Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 06:29 am
@farmerman,
They'd be able to lift it, ya think?
BorisKitten

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 06:34 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Future squirrel pie?

The young fellas my husband works with actually shoot squirrels and make stew out of them. Weird but True!

I have to wonder, how much squirrel is left once it's shot with a gun? And how many squirrels do they need to make a stew?

A yucky idea, but these boys grew up way rural (yeah, in Florida). Seems, er, normal to them.
sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 06:42 am
@BorisKitten,
Yeah, that's the basis of the squirrel-in-the-fridge thing. We did talk about it, but we weren't serious. (E.G.'s dad used to shoot squirrels with his bb gun to supplement the family's protein. Big family, not much money. They'd actually make squirrel stew.)
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 06:45 am
@BorisKitten,
Most parts of the country have a squirrel season in which it is legal to hunt squirrels. It's not as unusual as you would think or hope.

I vote it was take-out dinner for some other critter. In the future, assuming this happens again, I would suggest burying the thing before it starts to rot.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 09:19 am
@sozobe,
Quote:
They'd be able to lift it, ya think?
YEP, Red tail gawks are pretty big and can fly away with a chicken if they get really hungry.
sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 09:22 am
@farmerman,
Wow. OK, I'm ready to give up the zombie squirrel theory then. (Does anyone think it could've been stunned?)
DrewDad

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 09:26 am
@sozobe,
You just missed the squirrel paramedics and the tiny ambulance.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 09:31 am
@sozobe,
I took it just to freak you out. I was going to put it back just to further freak you out but now you've gone and ruined my surprise.
sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 09:39 am
@boomerang,
You're just covering for the fact that you already made it into some tasty, tasty squirrel stew so there's nothing to put back. Admit it!
boomerang

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:12 am
@sozobe,
Yeah.... well.... now I have.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:43 am
@sozobe,
Aha - he was beamed up.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:46 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
(Does anyone think it could've been stunned?)

the bugs on the eyeballs thing make that seem a bit unlikely

0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:55 am
i been trying to avoid this thread, but I AM somrthing of a squirrel afficianado.

were the eyeball being consumed by the bugs, or were they just dancing around upon them like little glassy skating rinks?

the reason I ask is this.

i have known some rather incredibly brave squirrels in my time, and in the course of their adventures, some have been known to fall and knock the bejeesus outta themselves. stay down for a while, unconscious and all that, and when their little pea-brains get the wiring all reworked and straightened out, BANG, up they'd shoot and off they would go again.

they are kinda mystifying little devils if you watch them closely...
BorisKitten

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 03:46 pm
@Rockhead,
So, you mean, a dead-looking squirrel could have insects crawling about its eyes, then get up and walk away?

I think this qualifies as a Zombie Squirrel! <Shudders>
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 03:51 pm
@Rockhead,
Glassy!!!

It's aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiivvvvvvvvve!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 03:51 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

i have known some rather incredibly brave squirrels in my time, . . . .

They are not brave, they are, well, squirrely.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 10:11 am
Solved!

http://imgur.com/15bx1.jpg

I really do think it was a cat.
sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 10:13 am
@Robert Gentel,
That's a chipmunk! About a third of the size of a squirrel.

Rockhead's buggy ice-skating rink was eerily accurate -- that's exactly what I saw. If he's seen squirrels scamper off after that, I can believe that's what happened.
sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 10:16 am
@sozobe,
Pic of cat and squirrel for relative size:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2433/3842000637_21657e074f.jpg

Note -- I think a cat would and could kill a live squirrel, but less convinced it would want to drag away an already-dead one. And the squirrel didn't have a mark on it.
FreeDuck

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 11:13 am
@sozobe,
We had a cat who hunted squirrels and collected the tails behind a board propped against the house. We found them all there after the cat went missing. But I don't think she would have gone after an already dead squirrel, like you say.

I'm leaning towards the zombie theory unless you have some other scavenging animals nearby.
0 Replies