mass tourism

Adverb

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 04:57 am
I encountered such a phrase as "mass tourism" in a short sentence saying that it will have negative effects on the environment, therefore I searched on line to find out what on earth it indeed means. To my surprise, Some gave a definition which is"Mass tourism forms an integral part of the tourist industry. It can be defined from a spiritual point of view as offering to believers a facility to put themselves in relation with the saint they venerate. " I am just confused. Literally, mass means "a large amount of" which gives me the idea that it could mean "a great number of people travelling or having a tour somewhere", but does it contain something related to religion??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 3,351 • Replies: 8
No top replies

saab

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 05:07 am
@Adverb,
If you want to visit a place where you put yourself in relation with the saint you venerate it is a pilgrimage not a mass tourism, even if there are a great number of pilgrims and they attend a mass.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 05:10 am
@Adverb,
Ive heard this term and always thought that it meant something like an overloading of delicate environments with tons of tourists which negatively alter the sites environment.
An example of "mass tourism" in my mind is the bazzillion s of tourists that visit the Galapogos Islands. The tourists have knowingly or unwittingly spread diseases , foreign seeds, and even invasive animals on several of the islands in the archipelago.

Its kind of trashy in some of the areas most frequented by tour boats and fly-ins and the infrastructure is in dire need of upgrades so that they can handle the existing load. The result to the aquatic environment around several islands is one of spreading "dead zones" made up of water contaminated with coliforms and nitrogen compounds.
Peoples are pigs,and we aint much in a hurry to change.
0 Replies

Abishai100

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2013 01:25 pm
@Adverb,
I think the advent of various forms of recreation such as Land Sailing (a form of beach coast travel involving a sail mounted on a three-wheel vehicle known as a Sail Cart) has crystallized in people's minds the notion that travel or recreation can be very intricate or even obsessive.

Nevertheless, you can even find a website today called WikiTravel which offers peer-edited detailed information about tourism hot-spots. Maybe WikiTravel is a social tech sign of the reality of globalized mass tourism dialogue, which could be good for the environment when coordinated with discussions of tourists' plastic water bottle recycling.

I think if you treat mass tourism as a ritual or religious phenomenon, you can think of it in terms of "mass sociology" (i.e., analysis of the Planet Hollywood restaurant chain).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2013 01:35 pm
I am pretty sure that phrase was meant as farmerman described. The immediate image that brings up to me is the presence of gigantic cruise ships going through the main channel in Venice, Italy - a city built on piers that has long been threatened by environmental problems. Those ships have recently been restricted there somewhat (but not enough).

Mass probably doesn't mean the catholic mass, and may or may not be referring to travel to Mecca; I'm clear it means masses of people streaking from place to place in large groups.
0 Replies

timur

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2013 01:43 pm
It happened to me to be a Mass tourist.

Just got in the church during the Mass to see what's going on..
ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2013 01:54 pm
@timur,
And I met a batch of women on a train (they got on at Piacenza) that figured out I spoke english (not hard even when I'm silent) and the one of them that also spoke english asked me about where to stay in Florence. They were from Mexico on a pilgrimage/tour. I was astounded, as there might have been fifteen of them and it was getting towards evening, let's say 5 pm. But hey, it was only April.. maybe they'd luck out. I knew there was a tourist office at the main train station there and they'll try to fix you up for the night. I got off at Cremona so I never did find out what happened to them. I figure it was mass confusion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2013 01:59 pm
This is a straight-forward locution, it should not be difficult to understand. It means large scale tourism--many tourists. In this context, which must refer to so-called eco-tourism, it believe it means that too many people are showing up, and damaging the ecosystem they have come to see.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2013 01:13 am
Generally, ecotourism deals with living parts of the natural environments.Ecotourism focuses on socially responsible travel, personal growth, and environmental sustainability. Ecotourism typically involves travel to destinations where flora, fauna, and cultural heritage are the primary attractions. Ecotourism is intended to offer tourists insight into the impact of human beings on the environment, and to foster a greater appreciation of our natural habitats.
0 Replies