Strongid C2X Daily Dewormer - A Good Idea or Not?

farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 05:14 pm
@Arella Mae,
have you ever looked under his eyelids at the surrounds of the eye socket. It should be a rosay pink color. Is that a whitish or grayish color?
Worms arent the only thing that give the dull coat.

IS your water acid or basic? We have to watch copper toxicity with the sheep, so weve run a separate filter with limestone bedding. It kicks the pH up to about 7.5 and the sheep just blossom.
I dont know whether horsesget coppwer toxicity . MAybe cowdoc is around , can we send PMs yet?
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 06:56 pm
No gray around the eyes. The vet checked them the last time he was here. I don't know about the water. I'll have to check into that.
0 Replies

MollySpeiser

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 05:04 pm
I started my older QH on Strongid Daily Dewormer because he had no energy, seemed depressed and his ribs were showing. He is like a different animal now. He completely filled out and his topline looks good. He has a lot of energy for riding every day. The product gives a lot of peace of mind. I buy mine through Smartpak so the grooms have no problem giving the same dose every day. Occasionally I think about taking him off it to save money but he is going so nice and looks so good that I am keeping him on it. I would recommend this product to thin Thoroughbreds that are hard keepers as well. My friend gives it to all of her racers with great results to their overall body condition. When they are healthy on the inside they look beautiful on the outside :-)
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 08:35 am
@MollySpeiser,
I have to agree, Molly. Mac is not hanging onto that extra lean look and he has the most beautiful coat. He has enough energy to win the triple crown - all on the same day! I get mine from Smart Pak also. I was thinking of putting JJ, my darling mule on it soon, but I don't know. I sure don't need Super JJ on my hands!
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 10:50 am
@farmerman,
Copper toxicity is possible in most species, but awfully tough to produce in non-ruminants. It all comes down not to the actual level of copper in the diet, but the ratio of copper to molybdenum. They should be at about a 2:1 level. If you get to 3:1 or more, the result is copper toxicity. At 1:1 or less, the result is copper deficiency. As I said, almost always in sheep or cattle.
farmerman

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 11:31 am
@CowDoc,
we have as moly shortfall in our soils (The first year we had a lot of white muscle lambs and I did a Se test and they did Mo too, both were not present in our geology and soils)

QWe dont buy any salt mixes with Cu in it as a precaution. We have a special Mineral mix made up that we add to our normal grain mix (oats, corn n cob meal, mineral mix and dry molasses and a wee bit o Vit B
CowDoc

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 08:11 am
@farmerman,
Remember that selenium does not cross the placental barrier very well. Frequently, an injection of E-Se or a similar product at birth in necessary to prevent white muscle, even if you are feeding a good mineral mix.
0 Replies