Bacon and Chocolate.....a Mighty Peculiar Combo.

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 09:38 am
Yesterday, my son told me that someone had given him a candy bar made of chocolate and bacon, and it was delicious. O.K. it sounded a bit strange, but yesterday was Halloween and not April Fools' Day, so I took him at his word.

I open my paper this morning, and what do I see? An article about the joys of bacon and chocolate, together with a recipe:

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/oct/28/bacon-chocolate-match-made-foodie-heaven/

I looked further, and discovered that there are lots of goodies that can be made of bacon and chocolate.

Have you ever had this combo? What did you think of it? If you have not tried it yet, would you be likely to do so?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 16 • Views: 3,746 • Replies: 25

farmerman

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 09:40 am
@Phoenix32890,
Yep, theres a new Ice Cream joint in Rehoboth Delaware that has a bacon and peenut butter as well as a bacon and chocolate ice cream. The bacon peenut butter aint bad. Im not a chocolate fan because of the theobromine.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 10:42 am
@Phoenix32890,
It's a new one on me but I once created a recipe which was principally chopped bacon and diced apples, all fried together in the bacon's own grease and served with a dash of nutmeg and/or cinamon. Does that count?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 11:37 am
@Phoenix32890,
I've heard about it on a podcast called Munchcast with Cammy Blackstone and Leo Laporte. Still haven't seen a sample to try it.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 11:41 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Yep, theres a new Ice Cream joint in Rehoboth Delaware that has a bacon and peenut butter as well as a bacon and chocolate ice cream. The bacon peenut butter aint bad. Im not a chocolate fan because of the theobromine.

Are you allergic to chocolate? Sad
dadpad

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 02:32 pm
Salt AND sugar, in copious quantities. Just what the doctor ordered.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 03:11 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Dear Jesus!!!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 03:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
yes I am. It gives me an At Fibrillation
Lightwizard

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 03:25 pm
@farmerman,
That's bad news as chocolate is such a great, natural upper (70% or more being the best). I eat enough bacon -- I don't really need another way to ingest it (I'll stick to the occasional breakfast or Cobb salad, or maybe bacon wrapped scallops).
BorisKitten

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 04:19 pm
Hmm... never heard of such a combo, but suspect I would Really Like It.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 04:26 pm
Have not had bacon and chocolate....but I have had Minted Roast lamb potato crisps...I thought that was strange so I purchased a pack out of curiosity and they taste just like Minted Roast Lamb!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 05:01 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
I open my paper this morning, and what do I see? An article about the joys of bacon and chocolate, together with a recipe:

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/oct/28/bacon-chocolate-match-made-foodie-heaven/

I looked further, and discovered that there are lots of goodies that can be made of bacon and chocolate.

Shocked Surprised

Oh please, Phoenix ... not before my breakfast!

Aghhhh!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 05:58 pm
oh dear sweet pig fat and succulent chocolate

*thud*
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 06:09 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

yes I am. It gives me an At Fibrillation

<<Ouch>> You have my condolences. Embarrassed
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 06:27 pm
@Lightwizard,
Quote:
bacon wrapped scallops
OhYEAH and a side of fresh aspargoose slathered in butter, a bowl of peal and eat shrimp with a glass of pinot, now that's breakfast.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 09:02 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

Quote:
bacon wrapped scallops
OhYEAH and a side of fresh aspargoose slathered in butter, a bowl of peal and eat shrimp with a glass of pinot, now that's breakfast.

Now yer talkin some serious vittles right there.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 08:59 am
@Phoenix32890,
I haven't had that combo before - but I imagine it that sweet salty taste that seems to blend so good.

At one time I thought chocolate covered potato chips (or pretzels) was weird - but after tasting the salty/sweet combo - actually enjoyed it.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 09:09 am
Dolfin bars have been around for a while. See this site for chocolate combos.

The ginger/chocolate is awesome.

http://www.worldwidechocolate.com/shop_dolfin.html
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 02:58 pm
Years ago, I once read that Fettucini Alfredo was known as "a heart attack on a plate". I would suspect that chocolate covered bacon would make a good, appropriate dessert.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 10:15 am
I won't be trying this for the same reason I haven't tried cocaine.
What if I like it?
And I probably would.

mmm, bacon wrapped scallops.
0 Replies