Sad News For Coronation Street Fans

djjd62

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 04:25 pm
Maggie Jones Dead At Age 75

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/ladslounge/blanche%20coronation%20street.jpg

Maggie Jones, who played Corrie battle-axe Blanche Hunt, has sadly passed away aged 75.

The much-loved actress had been making a slow recovery after falling ill in October, but her condition deteriorated early on Wednesday morning and she died peacefully in her sleep at the Salford Royal Hospital.

William Roache, who plays on-screen son-in-law Ken Barlow, payed tribute to Maggie who has starred as Blanche since 1974.

“Maggie was a big part of the Barlow family and a brilliant actress,” he said. “She was a tower of strength, physically frail but mentally strong as an ox and sharp as someone half her age. She had an amazing dry wit and was as funny, if not funnier than Blanche.” He added: “I don’t think Maggie ever realised how much she was loved not only by everyone on the show but by the millions of Blanche fans out there. She will be greatly missed.”

Coronation Street Executive Producer Kieran Roberts said: “Maggie was a much-loved colleague and a wonderful actress who turned Blanche into a true Coronation Street icon. She will be hugely missed by Coronation Street’s many millions of viewers and by everyone who works on Coronation Street. Our thoughts and prayers go to Maggie’s sister Joan at this very sad time.”

Maggie’s agent Katie Threlfall said: “Maggie was a rare treasure; incredibly kind, honest and loved by so many. It has been such a privilege to work with her, and we will miss her dearly.”

Maggie appeared in more than 830 episodes of Coronation Street and her barbed one-line comments made her one of the best-loved soap characters of all time.

Our thoughts are with Maggie's family and friends at this difficult time.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,364 • Replies: 7
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 04:57 pm
Didn't know the woman, but she was obviously well loved.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 05:14 pm
@djjd62,
Will let my wife know. She watches the show.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 05:18 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
Maggie appeared in more than 830 episodes of Coronation Street and her barbed one-line comments made her one of the best-loved soap characters of all time.

Blanche talking to her daughter and son-in-law: “Good looks are a curse, Deirdre. You and Kenneth should count yourselves lucky.”
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 08:57 pm
Maggie Jones was a big part of the charm of Coronation Street. I don't watch it much anymore but my wife never misses an episode.

0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 02:10 am
Oh noooooo Blanche! I love Blanche...oh bummer, she will be sorely missed from Coro - she played her character well.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 06:35 pm
Apparently, Coronation Street is not very popular. Only 63 views since this thread was posted and only 5 replies prior to this one.
djjd62

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 06:39 pm
@Intrepid,
i don't think it plays well in the US outside of expats

i used to watch it, still do on occasion, i loved blanche, she was a great character
0 Replies