Kinetico Watersoftener

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 06:54 pm
I was referred to ANDY CWS from this site to ask for instructions / help in changing the carbon in a kinetico water softener. Its about 7 years old on municipal water. It works really well, but I would like to change out the carbon. I have both centaur and coconut shell carbon, which should be better? How much. I am not sure of the model number, but they are two smaller tanks stacked on on another and then then side by side. ( 4 tanks total ). The machine has a number 2 disc in the top. It tests soft every time I've checked, although it uses more salt than the Eco machines I was used to. I have alot of experience with the Eco machines, having installed and repaired close to a hundred, but know nothing about the kinetico, and I don't want to hurt the machine. Any help that you can give would be great. Ed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,223 • Replies: 7
No top replies

keith White

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 08:07 am
@eddyseven,
Ed,
I would contact a Kinetico dealer for the specs on your system. You can find a dealer by going to www.kinetico.com and entering a zip code.
0 Replies

eddyseven

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 08:17 am
I have experience repairing water softeners, but the EcoWater machines, and have all the tools and carbon to replace the media in the Kinetico installed in my home. The local Kinetico guys won't give me the info/diagram on how to disassemble the machine as it pulls a service call from their store. I understood that Andy CWS was a kinetico guy and could possibly give me some direction, but thank you anyhow for the suggestion. Ed
0 Replies

Andy CWS

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 06:23 am
@eddyseven,
eddyseven wrote:

I was referred to ANDY CWS from this site to ask for instructions / help in changing the carbon in a kinetico water softener. Its about 7 years old on municipal water. It works really well, but I would like to change out the carbon. I have both centaur and coconut shell carbon, which should be better? How much. I am not sure of the model number, but they are two smaller tanks stacked on on another and then then side by side. ( 4 tanks total ). The machine has a number 2 disc in the top. It tests soft every time I've checked, although it uses more salt than the Eco machines I was used to. I have alot of experience with the Eco machines, having installed and repaired close to a hundred, but know nothing about the kinetico, and I don't want to hurt the machine. Any help that you can give would be great. Ed

Did you get it worked out?
eddyseven

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 07:08 am
@Andy CWS,
Hello Andy, thanks for replying. No I haven't even pulled it apart yet, so any direction you can give me on removing the head and two tanks would be great. I'm on hard municipal water (18GPG), and they put alot of chlorine, and I know the chlorine is coming through so the original carbon is exhausted. I also wanted to know if the carbon is packed right to the top of the tank, (I expect the two top tanks) or is there freeboard?.). Ed
Andy CWS

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 03:51 pm
@eddyseven,
Contact me through PM or email for detailed answer.

The carbon will be on the bottom of a 4040 and top of a 4060.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
eddyseven

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 06:42 am
@Andy CWS,
Thank you, I will locate the model # either 4040 or 4060 to determine. What is your email and I will contact you that way. The other question was if there was any free board on these machines, or are they filled to capacity like some of the Hague equipment? Ed
0 Replies

dhamblet

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 12:48 am
@eddyseven,
I can tell you how I removed the tops from my Kinetico 2060 tanks. Just tap them lightly on the ends with a rubber mallet. They will easily unscrew. Now if someone could tell me what type of media Kinetico uses in their 2060 2 tank softener/iron filter it would be appreciated. I have some extra I salvaged from a freeze damaged 2 yr old Kinetico filter. I used some to top off my tanks but still have a bunch left I'd like to sell. Any ideas what it is and what its worth?
0 Replies