Internet Con Artists have a new method of phishing their potential marks....

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 01:09 pm
This email I received today is the second similar phishing email I've got this year.

Quote:
Hi iam Marry!
how are you! hope you are fine and in perfect condition of health.I went through your profile and i read it and took interest in it,if you don’t mind i will like you to write me on this ID [email protected] so that i can send you my photo ok hope to hear from you soon, I will be waiting for your mail because i have something VERY important to tell you. Lots of love Marry!
[email protected]

Being a shrewd and net savvy individual, I googled the email address and found the same message had been (verbatim) sent to dozens and dozens of other members of other forum sites. One should be wary of this emotional/romantic Trojan horse.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1C1RNNN_enUS349US349&[email protected]&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

This time, it was a little different. When I googled that email address, all the similar postings were in English. This time, there some foreign language threads as well.

But like the last time, I immediately reported the potentially faked email by forwarding this email to the investigators of the Anti-Phishing Working Group.

Quote:
The Anti-Phishing Working Group (APWG) is the global pan-industrial and law enforcement association focused on eliminating the fraud and identity theft that result from phishing,pharming and email spoofing of all types.

http://www.antiphishing.org/report_phishing.html

I believe my email was hit because I have my email made public on the IMDb web forums.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 3,147 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 01:36 pm
@tsarstepan,
Iff the miss speling wasnt a hint...
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 01:38 pm
@dlowan,
I alwheys t8ke tat tntu abbount. Laughing
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 04:58 pm
u r the nisest person i have ever met on the internet. lets be frends. giv me ur credit card numbers.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 05:27 pm
"and your socile securety.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 05:34 pm
@eoe,
Embarrassed I'm a sucker for flirts.
Here ya go. 555 11 5555. And here ya go... 2 Cents . It's all I have.
0 Replies