Race and intelligence

yeahman

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 05:37 pm
we know that race plays a part in physical ability. because of genetics blacks are generally able to perform better in sports.
so what about intelligence?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,412 • Replies: 116
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 05:40 pm
You are opening a hornet's nest with that question.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 05:52 pm
The ability of a particular individual (within or across the ethnic groups) differs along with the person's ages, health conditions, human relations, or the degree of tiredness. It varies from time to time for an individual. or varies from person to person at given circumstances.
Every individual (across the ethnic groups) are special.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 06:13 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
You are opening a hornet's nest with that question.

that was my intention.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 06:14 pm
satt_focusable wrote:
The ability of a particular individual (within or across the ethnic groups) differs along with the person's ages, health conditions, human relations, or the degree of tiredness. It varies from time to time for an individual. or varies from person to person at given circumstances.
Every individual (across the ethnic groups) are special.

same goes for physical ability but we openly accept that some races are generally better than others in that area.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 06:26 pm
ye110man wrote:

same goes for physical ability but we openly accept that some races are generally better than others in that area.

As for physical ability, there can be seen biased probability distribution of becoming a performer: E.g.,
White swimmers are often found rather than those contained in other ethnic groups.
Black runners are very prominent in the short tracks.

Mental ability is not a simple thing. It often depends on human relations where the individual is placed as well.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 06:45 pm
Plenty of Asians at my uni, and they're smart. Don't know whether thats a genetic trait of race, a work hard attitude of culture, or simply the fact that they constitute about 53% of the worlds population, so probability says there's likely to be more smart ones than any other race.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 07:15 pm
Wilso, Asians are smart at what, exactly? Wink
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 07:28 pm
They're doing maths, science, business, you name it.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 07:45 pm
Race has nothing to do with anything biological. It's all in your head.
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 07:46 pm
Ahh yes, back to this stuff. Now how about these as criteria. Race as a factor in social mellowness. Race as a factor in respect for the children and the old. Race as a factor in sense of humor.

Problem with all of this shite is that there is no way to make the correlation, ever. There are good/bad blacks whites yellows and rastafarians. There are bad good and good bads. It isn't about race. In the end, enlightenment is about the individual. By my bootstraps no one rises but myself, and then only if I pull hard enough. And then it only matters to me.

How taut (taught) are your bootstraps?
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 07:48 pm
Interactive link about race:

http://www.pbs.org/race/000_General/000_00-Home.htm
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 07:54 pm
Wilso, If as you say Asians make up 53 percent of the world's population, some are bound to 'stick out' of the human crowd - no more, no less. Wink
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 07:56 pm
The 53% value I saw on discovery channel. I don't have any reason to dispute it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 07:59 pm
the very application of the term "race" (caucasian/negroid/mogoloid) is a short term and long outmoded descriptor of a non-reality based bias. We only have the human race.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 07:59 pm
A lot of foreign students who go to US colleges are better students than average. In most countries outside the US, you have to pass placement tests just to get into high school, let along college, let alone college in the US.
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 08:00 pm
Thanx dyslexia.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 08:05 pm
dys, Too few in this world recognize that fact: we all belong to the human race. All the other classifications only creates problems.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 08:16 pm
there was this Italian anthropologist (JLN can most likely recall the name) who came up with a new means of catagorizing peoples. he named them Endomorphs/Mesomorphs/Ectomorphs, which made as must rational sense as the terms so often used today for race. which is to say NONE.
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 08:33 pm
Very Happy

When will theystop blaming?
0 Replies