French fried thread! Who has the best french fries?

msolga

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 01:37 am
@Rockhead,
Ah. Thanks, Rocky. (I was just wondering ...)
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 01:40 am
@Rockhead,
they're called fries (not french fries - just fries- as in - would you like fries with that?) in McDonalds here (in England)- chips every place else.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 01:41 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Please excuse my ignorance here, but .... when you're taking "French fries", is this any different to what many of us in other countries simply call "chips"? (As in fish and chips, a traditional Friday night fast food which Catholics used to enjoy on no meat Fridays.) Longish slices of potato deep fried in very hot oil, then sprinkled with salt when cooked. Crisp on the outside & creamy on the inside. Eaten piping hot.

Your assessment of chips = French Fries is accurate. Your description [sigh] makes me wish it wasn't 3:37 in the morning. I'm now desperately craving some fish and chips from say ... Salt and Battery : http://www.asaltandbattery.com/menu ... which at this time of night is obviously closed. And even if it was open, I am lacking in funds....
C'est la vie pauvre!
msolga

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 01:42 am
@tsarstepan,
Now I'm hungry, too, tsarstepan! And it's all your fault! Laughing
Diest TKO

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 01:57 am
@aidan,
real story.

When I was like 8, I overheard my dad talking about growing up in San Diego and eating fish and chips and how he was bummed that he could get that in the Midwest. I thought this was odd. To surprise him, one day he came home from work and I gave him a bowl of tuna and some corn chips (crisps).

I didn't understand why he found that amusing at the time. Granted, years later I figured it out.

Tuna
K
On chips
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 02:05 am
@msolga,
Good night. Maybe I'll dream of fries.

But with my luck I'll dream of Frylock...
http://www.emaila.net/bigballz/random/frylock.jpg....
aidan

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 02:09 am
@Diest TKO,
That is really sweet. Your dad must have felt so cared for.
My daughter hates fish - to this day she won't eat fish knowingly - but one day I made salmon and she was eating it and she said, 'This chicken is really good.' And her big brother who was about seven at the time and just loved to correct her said, 'It's not chicken it's fish.' She said, 'No - I don't like fish and I like this - this is chicken.'
And I said, 'Olivia - it really IS fish honey.'
And she said, 'Well, I call it chicken.'....

And speaking of chips and crisps -the trouble I always have over here is asking for chips when I mean crisps. I just can't seem to switch over to crisps - so I'll say - 'Do you have chips - you know potato chips' and they'll say, 'We don't have facilities to cook here' and I'll say - 'No, I don't need home made ones - just regular chips in the package...' and then they'll just look at me strange and then I'll remember and say - 'Crisps - I meant crisps...'
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 02:10 am
@tsarstepan,
No don't do that! (Dream of Frylock, I mean!)

Night night!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 03:53 am
@Rockhead,
ANOTHER BIG VOTE for Thrashers (cept we get em at Rehoboth and Bethany)

You cant eat a large order so I like feeding the seagulls a nice vein impacting, cholesterolli laden snack.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 11:11 am
@farmerman,
"Do you have anymore French fries for lil cute me?"
http://shipwreckedandstranded.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/interested-seagull.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 03:49 am
@tsarstepan,
Fries from the Rare Bar & Grill’s Flatiron Burger Barn
http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2010/04/rare_bar_grill.html#photo=9
http://i39.tinypic.com/34dnaeu.jpg
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 07:55 pm
@Ceili,

found poutine on a menu in south portland, maine.
did not order it, but did have a turkey dinnah with all the trimmings -- gravy galore...
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 07:59 pm
@Region Philbis,
Those Canadians and their poutine are invading the US via New England!!!

This gloopy high fat beachhead must be repelled before they move farther south in their attempt to conquer our beloved french fries! Shocked
farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 08:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
GET A ROPE!! we got us some work t'do.

I had some great french fried sweet potatoes the other day. NO nothin on em either, just ground pepper, DAYUM was they evr good.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 08:38 pm
Mmmm! I LOVE sweet potato fries!
dyslexia

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 08:45 pm
@Eva,
chili cheese fries
http://www.elreymexicanfoods.com/chili-cheese-fries.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 08:53 pm
I hate, hate, hate sweet tater fries.

One of the best orders of fries you can get is at Wendy's, but only if you get within seconds of them coming out of the deep fryer, and eat them right away. Within minutes, they suck as bad as or worse than any other fast food order of fries.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 08:57 pm
@Ceili,
I was surprised to learn a couple of years ago that poutine was invented 50 years ago (circa 1958) by the owner of a greasy spoon in Sherbrooke. Somehow, i had always assumed it was a traditional dish of les habitants. Great stuff, though . . . you can even get poutine at Burger King.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 09:06 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
(As in fish and chips, a traditional Friday night fast food which Catholics used to enjoy on no meat Fridays.)

While i briefly lived in Ireland, it became evident that the chippers did their biggest business after the locals closed (half-ten weekdays, half-eleven on Fridays and Saturdays). Your best bet was to get there just before the pubs closed, or about two hours after the pubs closed.

Of course, there are couple-three-four Catholics in most Irish towns.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 04:14 am
I unerstand that BP will, if everything else fails, try to superinject great volumes of poutine down that errant borehole.