The able2know Tea Room:: Now Open::

roger

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 03:40 pm
@farmerman,
Great plan, fm. You could also plant an apple seed and sit on it for a few years. You could end up sitting in a lovely apple tree, without ever having to climb it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 03:50 pm
@vonny,
It's where you take a type of tea you like and put it in a gallon jar of water. I use tea bags. I suppose loose tea in balls would do very well. You let it sit in the full sun until it gains a strength you like. Take it in and commence to enjoy.
roger

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 04:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
Is the result different that what you would get by boiling water in the conventional way?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 04:24 pm
@roger,
To me, sun tea is more mellow. But I like it both ways.
roger

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 04:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thank you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 04:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
I like both. I never tested boiling a gallon of water versus the sun jar thing with the same amounts of the same tea. Alas I gave away my glass gallon jars when I moved (dumb choices one makes).
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 05:03 pm
@ossobuco,
Well of course in both instances you have to adjust for personal taste. My wife was making tea way too weak. I more than doubled it.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 05:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
Do you let tea that you've made with boiling water come to room temp before drinking?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 05:07 pm
@ehBeth,
I let it cool, put it in the refrigerator, and drink it cold (no ice).
ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 05:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
and the sun tea is had cold as well?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 05:10 pm
@ehBeth,
Yes.
I used to drink all my tea hot, but not in a long time now.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 05:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
Same here. If the ice cubes melt, it's too weak. If it gets to room temp, well that's okay, too.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 05:19 pm
@roger,
Right. Ice is a nuisance.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 05:24 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Same here. If the ice cubes melt, it's too weak.

go crazy - make frozen tea cubes

I did go through a phase of making frozen lemon juice / lemonade cubes to put in cold tea. I pretty much reverted to hot tea.
roger

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 05:29 pm
@ehBeth,
Believe it or not, I tried that. They don't store well. If you don't believe me, make some and keep them frozen for a few weeks. Some part of the tea actually works it's way to the bottom of the cubes and just sits there looking ugly. Doesn't hurt anything, I suppose, but I do not like the looks of it.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 05:35 pm
@roger,
Mine didn't last a few weeks - I was lucky to get 3 trays of lemonade cubes to last a week. I was making them and putting them into baggies as fast as my old fridge/freezer could make them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 05:38 pm
Much as I like to hear what other people in this and other countries like, I'm an american schlub with some other country tastes -- this time, the schlub. Intellectually I get that not being piping hot nor being heavily iced is better for flavor. Maybe it was living in humid Chicago that got me as a child in love with ice cold. Or not, as other countries are quite hot and humid, but that made me happy as a kid.

I like my tea and coffee hot but not burnt or nice and cold (well, my idea of nice and cold).

This has led me to be a pest at certain cafe counters or tables. In Italy, the hotel clerk and I watching tennis on the lobby tv in between him answering the phone, and he making me some light concoction, probably a Campari and something, and me begging him for ice: I got one ice cube. Well, never mind, we both rooted for the same player in english (him) and italian (me), both working the conversation. He could be my grandson but the talk was on equal planes. Let me recommend Piccolo Puccini Hotel in Lucca, if it's still there.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Fri 3 May, 2013 02:28 am
I guess the climate dictates at what temperature you'll most enjoy your beverages. For me, in chilly old England, piping hot is the practical choice. But when we get sunshine - rare, but oh so welcome - then out comes iced Russian Tea - delicious.

Hey, Ossobuco, you have good taste in music - can you suggest anything that might be nice on a coolly pleasant day like today? Something that everyone will enjoy?
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Mon 6 May, 2013 04:18 am
I've come across here for a bit of peace and quiet! My head aches - need a nice cup of something herbal - something with calming properties please!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 07:28 pm
anyone on samovar duty tonight?