American administration inclinations towards British governement

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 07:00 am
Is it right that when it comes to wars or financial crises the American governement always is in need for Britain's advice , help and support. Here in England we hear that without Britain's backing US cannot devise its strategy about war on terrorism and had Britain not supported the Bush administration in Iraq war it would have been a complete failure for the US. There are other who agree that Britain has the key to American hegemony in the world and with the British support Israel wages war on when it wants

Taking into consideration all this I thinks British still holds sway in the world using the American government. What do you think about this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 794 • Replies: 10
No top replies

engineer

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 07:34 am
@findingsolutions,
I think in general that the US likes to have "partners" when it undertakes international adventures. Britain is often willing to be that partner. London probably has the ear of Washington, but I think that if Britain decided not to play ball, the US would just look elsewhere. Elsewhere in Europe is becoming hard to find so that gives Britain more clout, but I think your statement that Britain "holds sway in the world using the American government" is backwards. I think it is more the US using the UK as a fig leaf.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 07:36 am
I think you Saxon clowns are legends in your own minds.
contrex

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 09:12 am
@Setanta,
Speaking as an English person, it always annoys me to hear claims that Britain is capable of "punching above its weight" in the world arena because of this alleged "special relationship". Firstly because it is untrue and secondly because it is embarrassing and shameful to have my country used as a fig leaf by the USA who clearly rate Britain as somewhere between Waziristan and Tonga in real importance.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 10:09 am
I haven't the least notion why you quoted my post. I am not responsible for any claim that the English are "punching above their weight."
contrex

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 12:01 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I haven't the least notion why you quoted my post.

I did not "quote" your post. I replied to it.

Setanta wrote:
I am not responsible for any claim that the English* are "punching above their weight."

I never said that you were. I was responding to your remark about "Saxons" being "legends in their own minds"

* Did you mean the British?

http://www.ac-nancy-metz.fr/enseign/anglais/Henry/uk_colour_map.gif
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 12:03 pm
Fine . . . i have no idea why you responded to my post. I am not responsible for a claim that the English are "punching above their weight."
Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 12:05 pm
By the way, smart ass, Waziristan is a region, not a nation; a region straddling the border of Afghanistan and Pakistan. Of course, given that it is the "privileged sanctuary" of the Taliban, it probably is militarily more formidable than the English.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 12:25 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I am not responsible for a claim that the English are "punching above their weight."

For the second time, I never said you were!* These claims are only made by British politicians desirous of justifying Britain's supine, ass-licking relationship with the US

*Why are you being so grouchy?

Quote:
Of course, given that it is the "privileged sanctuary" of the Taliban, it probably is militarily more formidable than the English.

Why are you being so rude about the "English"? You are usually quite pleasant. Are you having a bad hair day?

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 12:32 pm
I'm grouchy ? ! ? ! ?

Maybe you should read your posts again.

Tell me, when John Lennon wrote a song lyric, "I saw a film to day, oh boy! The English army had just won the war."--did you fire off a letter to him to ask if he meant the British army?
contrex

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 12:49 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Tell me, when John Lennon wrote a song lyric, "I saw a film to day, oh boy! The English army had just won the war."--did you fire off a letter to him to ask if he meant the British army?

I expect I was probably too stoned to worry about it; and possibly I assumed he was awarding himself poetic licence.

0 Replies