Why Did Roman Polanski Run Away?

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 09:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Governments had taken a pass on nabbing Polanski for decades because they have nothing to gain for doing so but a thousand headaches. I don't know how far up the chain of command the decision to take him went, but someone higher should have called it off, told Polanski not to come if need be. If there was no planning, if some rouge agent decided to make the collar, the central government is still at fault, for not being aware the Polanski was coming and taking steps to avoid needing to take possession of him.
Total nonsense. Executing a legal warrant doesn't put them at "fault." There is no fault, as they merely delivered a criminal to justice, exactly as they are and should always be expected to do. The idea that a government should take precaution to make sure they don't have to apprehend a wanted felon is absurd.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 09:15 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

This is not a riposte to any exact post. But, O'Bill...
I often agree with you on this and that, at least at first. But you get into bludgeoning in a way that makes me look at you.

On Polanski - having been raped myself and said no and no and no and no to no avail, and dealt with the circumstances, I've no favor for even zonko'd rapists.
I'm assuming Polanski was a clever **** to a maleable young girl, or perhaps she was fully recalcitrant.

But.. I see your vitriol to him as just about drooling.

I'd be glad to see Polanski stand up in court.
I don't know about punishment, that's another story.
Drooling? You must have confused me with shorteyes, or you’re confused yourself with the English language. Yes, I want rapists punished and I don't want people with extraordinary means to be above rape laws. Your attempt to impugn the victim with your apologist stance above is obscene.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 09:18 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Do you even bother to look at evidence that does not go your way??

We have the former Swiss Justice Minister
Quote:
Blocher said, adding that's why a warning might have been better: "Then we would have been spared this whole mess."

See my post on the last page for more education, should you happen to be teachable.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 09:30 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
eh?

impugn the victim? the victim said no, repeatedly, I gather. That is all that matters, 13 or 83.

Bill, you are doing a prince thing and for some of us who have been actually raped, it is damned annoying.

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 09:32 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Quote:
Yes, I want rapists punished and I don't want people with extraordinary means to be above rape laws. Your attempt to impugn the victim with your apologist stance above is obscene.

we did not just fall off of the turnip truck, you have personal baggage on this subject, we just don't know the exact nature of it. Did you rape some girl as a teen? Want to but feel guilty? Were you the victim of sexual taunting by the other boys in middle school? Why don't you fill us in so that we can know where all of this hate comes from.

It is not only these rape threads where you show yourself, you said several times that you could not stand guys being guys at your failed bar, that you would not tolerate them mashing on your waitresses. I assume that you would not let them flirt with the customers either, considering the business how was that ever going to work for you? Why do you hate guys so much that you would rather lose money than face up to how you are, why you are the way you are?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 09:37 pm
@ossobuco,
please separate my comments from hawk's. I'm just talking - obnoxiously, I'll admit.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 10:38 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Do you even bother to look at evidence that does not go your way??

We have the former Swiss Justice Minister
Quote:
Blocher said, adding that's why a warning might have been better: "Then we would have been spared this whole mess."

See my post on the last page for more education, should you happen to be teachable.
That's not evidence, you ******* moron. That is one person's opinion... and I happen to disagree for the reasons stated.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 10:46 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

eh?

impugn the victim? the victim said no, repeatedly, I gather. That is all that matters, 13 or 83.
Yes, impugn the victim:
ossobuco previously wrote:
I'm assuming Polanski was a clever **** to a maleable young girl, or perhaps she was fully recalcitrant.
That kind of bullshit is like saying, “well if she wasn’t dressing sexy…
It’s irrelevant bullshit Osso. Recognize it.

ossobuco wrote:
Bill, you are doing a prince thing and for some of us who have been actually raped, it is damned annoying.
WTF is that supposed to mean? You've been raped, so you're annoyed that somebody despises rapists and comments accordingly? That doesn't even make sense, and I'll not alter my demeanor over your irrational response.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 10:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Yes, I want rapists punished and I don't want people with extraordinary means to be above rape laws. Your attempt to impugn the victim with your apologist stance above is obscene.

we did not just fall off of the turnip truck, you have personal baggage on this subject, we just don't know the exact nature of it. Did you rape some girl as a teen? Want to but feel guilty? Were you the victim of sexual taunting by the other boys in middle school? Why don't you fill us in so that we can know where all of this hate comes from.

It is not only these rape threads where you show yourself, you said several times that you could not stand guys being guys at your failed bar, that you would not tolerate them mashing on your waitresses. I assume that you would not let them flirt with the customers either, considering the business how was that ever going to work for you? Why do you hate guys so much that you would rather lose money than face up to how you are, why you are the way you are?
You really are demented. I've known more than a few women who've been raped by scum like you. The person I love most in this world, among them. I have zero tolerance for Male idiocy to women or each other in any and every business I've ever managed. A coward like you would be tossed in seconds if you weren't content to spread your filth while cowering behind a fake screen name and a phony avatar. Do the world a favor and kill yourself.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 11:06 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

please separate my comments from hawk's. I'm just talking - obnoxiously, I'll admit.
No worries, there. I'd never place you in the same category of that demented piece of ****.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 11:07 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Good grief.

