Rain Soft System causing lose of well system prime

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 07:29 pm
Hi - I have a 20 year old rainsoft system that recently started causing a loss of water pressure when the mineral tank back flushes. It does not loose pressure when the brine tank back flushes - just the mineral tank. The presssure gauge on the system generally shows 50-60psi. Water pressure is good throughout the day and night regardless of whether the shower, the dishwater or the clothes washer is running. The water pressure tank is showing 45psi with a tire gauge. The pump comes on around 40psi and stops around 60psi.

The rain soft guy says that the pressure switch may need to be replaced and wants us to call in a plumber. I think it is the water treatment system because I can hear the back flush starting in the middle of the night and then I immediately hear the pressure drop and the backflush process stop.

Do you have any ideas whether to focus on the water treatment system or the plumbing?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 900 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Joethewaterguy

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 03:01 pm
@jgiffing,
have you had any luck in finding the problem? I'm not sure what you you have, but the "mineral" tank probably backwashes at 5 gpm. The brine tank flushes at about 1.2 gpm. Are they both backwashing at the same time and day? Is it that you don't have water in the morning? or just concerned about not hearing it? It could be the mineral tank needs rebed and just can't handle 5gpm. If you have no water in the morning, I'd say it was the well, it can't keep up with the flow needed,since you say when it kicks on the pressure drops.
Is this a well? Since you mention a pressure tank, it's assumed it is. Is this a bladder tank? When you measure the pressure in the tank, is this 45psi just anytime? If it's a bladder tank it should be set at 2 lbs psi lower than the kick on pressure of the switch, this is with the pump off and all water drained out of the tank.
0 Replies