To charge viewers or not to charge viewers that is Hulu.com's question....

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 09:25 pm
Quote:
Hulu Will Allow You to Keep Your Money
10/28/09 at 10:25 PM

Great news! Hulu will not start charging for its services in 2010. A source inside of the Internet-TV hub tells EW that the site is committed to remaining free. If any pay content is added, which is only speculation at this point, it will be on top of what Hulu already offers.

This should calm the frayed nerves of all of those Hulu devotees, ourselves included, who nearly ate their computers last week when News Corp. deputy chairman Chase Carey said "[Hulu] needs to evolve to have a meaningful subscription model as part of its business.” What a relief. We're going to celebrate with an episode of WKRP in Cincinnati.

Will Hulu stop being free? In a word, no. [Holloywood Insider/EW]
http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/10/28/will-hulu-stop-being-free-in-a-word-no/

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2009/10/hulu_will_not_demand_your_doll.html?mid=agenda--20091029

And in the comments section.
Quote:
Sounds to me like Entertainment Weekly got spun by Hulu's PR team. If I were a betting man, I would wager that Hulu will definitely start charging people for access to premium content (like, for example, 30 ROCK and SNL and all of the "new" TV shows) next year. Of course, they'll keep some crappy content up there for free, but content providers like Fox, NBC and ABC are going to insist that people shell out to watch the programs that they spend lots of money to produce (not to mention that other advertisers pay huge bucks to advertise on).
BY MARK GRAHAM (NY MAG) on 10/29/2009 at 8:42am

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,348 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 09:43 pm
@tsarstepan,
Practically everything on Hulu is available for free on their origin sites. Why would someone pay Hulu for say The Daily Show if you can watch it on Comedy Central for free plus a couple of brief commercials? I think Hulu will just crank up the commercials to pay the rent.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 10:08 pm
@Green Witch,
The problem is the networks are the ones wanting to force hulu.com to charge for the content. Henceforth, if and when hulu.com charges for the content, so does everyone else.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 04:42 am
@tsarstepan,
Lot of people like HULU?. Ive only tried it once for some stupid old movie. I havent considered getting more acquainted with it. What else does it offer besides entertainment retrieval?

BTW, cable is not free.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 05:22 am
I watch cable and network shows for the price of high speed internet (@$29), I don't have TV. Sometimes there are commercials sometimes not. I assume more commercials are coming in the future. Sites like Hulu are trying to attract enough viewers so more advertisers will be interested in paying them to run their little messages. Hulu attracts the young people advertisers want. The internet is too big to get people to start paying for things like watching old (mostly crappy) movies and a few network shows. I think advertisers are getting smarter about getting people to pay attention. I watch Project Runway on Lifetime.com and they show ads for beauty products. Instead of just showing some pretty girl with great hair running around they show styling techniques using the products, it's like a segment on a morning show. My little gaggle of nieces watch these ads the way they would never watch a TV ad. Apparently Dove recently had a offer to send a free sample of some body wash if you clicked on their site. All my nieces, and their girlfriends, happily clicked on the ad to get their freebie. They associate the internet with FREE. If they had to pay up front to watch something I think they would all mouse over to their Facebook page, or some other social site rather than hit a Paypal button. I think interactive advertising is going to be the wave of the future and not pay per view. By the way, Hulu is just one of many sites that broadcast network programing, if you Google around you'll find dozens of such sites. Some legal, some not. My husband watched some sports thing the other night that was obviously being broadcast from some other guy's living room via a webcam. The picture was pretty good.

farmerman

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 05:51 am
@Green Witch,
I think I spend more time on A2K than I can justify. Ive gotta catch up with other **** that Ive got in the oven.
MAYBE, Ill get a Hi Speed put in my coffin and my index finger connected to an IR mousie. Ill have lots a time then.

OH WAIT, I wanna get toasted
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 03:23 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

29), I don't have TV.

I don't have a television either. That's why I love and depend on hulu.com to watch Eureka, 30 Rock, House, and whatever.

Quote:

By the way, Hulu is just one of many sites that broadcast network programing, if you Google around you'll find dozens of such sites. Some legal, some not. My husband watched some sports thing the other night that was obviously being broadcast from some other guy's living room via a webcam. The picture was pretty good.

I'm scared to go to one of the illicit live broadcast sites because I followed a link once provided by someone I trust and my spyware program virtually yelled at me to get away from that site ASAP.

But the TV through webcam idea? If it comes to that? I guess it'll have to work. That circumvention of the the possible future pay per view sites would make it this internet generations version of Napster but far more difficult for the Networks to clamp down upon like the P2P sites and their RIAA persecutors. I'd rather watch the shows legally and I really don't mind the commercials even if they are often not relevant to my needs. Even if they doubled the amount of commercial time, I wouldn't mind.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 05:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
Going on 5 months and Hulu Plus hasn't really hit it off with either the average streaming video watcher or the tech gurus who spend 24 hours a day studying the tech world.
http://www.hulu.com/plus?a&src=topnav
0 Replies