lenny

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 08:39 am
We have just returned from a two week holiday in Zakynthos and I have come home feeling not to good, At the resort we came across a dog that belonged to the villa owner, The dogs name is Bella and she spends her time with tourists like us going on days out and to the beach. We were told that she is a very good dog and most of the local people knew her and some treated her well. While walking along the beach one day with Bella tagging along a little Doberman puppy came bounding up to say hello to Bella, the puppy seemed cared for and fit and healthy so we thought that it must have an owner about the beach somewhere, we looked about and could not find anyone so we tried to approach the pup but she was very nervous and would not come too close. We carried on walking and the pup stayed a respectful distance from us and occasionally ran to Bella for a bit of a play, as we neared the end of the beach it ran off. Later that evening the people staying in the apartments behind our villa went for a walk and came back with the puppy bounding along behind them, at this point I went over to see if I could be of any help and the chap explained that they found her on the beach and after some coaxing managed to pet her and he was not to sure what to do with her next. I bent down and after a lot of coaxing from she at long last came up for a fuss although she was still very nervous. We thought the best thing to do was buy her some food and tell the holiday rep in the morning what had gone on and maybe find her owner or maybe find a shelter that would take her, so that's what we did. When we awoke we found both dogs asleep on our veranda so we thought as it was to early to phone the rep we would walk along the beach and ask anyone we came across if they knew who the dog belonged to, the search was fruitless and when we got back to the villa we telephoned the holiday rep and within half an hour she came round to see what she could do, she told us that this was the norm in Greece and the island had a lot of strays but she would phone around and see if anyone could help, she also phoned the local animal shelter and they said that the best they could do was to neuter the puppy and release it where other strays were and hopefully it would integrate with them but they would not be able to collect it for a few days. Our holiday was coming to an end by this time, we only had two more days to go before we flew home and we were starting to worry that this would not conclude well for the puppy before we left, Those last two days we took care of her and she came to trust us but always on our minds was the fact that we would have to leave her there when we flew home which in the end we had to do.
I just wish that there was more that could of been done and feel so sad and afraid for the puppy, the chances of her reaching the age of two are remote, the chances or her being poisoned and mistreated are VERY high which is why I hope you will sign the petition below. I have also included a link the Greek animal rescue web site and would ask you to support them.
Thankyou

Lenny

LINKS REMOVED BY MODERATOR; DO NOT POST YOUR LINKS HERE
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 748 • Replies: 3
No top replies

lenny

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 10:09 am
Links.
The two links that have been removed by the moderator were to a petition to the Greek government and to a animal welfare organisation. I find that the fact that they have been removed as somewhat perplexing; the sites concerned are not asking you to spend or sell anything and there are no cons or fraud linked to the sites what so ever; all the sites are asking for is a bit of help and support. If you do wish to help use an internet seach engine and include the title from my first post.

Thanks.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 10:40 am
Re: Links.
lenny wrote:
The two links that have been removed by the moderator were to a petition to the Greek government and to a animal welfare organisation. I find that the fact that they have been removed as somewhat perplexing; the sites concerned are not asking you to spend or sell anything and there are no cons or fraud linked to the sites what so ever; all the sites are asking for is a bit of help and support.

The removal isn't very perplexing at all. The Terms of Service for this site, which you agreed to abide by when you registered state:

Quote:
The Topics shall be used only in a non-promotional manner. You shall not, without the express approval of Able2Know, distribute or otherwise publish in the service any content which contains (i) offers to buy or sell goods or services; (ii) advertising; or (iii) commercial solicitations of any kind. Examples of prohibited solicitations include efforts to obtain funds or services from members and attempts to recruit members to participate in research studies, polls, surveys or lawsuits. Promotional postings are not limited to commercial promotions and all are equally forbidden. You may not post links to your site or use Able2Know for promotional purposes (both commercial and non-commercial) unless you have been granted an exception by the site administrators.

Promoting a cause is just as much of a promotion as a commercial promotion would be. As a registered member you are expected to abide by the Terms of Service.
0 Replies

lenny

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 11:25 am
Fishin.

OK you got me on that one, you win some you lose some but a few or more animals are going to lose a lot more than a debate, But hey, life goes on... well for some.
0 Replies