Should I even try for Harvard Business School?

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 06:58 pm
I'm in my 3rd semester of university (it's not a major one by any means) and have this dream of going to an Ivy League School - fully aware that I'd be paying upwards of $75,000 for a great education but mostly a brand name. I'm a white middle class male with no connections. I get good grades easily and might even fit their rubric for prospective students but I think they are more concerned about experience - the average work experience a new student is around 5 years... What type of experience specifically might they be looking for and how can I [plan to] get it? Lastly, would it be better to save the $250 I'd spend on the application fee and just go to an average business school?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,309 • Replies: 5
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 07:20 pm
@brokencdplayer,
I'm not sure if good grades is enough to qualify for Harvard Business School unless you're being modest about your academic career. Perhaps you should consider going to Baruch College http://zicklin.baruch.cuny.edu/admissions/grad/ in New York City? Or NYU?
brokencdplayer

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 07:31 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm just saying "good grades" is about all I can do at this point in my academic career.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 07:38 pm
@brokencdplayer,
It's worth the $250 to get the experience of applying. They will consider any internships and job experience you have had - it does not have to be Wall St. related. They will want references from professors and people you have worked for. You will be required to compose various essays and short answer questions. It would have helped if you had a family member who was a graduate, but not everyone who gets in has had that. If all of the above goes well, you will be called in for face to face interviews. I think you will learn something just from the process, so I say go for it.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 07:43 pm
@brokencdplayer,
I was implying that your competition for Harvard Graduate School would be pretty stiff considering it's a prestigious institution on a global scale.
Quote:
According to a class profile posted on the MBA Admissions Office's Web site, the incoming Class of 2011 currently has 942 enrolled students, 42 more than last year's entering class. The Business School received 9,093 applications"its second-highest total ever"which corresponds to a 12 percent acceptance rate. The school also reported a yield rate of 89 percent.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2009/7/9/harvard-business-school-enrolls-largest-class/

Did you take your GMAT?
0 Replies

MASSAGAT

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 06:55 pm
Why don't you try to get some experience in Business first? Some would say that an MBA( from almost any school) is much more valuable when the student has been in the business world since they can see the application of the principals and techniques learned in class to the real world.
0 Replies