Tofu is looking better and better..

ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 05:01 pm
@farmerman,
You canna never be Spendi...
ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 05:06 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm very cautious about tofu as I try to limit my use of soy products, but I do love, as a very special treat

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/images/20090724-tofu-meatballs.jpg

which is known as deep-fried mashed bean curd on bok choy at my fav Chinese resto in Chinatown III (or tofu dumplings on greens if you ask my friend Mary)

apparently the real name is Lion's Head with Cabbage
ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 05:10 pm
@ossobuco,
I also like tofu pockets (found in cans in some grocery stores) filled with japanese rice with rice vinegar. I bet other rice fillings, rice and shrimp, rice and lap cheung, hmm, rice and hot peppers and whatever... would be good too. The can I have (which the finding of precipitated my buying five pounds of cal rose rice since it didn't come in one pound bags) is called "Inarizushi-no-moto".

ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 05:16 pm
@ehBeth,
That looks great, Beth.. I know I'd love it.

I also watch the soy products, having had bc, but I got a pass for some once in a while from my surgeon. At the time, she said the big worry was women scarfing up soy powders as a health food in great quantities, not eating tofu once every three months. I admit I steer to almond or rice milk if I want venture from the cow..

One of these days I'm going to have to buy a quart of goat milk and just try it. I don't mind goat meat in indian food, but something stops me from buying the milk. Fear, that's what.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 05:17 pm
@ossobuco,
I've had that can about six months now. Been using the rice in the meantime.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 07:28 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Ill just be the token contrarian who dips i9nto a thread (sorta like spendi) just to object to the topics premise. In this case I say that tofu blows.

Tofu blows because for some people, me, it's unsatisfying as a meal. Once in a while I go to a yoga ashram for a little retreat and all they serve for food is really tasty tofu main course meals. I find, after about a day of eating it, I crave things like Cheetos and chocolate, starchy things. As a main souce of protein it simply does not work.
farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 07:32 am
@Gala,
HA, Ive been doing some free work for a Hindu temple in Lewhigh County Pa. Whenever I go up tere the always use food as a means of beginning discussions and m,uch of the food is tofu based. If you sock it with enough flavor and curry, its not too disgusting but I, like you, would sneak away to the nearby WaWa store to buy Chips and Slim Jims.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 07:39 am
Tofu-

Freeze it first.
Let it thaw and then squeeze out the water with a towel.
Take your dried tofu and put it into what ever seasonings you like with a little extra water and place it in a bowl for about 20 minutes. Squeeze it a bit while in the seasnings.

In a pan with a tiny touch of butter ( mostly so the tofu has something to fry in) or with spray oil, cook it slowly on low heat for about 20 minutes on each side.
Jack the heat up to med-high then fry until edges are crispy.

I used to make peanut butter tofu that way.
Sweet tofu
caramelized tofu
Steak flavored tofu
BBQ tofu

you name it.
And everyone, even poopity heads, liked it.
Linkat

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 09:58 am
Have you tried ground turkey? We use it for tacos.

But I also love tofu - not for that, but for stir fry with veggies - I do season it well like others mentioned - I may be weird, but I love the taste and texture.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 10:02 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Have you tried ground turkey?

I use ground turkey as well as ground chicken instead of ground beef quite often.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 12:07 pm
@shewolfnm,
shewolf once fed me some tofu, later I fell and broke my hip.
chai2

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 12:22 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

I like tofu too, just don't like using it as a substitute.

Well except for Morningstar Farms pizza veggies burgers, I've extolled their virtues before.

But usually I prefer tofu in Asian dishes, not trying to pretend to be something else. And then I like ground beef (or buffalo) when I want ground beef (or buffalo). (Made buffalo burgers again last week, turned out quite well! Too loosely put together though, I was trying to be light but they fell apart too easily.)

I feel the same way soz. I don't generally try to make a food something it isn't.

But, like you...Morningstar Farms corn dogs. They are quite nice for a quick snack once in a while.

I'll go through stages of loving tofu, then not thinking about it for a time.

The tofu and cabbage does sound great though.

I had essentially cut meat out of my diet for awhile, but it snuck back in.
I was quite happy without it, and started eating it again out of laziness.

I'm coming back to the stage of sticking to fish if I want meat. I guess I have to pick my battles.

BTW, cyclo had talked about a breakfast dish he would make from quinoa. It's the best.

I don't remember the exact receipe, it's one of those you can just make up as you go along, depending on your mood.

Basically it's quinoa simmered in milk (I use unsweetened soy), and a bit of honey for sweetness. From there it's anyones guess what I'll put in it.
Peanut butter, chopped nuts, raisins, banana, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, a little vanilla.

You can cook some up, and it stays good for a few days. Just add more milk, or even water, to loosen it up while reheating.

I use the red quinoa simply because it's cheaper.

It's always good to mention to rinse the quinoa well, even rubbing between you hands in a big bowl of water, before pouring through a fine sieve. Quinoa has a bitter coating, but easily comes off.

I've mentioned before, but quinoa is unique among grains in that it has all the amino acids needed to make a complete protein.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 12:23 pm
I am building a life-size tofu statue of Dyslexia.
chai2

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 12:25 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

shewolf once fed me some tofu, later I fell and broke my hip.

that bitch.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 08:03 pm
Maybe I'm missing the point here, or maybe I missed a post saying what I am about to say..... Wouldn't be the first time for either!

Why get hung up on soy beans (tofu)? Any bean will give you part of your protein intake. Pair beans with rice, corn or bread and you have whole protein. Mix your combos up and you're even safer.

Osso - you live in one of the best regions for beans and rice!
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 08:26 pm
@littlek,
The point was about the scary e. coli pathway report ... I was teasing about tofu in the title.

I do eat a lot of beans and rice, including anasazi beans, pintos, "northern" beans, cranberry beans, black beans, and once in a while azuki beans. Well, that's a fib. I eat more beans and noodles/pasta, usually in soups.

We have a few tofu teasers here at a2k.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 10:11 pm
Sorry, but tofu looks awfully bad when you compare it with real food.

http://teleburst.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/df08_02_06_steak.jpg
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 10:40 pm
@George,
Won't take much.
George

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 07:15 am
@roger,
Fer sure.
Surface doesn't hold all the wrinkles, crags, and crevices very well, tho.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 07:21 am
My favorite is fried tofu stuffed with shrimp paste served at dim sum.
0 Replies