God permits the execution of a pastor at His home.

djjd62

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 12:33 pm
@Jason Proudmoore,
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
I'm going to leave you with a quote from Steven Weinberg that really provides me with the incentive in trying to wake some people up from their ignorance and intolerance:
"you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion."

well then they're evil people, regardless of what they believe, i can believe that the bottle of water in front of me is a bottle of beer, but it ain't

Francis

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 12:41 pm
djjd wrote:
i can believe that the bottle of water in front of me is a bottle of beer, but it ain't
In order to believe you, I need to taste..
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 12:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
Thanks!
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 01:04 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Quote:
I can't believe this Proudmoore dude is wasting all this space and everyone's time, posting long diatribes about something he doesn't even believe in.

If you think that it is a waste of time, don't read anything I post...nor even post anything that seems a waste of time...it is as simple as it is logical.

Quote:
I ask again: WHAT IS THE POINT?

It's a waste of time to you...move it alone and mingle with the rest of the patients.
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 01:17 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
well then they're evil people, regardless of what they believe

If their evil actions are the products of deceive, then would they be considered evil?
djjd62

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 01:25 pm
@Jason Proudmoore,
yes, in my opinion

a soldier following orders is not enough justification in my mind
Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 02:28 pm
@djjd62,
An evil person has to have malice in order to be evil...I don't think that the intention of some religious people is to do wicked things. There are religious people who don't follow the religious doctrines to the letter...but there are some who do, justified. And there are religious people (specially in Christianity) who change their doctrines to conform to the zeitgeist of this era, because their religious books are teeming with human atrocities. They cherry-pick what's good for them, ignoring all the wicked things that their books hold..
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 04:23 pm
@Jason Proudmoore,
Jason Proudmoore wrote:

Quote:
well then they're evil people, regardless of what they believe

If their evil actions are the products of deceive, then would they be considered evil?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "products of deceive" but if you mean by that phrase "results of deceit" then I'd refer you to Plato (or Socrates, if you will): "No man errs willingly." No one (except a sociopath or other psychopath) performs an evil deed believing that it is evil. The Nazis who indiscriminately slaughtered Jews believed the Jews to be evil, not themselves. We dropped napalm on helpless Vietnamese civilians and never thought we were performing an evil act.

If you look at history, you will find literally thousands of indefensible acts being commited in the name of religion -- the auto da fes of the Inquisition, the indiscriminate slaughter of the Crusades, these are just small samples of religious lunacy. But do you really think that the clerics, including the Pope, who perpetrated these acts thought that they were doing something immoral, something 'evil' ? I doubt that very much. Another thing: these things were not done as a result of any deceit but, rather, woeful misunderstanding.

To commit a wrongful act is to make a mistake.
Intrepid

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 05:13 pm
Jason appears to be a BillRM with a bit better command of the English language. Other than that...they could be one and the same.

Jason types a lot but says little. His method of trying to convert people to his way of thinking is, in my opinion, far worse than anything I have every seen with someone trying to convert someone over to their religion. I am only glad that his rantings are against rather than for religion. Otherwise, religion could get a bad name. Laughing
djjd62

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 05:19 pm
@Intrepid,
he's like the anti-jehovah (witnesses)
Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 07:38 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Quote:
"No man errs willingly." No one (except a sociopath or other psychopath) performs an evil deed believing that it is evil. The Nazis who indiscriminately slaughtered Jews believed the Jews to be evil, not themselves.

Hating someone for being different is evil...harming someone for no reason at all is evil...deceiving others to believe that God exists, and He hates the Jews, and wants the Jews to die because they were the reason His son (Himself) was crucified, is evil.

Quote:
We dropped napalm on helpless Vietnamese civilians and never thought we were performing an evil act.

But some people knew we were doing something wicked.

Quote:
If you look at history, you will find literally thousands of indefensible acts being commited in the name of religion -- the auto da fes of the Inquisition, the indiscriminate slaughter of the Crusades, these are just small samples of religious lunacy.

