Seed

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 06:47 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I thought so. But I couldn't remember. Either way I know I was very upset when he was left out of the film.
Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 07:53 pm
@Seed,
I read that it was felt that Tom Bombadil and Goldberry don't really contribute anything whatever to the plot of the Ring cycle. Therefore, the feeling went, including them would just make the film unnecesesarily longer. There's some justification for that, I think. They're fun characters in the book but they really have nothing at all to do with the main story. So why not leave 'em on the cutting room floor?
Seed

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 07:55 pm
@Merry Andrew,
cus they are FUN CHARACTERS and I was really looking forward to seeing them?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 09:02 pm
@Seed,
I'd not desribe the relationship between Frodo and Shelob as steamy and romantic.

It made me think Tolkien was a damn strange fellow, though.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 11:00 pm
@dlowan,
I think Shelob is in Lord of the Rings, not The Hobbit.

In The Hobbit, the dwarves get captured by spiders in Mirkwood. Bilbo sings the Ettercap song, and throws rocks at the spiders.
dlowan

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 11:02 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

I think Shelob is in Lord of the Rings, not The Hobbit.

In The Hobbit, the dwarves get captured by spiders in Mirkwood. Bilbo sings the Ettercap song, and throws rocks at the spiders.

Damn. You're right, of course.

I said "Frodo" my very own self, too.

Embarrassed
DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 11:10 pm
@dlowan,
I just earned some nerd cred.
mismi

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 11:16 pm
@DrewDad,
That made me laugh...but you are right DrewDad.

The Hobbit was one of the books that lured me into my love of reading. I have read it many times and read it twice to my three boys. We can't wait for the movie to come out.

I love del Toro's work....it is strange, but beautiful - and I find myself quite unable to stop watching - Pan's Labrynth was disturbing to me - but I loved the artistic nature of it...caused me to think and was absolutely riveting.

Hell Boy was just fun. Love me some Hell Boy.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 11:21 pm
@mismi,
The first Hell Boy was a great film indeed. Pan's Labyrinth is such a tear jerker.
djjd62

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 06:43 am
@tsarstepan,
have you read del toro's book

The Strain
By Guillermo Del Toro & Chuck Hogan
http://www.audible.com/audiblewords/content/bk/harp/001894/t4_image.jpg

The visionary creator of the Academy Award-winning Pan's Labyrinth and a Hammett Award-winning author bring their imaginations to this bold, epic novel about a horrifying battle between man and vampire that threatens all humanity. It is the first installment in a thrilling trilogy and an extraordinary international publishing event.

They have always been here. Vampires. In secret and in darkness. Waiting. Now their time has come. In one week, Manhattan will be gone. In one month, the country. In two months - the world.

A Boeing 777 arrives at JFK and is on its way across the tarmac, when it suddenly stops dead. All window shades are pulled down. All lights are out. All communication channels have gone quiet. Crews on the ground are lost for answers, but an alert goes out to the CDC. Dr. Eph Goodweather, head of their Canary project, a rapid-response team that investigates biological threats, gets the call and boards the plane. What he finds makes his blood run cold.

In a pawnshop in Spanish Harlem, a former professor and survivor of the Holocaust named Abraham Setrakian knows something is happening. And he knows the time has come, that a war is brewing....

So begins a battle of mammoth proportions as the vampiric virus that has infected New York begins to spill out into the streets. Eph, who is joined by Setrakian and a motley crew of fighters, must now find a way to stop the contagion and save his city - a city that includes his wife and son - before it is too late.

Setanta

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 06:55 am
You need fourteen dwarves--Bifur, Bombur, Oin, Gloin, Fili, Kili . . . hell, i don't remember them all. You need all the jokers in Rivendell, of course, and Beorn, and the Elf King in Mirkwood (who doesn't appear in LoTR, but who is the father of Legolas. Then you'll need Bard, and the weasel who is the mayor of the town on the lake. Ian McKellen would be fine as Galdalf, once again.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 11:23 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
The Strain
By Guillermo Del Toro & Chuck Hogan

I haven't yet but it's on my list as I've heard and read a few glowing book reviews about it.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 11:32 am
Danny DeVito as Bilbo.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 11:33 am
Christ, as long as Jackson doesn't ruin this like he did the other LOTR movies, I'll be happy

Cycloptichorn
Seed

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 12:49 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Could have been a lot worse.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 12:54 pm
@Seed,
Seed wrote:

Could have been a lot worse.

****, I guess so. I don't know how though, considering the budgets involved.

What kills me is the addition of new events which weren't in the books. Totally horrible events which changed the story and the characters and their motivations. OH and cutting off the end of the book completely, yeah, forgot about that part, **** that guy Jackson for ruining the story!

Cycloptichorn
Seed

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 12:59 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I dont know very many book to movie adaptations that have ended up with people going "wow, that was just like I remember reading". I hate it. But it has become the norm.
0 Replies

6h0st1nth3m4ch1n3

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 04:25 pm
i cant wait, i havent seen the original since i was like 4-5

ima buy all 4 of them when i get the chance.

thats gonna be an epic ******* movie night!

after that ima get every star wars.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 06:53 pm
@Seed,
Quote:
"We Few, We Happy Few, We Band Of Brothers - Shakespear

Please....can you give Shakespeare his "e"?
Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 07:47 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Quote:
"We Few, We Happy Few, We Band Of Brothers - Shakespear

Please....can you give Shakespeare his "e"?

Why? If his last will and testament is any indication, he didn't spell it that way himself. One spellling, in fact, has it as 'Shackspear". In that document -- which we still have -- his family name is actually spelled four different ways. I think it's when the First Folios were published that the editors decided on the spelling which is current today. Nothing canonical about it.