Parrots, anyone???

Diane

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 06:46 pm
Dys has a parrot named Fred. He is a dusky conyer. As far as we know, conyers are the smallest of the true Hookbill parrots.

Fred has taught me the conyers are funny, smart, bossy, moody, curious and relentless in getting what they want.

When I sat down at the computer, Fred joined me. I had a glass of iced tea which he soon appropriated as his own. He fished out the ice cubes, one at a time, dropping them on the floor with a great sense of satisfaction. When I tried to pick up the ice cubes, he ruffled his feathers and tried to stop me, even biting when I put an ice cube back in the glass.

He loves to 'read' the paper, walking under several pages and working his way out the other side.

Naturally, he loves my purse and trying to get out the keys. When Dys looked out the window, the trunk to my car was open. Fred must have bitten the 'trunk' button on the remote control! Rolling Eyes

He says, "Hi, Fred, hi, Fred," very rapidly, reminding me of Dustin Hoffman's character in Rain Man.

A couple of days ago, he was on my shoulder when I went into the bathroom to take a shower. I thought he would stay on the counter or on the top of the door, but he flew right back to my shoulder after I had undressed and was stepping into the shower. Then I thought he would certainly fly out when I got under the water, but he stayed right there. Finally, he flew down to the tub floor and stayed there while I finished.

When 'we' got out, he was shivering a little, so I turned my blow dryer on low and aimed it at him. He loved it!! Now, I sneak into the shower.

Do any of you have parrot stories?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,318 • Replies: 27
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 07:19 pm
hahaha, sounds adorable! No parrot stories from me. But I love hearing about everybody's little creatures.
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 07:28 pm
From Patrick O'Brien, I believe it is the sixth or seventh book of the Aubrey Maturin novels, we hear a tale (dredged by the author from actual history)... of a parrot owned by the Governor of Maritious... a man who is secretly working for the English, but pretending to support the French. In short, a mole. All goes well as he lures French military men into his confidence and passes to the Brits reports of their plans and locations of their fleets. All goes well, that is, until his parrot, just repeating what he hars daily in the house, proclaims loudly in the presence of a French Naval officer, "Napolean is an a**hole."

Captain Jack Aubrey arrives just in time to attend the funeral.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 07:33 pm
As a matter of fact I do.

Seems there was this magician working on a cruise ship. Now, he was actually a pretty good magician, but kind of lazy, and he got to using the same tricks, but on different cruises. The ship also had a parrot, as a mascot, sort of. This parrot used to perch in the rafters and catch the show, but after a few trips, he was figuring out how the stunts were done. Finally, from boredom, he would ruffle up his feathers and tell the audiance how each one was done. The magician hated that bird.

One sad day, right in the middle of the act, the cruise ship hit a submerged coral reef an sunk. The only two survivors were the bird and the magician, each hanging on to opposite ends of a board. After glaring at each other for two days, the parrot couldn't stand it anymore. "Alright" he blurted, "what did you do with the ship?"

Hmmm. After passing that along, I wonder if maybe you didn't mean a different kind of parrot story.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 09:45 pm
Roger--hah, hah, hah. That is very funny!! Fred might actually do something like that. I think he would set about ruining the magician's act with great glee.

Beedlesquoink, did Capt. Jack attend the funeral of the mole or the parrot? LOL
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 09:54 pm
OK for you, Roger......

On reaching his plane seat a man is surprised to see a parrot strapped in next to him. He asks the stewardess for a coffee where upon the parrot squawks "And get me a whisky you cow!" The stewardess, flustered, brings back a whisky for the parrot and forgets the coffee.

When this omission is pointed out to her the parrot drains its glass and bawls "And get me another whisky you idiot". Quite upset, the girl comes back shaking with another whisky but still no coffee.

Unaccustomed to such slackness the man tries the parrot's approach "I've asked you twice for a coffee, go and get it now or I'll kick you".

The next moment, both he and the parrot have been wrenched up and thrown out of the emergency exit by two burly stewards. Plunging downwards the parrot turns to him and says "For someone who can't fly, you complain too much!"
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 05:40 pm
Both...Nobody and nobirdy dissed the emperor!

Razz
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 05:27 pm
Hi Diane, I grew up with parakeets. They are miniature versions of Fred. Smart, curious, in the middle of everything. I had three parakeets at one point. On a cold winter night, a magnificent green and turquoise parrot ambled in through my open bedroom window. My father captured him and poured a bit of J&B down his birdy throat to warm him up. I named him Albert in honor of the parrot in an episode of the Odd Couple.

Once Albert relaxed and warmed up, he started talking. A stream of foul language the likes of which had never been heard in that household before came spewing forth. My mother was having a fit. Get that foul (fowl?) mouthed thing outa this house. We posted signs in the neighborhood. No one claimed him. We eventually gave him away. Sigh. I liked that boid.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 10:36 am
fred this morning on Diane 01/10/03
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwDSAjMVkfYDDZBDQFEG7hhcgTZ8m5RGLUp6qJUyfyN8PDKYJgJXWXF7Lg2Bny1KUfBSmEi4SJw3DmKwCSKkjGUTOTtrHZx5Ol0o*kgsntc/fred%26diane.JPG?dc=4675454993080964898
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 12:57 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 02:25 pm
Great photo. Fred is bigger than I thought--or are you smaller? Great colors--green and gray. I love dat boid. Tell Dys I said thanks. :-)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 02:36 pm
Boida, I i will try to get a better size perspective photo of Fred ( if he/she will cooperate)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 04:07 pm
Dys, I got some perspective from the photo of Fred on your knee. He looks bigger in the more recent photo. Whadya mean he/she? Don't you know? Or do you mean he-Fred and she-Diane?

Did Diane tell you about Melvyn?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 10:09 pm
Roberta, Fred says "Hi" to aunt Boidy.

No, I haven't told Bob about Melvyn. Please do the honors.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 10:46 pm
Awwwwwwwwwwwww, Fred is beautiful! And never a dull moment either, in his/her presence by the sound of things! Laughing
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 11:20 pm
msolga, he is full of personality, as well as 'other' things. LOL
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 02:16 am
Diane, Is Fred a he or a she? Please put an end to my confusion.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 02:27 am
Fred is a sweetie, little poopsie, kiss kiss?

Well, how can I get Fred to trust me on line? how? Perhaps the malevelolent Eye? Eye...................................... dot.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 02:29 am
Fred is a sweetie, little poopsie, kiss kiss?

Well, how can I get Fred to trust me on line? how? Perhaps the malefascient Eye? Eye...................................... dot.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 11:37 pm
Jo, sweetie, not even a double post will get Fred to trust you unless he meets you in person. In that case, I'm sure he would be crazy about you. Attention, attention, that is what he craves.
0 Replies