Should I upgrade my cell phone?

Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 10:54 am
I don't want to - my husband who has to have all the newest crap keeps telling me to.

I have a cell phone that is over 7 years old. Besides it sometimes turning off by itself, it serves its purpose and is very hardy. It has been dropped several times and keeps on working. The other day, my daughter dropped it on this hard concrete floor. It came completely apart - the whole covering and key pad broke up in a few pieces and where I could see the inner workings. We picked up the pieces and I clicked them all together and viola! It still works!

Why should I turn in this hardy phone?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 5,289 • Replies: 11
No top replies

sullyfish6

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 11:27 am
The only time you get a deal on a phone is when a contract is signed.

Any time besides that, if you want to buy the phone (hardware) you will pay full price.

Is your contract up? Get a new one then.

7 years with the same phone? You have been lucky. Most are designed to fall apart after 2 years - JUST when the contract is up.
Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 11:47 am
@sullyfish6,
Well exactly - it has lasted so long. I think my hubby updated the contract with his blackberry - my phone is part of the overall service. I believe we have a $50 credit available for us for a new phone.

The other funny thing with this phone - last summer I had lost my recharger. I went to the phone store and the guy looked at my phone and said I don't think we have a charger for this phone. He then went to the back of the store where there was an old dusty display rack with clearance on it. And there was the charger that would fit my good old trusty phone - almost free!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 11:50 am
@Linkat,
Does it look like this bad boy?

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4514/oldcellphone.jpg
chai2

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 12:00 pm
I'm with you linkat.

If it does for you what you want it to do, what do you need a new one for?

When it breaks and doesn't work any more, get a new one.

ok, waiting certain people to show up and tell you what wonderful things you can do with a new cell phone, that you haven't missed not being able to do for the last 7 years.....

lordy lord, how have the 2 of us survived not being able to make our phone listen to the music playing in a restaurant, and tell us what it is?
speaking of restaurants, how have we figure out which one to go to, or how much tip to leave, without our phone telling us?

most importantly, how do we make it through the day without texting?

texting (shaking head) I really don't get that.
why not just use the actual telephone function to actually talk to the person?
Seems a lot quicker.

Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 12:02 pm
@Ticomaya,
Not quite as old as that - here is mine...

http://www.cellhut.com/images/products/Nokia-6015i-Pre-paid-CDMA-Verizon_2422_B.jpg
chai2

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 12:03 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Not quite as old as that - here is mine...

http://www.cellhut.com/images/products/Nokia-6015i-Pre-paid-CDMA-Verizon_2422_B.jpg

I miss u 2. Sad
Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 12:04 pm
@Linkat,
And I looked on ebay and people are selling this guys - granted those ones don't look quite as used as mine.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 01:35 pm
@chai2,
I never got into texting until I got my current TracFone. Calls cost me at least one credit ("minute"). Texts cost me .3 minutes.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 04:45 pm
@chai2,
Texting is handy when you just want to leave a message and have no time for chit chat. It also costs a fraction of what a phone call costs.

Of course, everything is dependent on the plan etc. that you have. I never used to use texting, but now I use it all the time. I can also instantly see something that was sent to me when I was not available without going into my voicemail box.
Linkat

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 09:49 am
@Intrepid,
Texting costs - most phone calls do not. If I call some one else with the same service, no cost and on weekends/nights no cost on calls. We also have alot of "free" minutes on top of that. I rarely use the thing - most often on weekends and usually just to my husband so the calls do not cost extra to the plan. Any texting would. I don't text.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 09:59 am
I had an old razr 3 for many years. It was light, and the reception was great. I only used it for phone calls. I swore that I would keep that phone until it died.

When I got my new car, I found that the software in the phone would not pair with the Bluetooth in my car. So I got another phone.................a later razr that had just come out. It is clunkier, and the reception is not as good. It does a bunch of other things, which I don't use.

A couple of months later the attachment on the leather case broke. I brought it back to AT&T. He said that they didn't even make that model anymore, but did have a replacement case.

I would say that if you like your phone, and it does what you want it to, keep it.
0 Replies