How useful/effective really is the zero-tolerance policy on weapons in schools?

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 01:00 pm
@Robert Gentel,
The policy makers of the world (local, city wide, state wide, and national) won't listen to the likes of me. In all earnest, I wish they would listen to your well reasoned and thoughtful voice.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 01:02 pm
I brought guns (and a jack knife, in case I needed to cut anything)
to school for years, with no trouble.

In grade school, for speech class "show and tell"
I brought in a paper representation of a crap table and dice.
I taped it to the blackboard, and cut the tape with my jack knife.
The teacher joked: "when that knife came out, I had some doubts
about my grading": no trouble.

In college, the professor in an English speech class, told us to bring
in something for "show and tell"; I brought in an M 1 Carbine,
field stripped it in front of the class, explaining how it functioned.
I got a good grade. Of necessity, I carried it around until time for class
and thereafter put it back in my car: no trouble, no comments, no questions.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 01:15 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Hmm... you call that a rifle?! A M1 Carbine?! Ha, that's nothing!

Look what this congresswoman, Carolyn Mccarthy, brought into show and tell.
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:FHoQZCbmlUO2uM:http://carolynmccarthy.house.gov/images/user_images/50cal1.JPG
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 01:44 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Quote:
Hmm... you call that a rifle?!
I did not use that word,
but a carbine is defined as a short light rifle.

Quote:
A M1 Carbine?! Ha, that's nothing!

Thay come with 15 round magazines.
U can easily get 30 round M 2 magazines for them.

Quote:

Look what this congresswoman, Carolyn Mccarthy, brought into show and tell.
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:FHoQZCbmlUO2uM:http://carolynmccarthy.house.gov/images/user_images/50cal1.JPG
I attended a lecture of hers
at a library. From the audience, I told her that when I read of what
happened to her husband, I wished that I had been able to hand him
a cocked, loaded revolver. She did not like that.

I read that she was divorcing him, at the time.

David
roger

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 01:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
.30 Carbine makes a pee poor rifle cartridge. Ruger once put out a single action revolver chambered for it. That was one very hot pistol cartridge.

Off topic, but it's your topic.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 01:58 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

.30 Carbine makes a pee poor rifle cartridge.
Ruger once put out a single action revolver chambered for it.
That was one very hot pistol cartridge.

You can get 30 round magazines for them.
This carbine was conceived as a substitute for the Colt .45 Pistol.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 03:28 pm
@roger,
I am so far from a gun not that all of this is pretty much over my head.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 03:29 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I was under the impression the congress woman was trying to ban the .50 caliber sniper rifle shown in front of her... so the post was kind of meant in an ironic sense. I couldn't tell a joke to save myself. Embarrassed
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 04:21 pm
@tsarstepan,
S'okay. Had nothing to do with the real topic, anyway.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 05:06 pm
@Diest TKO,
Quote:
That's the idea. Did I clear up what I was saying?
K
O

Yes, you did, Diest.

Thanks, that's much better. Smile
ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 05:07 pm
@msolga,
I read some of the comments to this article.. interesting in themselves. There were about seven hundred when I last checked..
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 05:20 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

.30 Carbine makes a pee poor rifle cartridge.
Ruger once put out a single action revolver chambered for it.
That was one very hot pistol cartridge.

The M-1 Carbine was not my first gun.
I must confess that in the development and evolution
of my gun collection, I have not been ruled by the exclusive control
of security considerations. My collection has also flowered along
esthetic and historical lines. When I have gotten a new gun,
its like when I get a new car: I want it to be graceful, charming, replete with beauty.
Thay shoud not necessarily be too powerful, with a vu toward minimizing
the risk of over-penetration, tho in reality, it has not worked out that way.

If u 'll forgive my boasting: I have been accosted more than once
at gunnery ranges by attenders, including the police, who have
commended me on the elegance & allure of my collection,
insofar as it is present, maybe 5 or 6 guns, possibly including
my original 9mm Luger P- '08 stamped "1940" or my .44 caliber Ruger SuperBlackhawk,
with its distinctive square triggerguard, & my .357 Ruger Blackhawk inter alia. Guns are tons of fun.

When I first saw the semi-automatic M-1 Carbine, as a child: it was love at first sight. I got 2 of them.
I was impressed with its 15 round magazine, and got some mags of 30 rounds.
The second one was from the U.S. Director of Civilian Marksmanship for only $20.
It was in mint condition, still packed in its original cosmoline.

Accordingly, Roger: when I first decided to get an M-1 Carbine,
the power of its .30 caliber cartridge did not control my choice.

Thus saith David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 05:28 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

I am so far from a gun not that all of this is pretty much over my head.
If u are too far from guns
then u shoud move closer to them.

David
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 05:44 pm
Could we get back to the main topic, which is interesting?
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 06:00 pm
@ossobuco,
S'il vous plait!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 06:03 pm
@ossobuco,
Good idea. Sorry for the digression.
msolga

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 06:05 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Quote:
The problem with all 'zero tolerance' rules is that, by definition, there can be no exceptions allowed for mitigating or extenuating circumstances. And, furthermore, the rule against 'no weapons of any description' fails to adequately define a 'weapon.' I would never have imagined that a Boy Scout knife (or a Swiss Army knife, for that matter) could be considered a weapon. As David has already pointed out, under the right circumstances literally anything can be construed as a weapon.