Time for a breather?

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 02:02 am
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

You really are demented.
I've known more than a few women who've been raped by scum like you.
The person I love most in this world, among them.
I have zero tolerance for Male idiocy to women or each other
in any and every business I've ever managed. A coward like you
would be tossed in seconds if you weren't content to spread your
filth while cowering behind a fake screen name and a phony avatar.

Do the world a favor and kill yourself.

Wow! There 's nothing hysterical about YOU is there, Bill?

Even in my most impassioned zeal against gun control,
I don 't scream like THAT!

U think it might be a good idea to get control of your emotions?
No one in this forum has been guilty of sexual violence (so far as we know),
but not everyone shares all of your opinions.

Your posts almost sound as if u were trying to intimidate everyone
into acceptance of your philosophy, on pain of vitriolic denunciations; even a rape victim, herself.

A little politeness & self-control does not hurt anyone.

David
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 05:16 pm
Quote:
In Polanski Case, ’70s Culture Collides With Today

Published: October 10, 2009

LOS ANGELES " At the end of “Manhattan,” the celebrated movie romance from 1979, a teenager played by Mariel Hemingway delivers some good news to the 42-year-old television writer, portrayed by Woody Allen, with whom she has had a long-running sexual affair.

“Guess what, I turned 18 the other day,” said Ms. Hemingway, in what was framed as a poignant encounter. “I’m legal, but I’m still a kid.”

That was then.

Roman Polanski’s arrest on Sept. 26 to face a decades-old charge of having sex with a 13-year-old girl stirred global furor over both Mr. Polanski’s original misdeed and the way the authorities have handled it " along with some sharp reminders that, when it comes to adult sex with the under age, things have changed.

Manners, mores and law enforcement have become far less forgiving of sex crimes involving minors in the 31 years since Mr. Polanski was charged with both rape and sodomy involving drugs. He fled rather than face what was to have been a 48-day sentence after he pleaded guilty to unlawful sex with a minor.

But if he is extradited from Switzerland, Mr. Polanski could face a more severe punishment than he did in the 1970s, as a vigorous victims’ rights movement, a family-values revival and revelations of child abuse by clergy members have all helped change the moral and legal framework regarding sex with the young.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/11/movies/11polanski.html?hp

As I was saying......
BillRM

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 05:58 pm
@hawkeye10,

It was he who flee and by doing so he was the one who stopped the clock so he is facing 2009 justice instead of 1970s.

Seem more then fair to me.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 06:04 pm
@BillRM,
But you don't mind me arguing a different point of view....I hope. The first step is to come to agreement that sitting in a courtroom facing these charges in 2009 is not the same as it was in 1978, if we get to that point we can move on to debating if what the system is doing furthers the cause of justice, or is it rather barbaric retribution.

Those who run from cops tend to get the **** kicked out of them, but we don't think THAT is fair do we....
BillRM

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 06:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
Of course it is not the same and it was the gentleman who got into the time machine and move this to 2009 not the justice system by hiding in France.

Sorry he was the one who hung a rope around his own neck by not taking a sentence and the resulting punishment in the 70s.

Being a pedophile that there is no question rape a child of 13, I think it is amusing that he ran away from far too mild punishment to now face a possible 2009 sytle of justice.

I see no obligation on society to give him the 70s justice that he decided of his own free will to run away from and not our current sentencing guide lines for the raping of a child.

A far as your statement concerning barbartic treatment once more we are talking about a 40 plus year old man who rape a 13 year old child and I for one might or might not draw the line at boiling oil as punishment.

Francis

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 02:29 am
@BillRM,
Again, I'm not defending Polanski nor do I identify with any of his deeds.

But the post above just shows how the subject is now charged emotionally and detrimental to justice.

People get blinded to some facts due to emotion.

Polanski was not hiding in France for 32 years, he traveled all around the world and lived several months a year in Switzerland where he has a chalet.

Again, he run away at the time because he was advised to do so as he couldn't trust an agreement with the judge.

But I'm aware that, like religion, no argument, as sound as it could be, can stop people from thinking with their guts...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 03:18 am
@Francis,

In THIS instance, we agree.
This may be a first.
Francis

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 03:25 am
@OmSigDAVID,
**** happens...
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 06:39 am
@Francis,
He ran away and I do not care why he ran away it does not matter one little bit to me and he as an adult at the time unlike the 13 year old he raped as a 40 plus yesr old man and therefore any bad results of his running away is on his head and no one else.

It is amazing to me that anyone could care under the sitution about this out and out pedophile and child rapist getting a harsher sentence then he would had received if he had face the music in the 70s.

Please try to explain why you are upset that due to this child rapist own actions in the 70s he is facing the music in 2009 instead of the 70s?

0 Replies