I'll give you an example of what I mean...do you remember the Spaniard Dominican priest who traveled with Christopher Columbus to the New World..Bartolomé de las Casas?.When de las Casas arrived to the New World, the Spaniards committed genocide against the aborigines because they didn't belong to Christianity. De las Casas witnessed brutalities done to the Tainos and was appalled by it; he considered the Spaniard intervention evil. He did many things to save the Tainos...to no avail.

Quote:
But do you really think that the clerics, including the Pope, who perpetrated these acts thought that they were doing something immoral, something 'evil' ? I doubt that very much.

I don't know...but there are people who are deceivers and those who are deceived...
There have been instances in which preachers ask followers for donations, with the intention of becoming richer and richer . http://www.religionnewsblog.com/21410/preacher-for-profit-followers-say-they-were-deceived-by-s-florida-pastors-gospel-of-prosperity

This also means that religion makes profit...

Quote:
But do you really think that the clerics, including the Pope, who perpetrated these acts thought that they were doing something immoral, something 'evil' ?

Some are deceivers and some aren't. Some justify their evil deeds as being moral, while others consider them immoral.

Quote:
Another thing: these things were not done as a result of any deceit but, rather, woeful misunderstanding.

In this world overwhelmed by misunderstanding, there has to be a group of people who might know that genocide, child molestation, racism, and other forms of human biases that result in hindering the happiness of others with no logical reason, amount to evil.

Quote:
To commit a wrongful act is to make a mistake.

It is a mistake...but there are others who know it is a mistake and still go alone with it.
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 07:54 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
Jason appears to be a BillRM with a bit better command of the English language. Other than that...they could be one and the same.

But BillRM still makes more sense than anything I have read from you.

Quote:
Jason types a lot but says little.

When it comes to trying to explain something very simple to child...it is not as easy as it may seem...and talking to you, on the other hand...

Quote:
His method of trying to convert people to his way of thinking is, in my opinion, far worse than anything I have every seen with someone trying to convert someone over to their religion

You should feel lucky that I have produced some critical thinking...it is obvious that you don't use your brain very often.

Quote:
I am only glad that his rantings are against rather than for religion. Otherwise, religion could get a bad name.

Where have you been? Religion already has a bad name.

Code: Laughing

Evil or Very Mad

0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 07:56 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
he's like the anti-jehovah (witnesses)

Evil or Very Mad
djjd62

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 08:08 pm
@Jason Proudmoore,
come on, that deserved a Twisted Evil
Intrepid

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 08:19 pm
@djjd62,
Jason doesn't seem to have a very refined sense of humour. I guess that is hard to do when someone is so full of hate.

I do my best not to take Jason too seriously. Otherwise, I would be convinced that I am a raving lunatic with no redeeming qualities and a complete and utter lack of comprehension of the world around me.
Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 08:40 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
Jason doesn't seem to have a very refined sense of humour.

Was that intended as a joke? You make me laugh when you talk seriously; and when you're joking, it's not even funny...now, be serious.
Quote:
I guess that is hard to do when someone is so full of hate.

I don't hate anybody, Intrepid...I already explained that to you.

Quote:
I do my best not to take Jason too seriously.

You're doing a good job when you're serious.

Quote:
Otherwise, I would be convinced that I am a raving lunatic with no redeeming qualities and a complete and utter lack of comprehension of the world around me.

Don't say that....you're not a lunatic... Evil or Very Mad

0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 08:44 pm
I am bored with Jason. Time to move on to an interesting thread.
Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 10:18 pm
@Intrepid,
I thought the comedian was you...make us laugh with your jokes...don't go away.
0 Replies

tenderfoot

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 12:16 am
I think intrepid in his failure to come up with a realistic answer to most of your statements and seeing what answers he does give seems always to be mythical in their context, he's -- thrown in the towel. A typical religiose creationist reaction,
me thinks.
0 Replies