maporsche

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 07:54 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

... not wearing shoes unless I have to go in a store.

Try not doing that next time, if you're so inclined. It's very interesting.
Green Witch

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 08:07 pm
@maporsche,
Do wearing things like this count?:

http://www.geekologie.com/2007/08/29/glove-shoes.jpg
maporsche

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 08:10 pm
@Green Witch,
Not quite....but I do have 2 pairs of those. I use them when I run or when I do have to wear something on my feet.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 08:42 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
Try not doing that next time, if you're so inclined.

I don't get hassled...there's just so much junk on those floors...I'm afraid of getting cut.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 06:12 am
Haven't connected to the barefoot link yet, so can't speak to that.

However, going barefoot is not only good for your feet, but your entire body.

Well, not if you're going to be only walking on hard concrete, but walking where the ground is uneven, having differences in hardness/softness/textures.

It allows your feet to be flexible the way they evolved to be, for walking, running, grasping, climbing, etc.

Doing this allows the rest of your body to adjust and intergrate itself for better balance, strength, flexibility, etc.

Encasing the feet in hard shoes, or high heels forces your body to work in ways it was not meant to, in order to function.

That said, I prefer wearing shoes that allow the feet to act as naturally as possible. Shoes that have very flexible soles, and do not have heels.

I do this for protection, as I don't want to step on glass, sharp objects, or any other manner of things.
I certainly don't enjoy getting them dirty, and shoes of some type keep them clean.
I go barefoot in my home, and when at yoga, and wear flexible shoes of some type when outdoors.

Not flip flops.
spendius

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 08:07 am
@chai2,
You're a cultural member of the Awkward Squad chai. A degenerate one might even say. It's an affectation I'm afraid.

Our whole project is anti-evolution. Evolution is for the lower life forms which have no other choice.

When are you starting on loin cloths or even the Ms Willendorf style with chanting mantras at the moon for entertainment and ablutions in the river?
chai2

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 09:07 am
@spendius,
I do chant mantras. Not at the moon, however.

I do practice moon AND sun salutations.

I also practice mudras, and pranayama breathing.

Ms Willendorf, whoever she is, is welcome to join me.
spendius

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 09:56 am
@chai2,
Ms Willendorf, chai, is the famous Venus of Willendorf. Simply Google that name and there you are--Earth Mother. The chthonic feminine. Tiamat. Hecate. Ilamatecuhtli. The devouring naked Mother and Queen of Heaven before the gentle and weak-willed Eve gave rise to our Madonnas.

Public Enemy No 1 to all who value modern conveniences as I do.
Linkat

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 10:17 am
Wow " I honestly love it! I love to go barefoot " I don’t like wearing shoes (except when it is cold, but that is just because I can’t stand being cold). I wish I had the nerve to do this. As a kid during the summer, I would rarely wear shoes (unless I absolutely had to). My feet were filthy " but each night, I would soak them to clean them. I loved the freedom of being barefoot.

Now as an adult, I will sneak out and go barefoot when running outside for something quick. I sometimes take my shoes off at work when I’m sitting at my desk " I’ve even walked a few steps without my shoes on. I would love to live in such a society.

In my opinion I have beautiful feet " long, thin, smooth and not calloused even as a child when running around all day, my feet were never calloused - being barefoot doesn’t make your feet callused " squeezing into shoes that are tight or where your feet rub causing calluses. I never had feet like horses nails.

I do though still like shoes " high heels, flip flops whatever. I do like the fashion of shoes especially when you dress up. So I don’t think I would ever be 100% barefoot. But for most everyday life, I’d love it.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 10:25 am
Here you go maporsche:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfgSIVF-5AY&feature=related

(Letty's music choices always take me somewhere interesting.)
spendius

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 11:03 am
@Tai Chi,
The dollar bills blew away as well and for an illusion because they all kept their pants on. Are you ready for the $$$$s being discarded?

Music to do your head in.
chai2

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 11:14 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Ms Willendorf, chai, is the famous Venus of Willendorf. Simply Google that name and there you are--Earth Mother. The chthonic feminine. Tiamat. Hecate. Ilamatecuhtli. The devouring naked Mother and Queen of Heaven before the gentle and weak-willed Eve gave rise to our Madonnas.

