To boldly go...

bobby47

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 06:31 am
"On a small planet not far away lived a strange race.
A long time ago all the members of that species had one of three eye colors: blue, green or brown.
In some point in history a famous war took place, initiated by the blue and brown eye faction.
They genocided all green eyes, thus eliminating the green eye color from their race, and reducing the population of the planet to a few hundred. Soon after that war the factions were disbanded, and eye color was from that point on considered an inappropriate topic.
Some rules were later established for the benefit of the whole society, so that something like this could never, ever happen again. The rules were as follows:

1. Nobody is allowed to talk about eyecolors.
2. If anyone gets to know his own eyecolor he must commit suicide at midnight in the town square.

Now I must explain the way this species was thinking, so you understand their reactions later on.
You must understand that they all were really strict about those rules.
In the beginning some people happened to accidently see their eyecolor in some reflective surface or puddle of water, and every last one of them faithfully comitted suicide the night after. After a few incidences all mirroring surfaces were removed from the cities, to minimize the risk.
Also, this species was a very logical thinking. Although they still lacked knowledge in some areas, they thought clearly and logically, and trusted in the results they got, even if it led to their own death. Last, the way it worked after the rules were established was that everyone knew the eyecolor of everyone else on the planet, but not his own. Of course, on a small planet like this, they all saw everyone everyday, so a suicide was immediately noted.

Well, the people on this little planet were living for a few hundred years in peace and harmony, when something bad happened:

A little spacecraft crashed down in the desert near one of the large cities, leaving a big crater. Immediately the friendly people tried to rescue the astronauts, but it was too late. The only thing they recovered from the craft was a book about mathematics.

In the same night a big meeting was called on, and everyone came together in a large hall. The book was read to the whole population, because it offered new concepts that were so impressive and striking that everyone had to know about them.
But, knowledge isn't always a good thing. The knowledge in that book made the people aware of facts they didnt know about before, and made them realize a few things. In the following nights everyone was really nervous.

Then, in the 250th night after the dreaded meeting, all brown eyes committed suicide, thus eliminating the whole species, and leaving the planet an empty brick in the wide universe.
"
Number of blue eyes in the dreaded meeting in the large hall:

Number of nights in which suicides happened after the meeting:

Are there more blue or brown eyes in the meeting? (blue/brown)

Which mathematical concept made them kill themselves?

Good luck !
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,485 • Replies: 10
No top replies

kev

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 10:06 pm
Re: To boldly go...
bobby47 wrote:
"

Then, in the 250th night after the dreaded meeting, all brown eyes committed suicide, thus eliminating the whole species, and leaving the planet an empty brick in the wide universe.

A question Bobby, why is this now an empty brick in space? what happened to the blue eyed people?
0 Replies

bobby47

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 03:23 am
use the force, key!
0 Replies

kev

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 04:07 pm
I didn't know whether you had just forgotten to type in a paragraph perhaps.
0 Replies

riddler

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 06:46 pm
Dude, algebra, the "identity" property where you look at one problem or person in this case and then that problem or person is the same on both sides, so if brown eyes looked at brown eyes they would all have to kill themselves.
0 Replies

Thaimor

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 06:22 pm
Okay, i still dont know this! WHAT IS ANSWER!!!!?!?! It makes me sad that i still do not know... Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

SimMaster

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 08:30 pm
1. 250
2. Brown
3. 1
4. Spearman's Rank Correlation Co-Efficient
0 Replies

Eamonn Keane

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 04:19 pm
Hmmm... tricky.

If Heredity is considered a mathematical concept, even though it's really a biological one, then this works... kind of.

All those who had two blue-eyed parents knew that they had blue eyes too (brown is dominant over blue, so a blue-eyed person must have a blue-blue gene pairing) so they all killed themselves after the meeting.

After this, I really don't have a clue.
0 Replies

mithie

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 12:46 pm
^ That was my thought too... still doesn't explain why all the brown eyed people killed themselves at the same time.
0 Replies

Smart-Guyz

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 10:01 am
mithie wrote:
^ That was my thought too... still doesn't explain why all the brown eyed people killed themselves at the same time.

Both parent killed then selfs because they know that there have blue eyes if there cild has blue eyes. So it keeps in the end only one blue eye left.

All the brown eyes killed then self if there cild has brown eyes and one off the parents has blue eyes even the cild killed his self because one off his parents has brown eyes. So he knows his collor. Keeps another blue eye left.

And no brown eye.

But still don't know the answer Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 11:38 am
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20582&highlight=planet+blue+eye

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19618&highlight=mythical+village

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19474&highlight=mythical+village
0 Replies