".
If the Bible's claim of consistency is not borne out by examination. Then the Bible is not reliable.
I've been waiting for some believers to step in here and explain how they reconcile the Hebrew and Greek texts.
Or not.
JPB

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 09:09 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

It was necessary to identify the Messiah, without whom we would have no hope

I have plenty of hope, neo (good to see you, btw), but it doesn't come from a redemptive messiah.
fresco

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 01:04 am
@neologist,
Quote:
...the Bible's claim...
Question

Presumably "believers" may make such a claim, not the text per se ! Surely this is a circular argument.

BTW. As far as the Hebrew text is concerned, I understand that different interpretations are de rigeur for orthodox Jews, since it was written without vowels. This point stands in addition to post-modernist views of the inseparability of text from social context.
neologist

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 01:38 am
@JPB,
understood
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 01:43 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Quote:
...the Bible's claim...
Question

Presumably "believers" may make such a claim, not the text per se ! Surely this is a circular argument. . .

My initial post:
neologist wrote:
The Bible has this to say about itself:
"All scripture is given by inspiration of God. . . " (2Timothy 3:16)

Surely, this is the claim of the text.

Either true
or not
fresco

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 01:53 am
@neologist,
If I were a believer in "God" then such a belief could encompass a deity as creator/inspirer of everything. Hence the claim (by Timothy as such a believer) is tautologically valid.

In the words of Richard Rorty, "Truth is what works".
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 03:46 am
@neologist,

Quote:

I think the the two conceptually key words are 'inspiration' and 'God'. Every individual has an idea of who/what they consider 'God' to be and his or her conceptualization of that will inform what 'inspiration' they take from life they see around them. This is and has always been so. The writers of the Old and New Testament are no different in their humanness and tendencies toward individual perception and/or bias than are people of today.
One can learn as much about how not to be and what not to do as they can about what they should strive to be and do by reading the Bible.

And one can look at the world and the people in it and find as much evidence to convince them that God is love, as they can to convince them that that, in fact, can't be true.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 09:40 pm
Where is Frank Apisa when you need him?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 09:41 pm
@neologist,
He got angry at the evolutionists and departed, never (so he said) to return.
neologist

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 09:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
He could certainly spice up a discussion
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 09:47 pm
@neologist,
Frank's a good guy, but when we would not give him an inch on the thread, he left in a snit.
neologist

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 10:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
It was so much fun to get him started in a rant
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 10:47 pm
I miss him also.
neologist

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 11:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
Maybe if we promised him beer
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 11:51 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

The Bible has this to say about itself:

If it is true then Timmy is correct by definition. If it is not true, then it is not.

I can't help wondering what "All scripture" means. Probably safer to interpret as Judeo-Christian scripture only, right?
Eorl

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 11:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I miss him also.

Me too. He pulled me from the brink of Atheism, and left me an agnostic with extremely atheistic tendencies. But for God's sake, don't tell him.
neologist

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 12:33 am
@Eorl,
I think it's safe to assume that Paul was referring to only that contained between the covers.