Public Enemy No 1 to all who value modern conveniences as I do.

Oh, ok, I remember that now.

I think that little stone statue is beautiful.
Tai Chi

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 11:21 am
@spendius,
It's a video and song about running barefoot -- I thought maporsche might find it amusing. As for any underlying philosophy of life -- I try not to make those decisions based on pop songs.
spendius

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 11:39 am
@chai2,
Quote:
I think that little stone statue is beautiful.

It certainly is.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 11:50 am
@Tai Chi,
Quote:
It's a video and song about running barefoot

And it has an underlying philosophy. Why else the $$$$s blowin'in the wind.

Filmed, stored, broadcast and received with the best gizmos money can buy and scientific capitalism can produce. It's schizophrenic.
Tai Chi

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 12:00 pm
@spendius,
You're right of course. Everyone involved in the making of the video is a hypocrite. And since I'm obviously not clever enough to have posted it deliberately as a sly dig at anyone (really, I'm not and I didn't) I guess I should think twice before posting.
spendius

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 12:07 pm
@Tai Chi,
Well no TC. You provided an opportunity to have the hypocrisy pointed out which is a plus.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 03:42 pm
When I was about 10 I went to live in a tiny outback Australian town. I wore shoes the first day at school, but I was the only one. From then on, I didn't wear shoes again until high school.

I went barefoot again pretty much the whole time I was at university. I'd wear shoes to go out at night and stuff, but unshod by day. I was being somewhat deliberately rebellious but in all honesty there wasn't a lot of cash coming my way at the time, so it was fiscally advantageous. Your feet do adjust and I miss it a lot.

I think I also did it because I could get away with it again. I remembered how much fun it had been in primary school before the strict dress code of a private boarding High school.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 06:29 pm
So I just bought a pair of Vivo Barefoot shoes that I think will be acceptable for work.

These are the pair I bought.

It's a very flexible shoe with a super thin sole, zero motion control or padding, and no heel. They feel great.

These will be nice because they should be acceptable for my office job, and will be much warmer in these cold Chicago winters.

A little expensive though, thankfully I got a great bonus at work (15% of my annual salary, YAY!)

http://www.terraplana.com/dharma-p-1036.html?colour=143&osCsid=bjsjbkseeb9s6bcsq1n4lntt94
http://www.terraplana.com/images/product_images/1036_blackvegtan_n.jpg
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 11:41 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
So our friend Joe Nation turned me on to a book this year called 'Born to Run', which I enjoyed very much.

The book speaks of runners who run up to 100 miles basically barefoot.
That 's what cabs r for, or in your case, your Porsche.

maporsche wrote:
I started doing this myself (I currently run about 4 miles a week completely barefoot and 15 miles in some special shoes called Vibram Five Fingers, and I still run about 10 miles in normal running shoes).
U coud get there faster and more comfortably in the Porsche. Trouble parking ?

maporsche wrote:

This got me thinking though about going barefoot wherever and whenever possible.
I found a website of people who do this called the Society for Barefoot Living at http://www.barefooters.org/ .

From their "Who we are" page
Quote:
We are a group of people who love going barefoot pretty much everywhere, all the time (not just around the house or at the beach), as a lifestyle choice, including out and about on streets, stores, in the country, and hiking.

We enjoy walking barefoot as nature intended, taking delight in feeling the many textures the world has to offer, like having tough, callused soles, and even think it's cool to get them dirty. We also hate wearing shoes and, if we had our way, would never wear them again. Shoes are unnecessary ballast. Plus, bare feet are cool and look great!

Ever take off your shoes and walk barefoot through the grass, on the beach, etc? We bet you have. Why did you do it? Because it feels good! We've just extended that to everyday life. Know what? It feels even better!

So far my experience has been very limited. I've only gone to the local mini-mart,
Subway, and grocery store barefoot, but the Subway was very not kosher with my choice.

Curious what you guys think about the movement in general and also curious if any of you do this too?
It sounds painful and cold.
Some places have put up signs requiring customers to wear shoes or stay out.
0 Replies