I certainly can see a boyscout knife or a Swiss Army Knife being used as a weapon. I know of a number of instances where they have been used as weapons. But why would any student need to bring a knife (of any sort) to school, anyway? What "mitigating or extenuating circumstances" do you think might apply? Personally, I can't see any problem with schools wanting to ban them from their premises. The problem, to me, is how they they go about enforcing such a ban. As I said earlier, a 45 day suspension for a 6 year old seems hardly appropriate.

I'm assuming the US schools concerned have reasons for these policies, based on past experience? (I'm not aware of similar rules in Australian schools, so I can't really compare our different circumstances.) But without knowing too much about the background information that's led to the bans, I'd imagine there'd be little argument from parents if the motivation was understood to be the safety of their children. It does help enormously, of course, if parents have been involved in the process of formulating the rules & are aware of (& support) the consequences for breaching them. But once the rules are actually in place, schools should be in a realist position to realistically apply them.
msolga

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 07:07 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
School teachers have a professional history of irrationality

You know, that's rather a cheap shot. And so easy to get away with in an atmosphere where teachers' work is largely unappreciated & denigration is almost a public sport. (In Oz it's known as "teacher bashing".) Yes, I'm sure there are irrational teachers. But things aren't quite so black & white, by a long shot.

There are also examples of irrational parents & family members, you know. Let me illustrate, with a just few examples which I personally know about, in my own "backyard", so to speak:
- A school principal is accosted in his office by a machete-yielding parent, angry at something about the way his son has been treated. (I can't recall the exact nature of the grievance) As well as a tirade of verbal abuse, the parent waves the machete over the principal's head, as if to strike. (I'm not making this up. I used know this principal very well. Or I did, in a previous life.) Police involvement is necessary & a court case ensues. It turns out that the reason for the attack is that the parent (a refuge) suffers from acute stress, as a result of persecution in his homeland. No charges are laid as a result.
- An older brother attacks a teacher in the school car park after school with a baseball bat (having already damaged the teacher's car). He (the brother) is angry because his younger brother received an "unfair" after-school detention the previous day. Police involvement & another court case.
- A group of adolescents have some grievance with a rival group. A "showdown" is planned for after school (damn mobile phones!) At the end of the school day, a packed carload of family (parents, uncles, aunts) arrive, armed with various "weapons", to support "their" boy. Once again, police, court case. This was this year, in a school I teach in.

I could give you quite a few more examples, but let's just say, these sorts of incidents happen. Rather more frequently these days, sadly. And let's just say, I know of few teachers who behave quite so irrationally (as these parents) in the process of doing their jobs. God knows what would happen to them if they did.

My point in posting this? Letting off a bit of steam, I guess. I get so tired of the constant teacher bashing. Everyone being an expert on what's wrong with teaches & schools, but often having so little insight into the realities schools deal with daily. Sigh. And also to point out the difficulties, in some of the more "troubled" school environments that teachers work under. Some of them somehow manage to do their best & keep trying against all the odds (& I don't just mean crazy parents) & (gasp) actually do a good job.

OK, vent over. Please continue now.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 08:24 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Good idea. Sorry for the digression.
I forgive u.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 08:57 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:
The problem with all 'zero tolerance' rules is that, by definition, there can be no exceptions allowed for mitigating or extenuating circumstances. And, furthermore, the rule against 'no weapons of any description' fails to adequately define a 'weapon.' I would never have imagined that a Boy Scout knife (or a Swiss Army knife, for that matter) could be considered a weapon. As David has already pointed out, under the right circumstances literally anything can be construed as a weapon.
It is not merely a matter of interpretation; with very little cleverness,
almost ANYTHING can be used as an effective weapon
(tho some weapons are better than others).
For instance, a pencil driven into the throat or a carotid artery,
or using a wooden or plastic ruler to slash that artery,
or using one's bare hands to box the victim's ears: lethal in the extreme; almost effortless.

Q.E.D.: anti-weapons laws are only foolish, futile and absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to enforce

I certainly can see a boyscout knife or a Swiss Army Knife being used as a weapon. I know of a number of instances where they have been used as weapons. But why would any student need to bring a knife (of any sort) to school, anyway? What "mitigating or extenuating circumstances" do you think might apply? Personally, I can't see any problem with schools wanting to ban them from their premises. The problem, to me, is how they they go about enforcing such a ban. As I said earlier, a 45 day suspension for a 6 year old seems hardly appropriate.

I'm assuming the US schools concerned have reasons for these policies, based on past experience? (I'm not aware of similar rules in Australian schools, so I can't really compare our different circumstances.) But without knowing too much about the background information that's led to the bans, I'd imagine there'd be little argument from parents if the motivation was understood to be the safety of their children. It does help enormously, of course, if parents have been involved in the process of formulating the rules & are aware of (& support) the consequences for breaching them. But once the rules are actually in place, schools should be in a realist position to realistically apply them.
These rules are completely irrational e.g. the vindictive exclusion from high school graduation
of a girl whose picture appeared in the school yearbook
with her posing upon an Army battle tank, symbolic of her having joined the Army
effective soon after her graduation.

That is politically correct and psychotic.

The people who have enacted those rules shoud be disciplined;
perhaps demotion, reduction of salary and loss of vacation days.

David
0 Replies