To Spike Eggnog or Not Spike Eggnog... that is the question!

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 06:28 pm
http://www.sciencefriday.com/videos/watch/10186
http://a6.vox.com/6a00d10a77d2168bfa00e398c9dc1e0004-500pi
Quote:
It is a question on the minds of many people this season: will adding alcohol to the homemade eggnog safeguard against salmonella? To find out, Science Friday teamed up with eggnog expert and microbiologist Vince Fischetti, who agreed to run some tests in his lab at The Rockefeller University.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 06:44 pm
Neat!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 06:45 pm
@tsarstepan,
Am I to understand that there are people who actually drink untreated eggnog? With no rum or cognac or whatever added? I'll be damned! Learn sumpin' new every blessed day.
djjd62

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 06:46 pm
surely with enough rum, you hardly notice the salmonella
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 07:05 pm
@Merry Andrew,
People are putting what in rum ? Eggnog ? It even sounds dangerous. Dare I ask how you make this so called eggnog and what benefit there is to putting it in rum ?
roger

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 07:59 pm
@Ionus,
I think you've got a good, healthy outlook on the whole thing.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 10:22 pm
This sounds like a job for Mythbusters!
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 10:26 pm
@boomerang,
That's an episode I would love to see!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 05:55 pm
@boomerang,
Anyone wants to donate some money and become an official sponsor or perhaps an actual participant in a possible personal trial run so I can try this experiment, send their donation via Paypal....

Donations of unopened bottles of Maker's Mark or Crown Royal or equal quality whiskey will also be accepted. Turpentine and other paint thinners will not be accepted as donations.

Remember... egg nogg probably doesn't mail very well so don't bother mailing me a quart of egg nog as a donation.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 06:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
Makers Mark is a legitimate bourbon whisky, Crown Royal is a Canadian blended soft whisky, they are barely related. (Makers Mark is very drinkable, Crown Royal not so much) George Dickel is even better than Makers Mark. (Gene Roddenberry liked Dickel so much he showcased it as "Saurian Brandy" in several episodes of original star trek.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 06:43 pm
@dyslexia,
I'm still new to this whiskey game. In fact, the first time I drank Makers Mark was a couple of weeks ago. Lovely stuff indeed.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 06:48 pm
@tsarstepan,
Our eggnog has already alcohol (min. 14 %) in there when you buy it,
and that's how it should be.
http://static.twoday.net/warmekueche/images/Eierlikoer.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 06:57 pm
@CalamityJane,
Cool bottle too! So... will you be sending it overnight or priority mail? Very Happy

Preferably by the caseful please!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 07:02 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

Makers Mark is a legitimate bourbon whisky, Crown Royal is a Canadian blended soft whisky, they are barely related. (Makers Mark is very drinkable, Crown Royal not so much) George Dickel is even better than Makers Mark. (Gene Roddenberry liked Dickel so much he showcased it as "Saurian Brandy" in several episodes of original star trek.

I've had one glass of Dickel in my life and it was one of the finest drinks I've ever had. It was at my great-uncle's wake; my great-aunt busted it out and gave all us guys a small glass together. That was 11 years ago and I remember the taste like it was yesterday.

Cycloptichorn
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 07:07 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Dickel sounds like something I could not possibly afford these days.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 07:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
here in albaturkey Dickel and Makers Mark are about the same price.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 07:52 pm
@dyslexia,
I also note that I prefer Dickel number 12 (white label) over number 8 (black label)
Diane

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 08:09 pm
We need to have another a2k get together to test this scientifically, in large numbers, to make it a credible experiment.

Those who prefer their Dickel or Maker's Mark untinkered with, will be as welcome as the noggers. We can meet in someone's state room. Doesn't matter who's state room, with enough booze, they would thank us for coming and invite us back anytime.

Y'all cone back now, hear? Hic...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 08:20 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

I also note that I prefer Dickel number 12 (white label) over number 8 (black label)

Whiskey is enviably cheap where you are.

Mind you, after years of hearing about Bushmills from Stoat, I was horribly disappointed when I drank it.

Shall Dickel be ok if I try it? (I have never seen it)
dyslexia

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 09:42 pm
@dlowan,
well Bushmills markets both single malt and blended whiskey's, and are Irish whiskeys which to me are quite harsh compared to american bourbon whisky's. I suppose it's a simple matter of preferred taste as I don't care for Scotch (either single malt or blended) nor Irish whiskeys. In spite of it's good name I really dislike Jack Daniels, The only bourbons/whiskys found in our house are Wild Turkey (80 proof) Makers Mark and George Dickel No. 12.