Why Did Roman Polanski Run Away?

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 04:28 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
he went to Switzerland, where he owns a home, where he had been several times before, from where presumably at some point he had been given assurances that they would not act on the arrest warrant.

He had too much confidence in the civility of the swiss, that their word was any good. But as customers of swiss banks have recent found out, the value of the word of the swiss aint what it used to be.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 04:30 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Precisely the precedent that needs reversing by punishing Polanski for flaunting our laws.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 04:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

he went to Switzerland, where he owns a home, where he had been several times before,
from where presumably at some point he had been given
assurances that they would not act on the arrest warrant.

He had too much confidence in the civility of the swiss, that their word was any good.
But as customers of swiss banks have recent found out,
the value of the word of the swiss aint what it used to be.
Well said; trusting can bring bad luck.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 06:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawk--I've been wondering if there's not a "touch of envy" in all this moral outrage. It does seem to be nagging at some of the contributors here.

I mean to say--that photo Bill put up is a bit provocative. The one on the left I mean. Her looking over her shoulder like that in a knowing intellectual manner. (The books). Blokes who don't know what that means have had too much Moming in my opinion.

The virgin thing that a lot of men have. Not that I do. Not that she was a virgin either but if there was a scheme going to get Roman to do Lolita properly, maybe if one of those books was The Divine Sarah, say, and it didn't work out so the cops are brought in under Plan B-- then what?

And one does have to wonder, given what we know, about George's aircraft carrier calling at a S.E. Asian port on a goodwill mission in case there's a racist perspective. One wouldn't want to be caught getting more morally outraged at an American 13 year old getting shagged than one of a few thousand in Thailand now would one. That looks really bad from a liberal point of view don't you think?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 06:33 pm
@spendius,
Quote:

hawk--I've been wondering if there's not a "touch of envy" in all this moral outrage. It does seem to be nagging at some of the contributors here

sure, envy that some guys can bang just about any female they want, and then get away with it even if it is against the law. Might even have a go at their woman someday, maybe that fear is what drives this hate. Envy of what money can buy as well, those who dont have the money to do such things as Polanski has done, and never will.

I would rather these blokes stopped with the vendettas against the winners that our society produces, and rather worked towards promoting fairness. Because in spite of all the carping about fairness the liberals don't really give a sh** about it. The Democrats did not end up the hip pocket of the corporate class as much as the Republicans by force, they climbed in going after candy.
spendius

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 06:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
Too ******* true.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 01:15 am
Quote:
GENEVA " Roman Polanski's new film has premiered in Berlin and Swiss authorities have pledged not to extradite him to the U.S. as long as his appeal on a sex case was still being considered in Los Angeles.

Friday was a banner day for the director. Compared to the last four months being under arrest in Switzerland, it was a win-win.

Polanski could not walk the red carpet at the Berlin film festival Friday night for the debut of his movie "The Ghost Writer," starring Ewan McGregor and Pierce Brosnan, because he is under house arrest. But he was still the star of the party, feted by the movie's actors, producer and screenplay writer.

And in a new twist to his long legal saga, the Swiss Justice Ministry declared it would make "no sense" to shift Polanski from house arrest at his Alpine chalet until U.S. courts ruled definitively that he must be sentenced in person to further jail time for having sex in 1977 with a 13-year-old girl.

"When the question is still open, why should he be extradited?" Rudolf Wyss, the ministry's deputy director, told The Associated Press. "As long as the question is still open, our decision depends on that."

"Even if we decide on extradition, he can still appeal. This would take many months," Wyss added.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100213/ap_en_ot/eu_switzerland_polanski

Polanski is an old man, I am not sure that being confined to one of his houses is much of a hardship. He should refuse to go to America, and work to either have his case in LA dropped or for the Swiss to release him. If the American courts do not take action to resolve the case with Polanski gone then the Swiss should release him on the grounds that the Americans don't care enough about putting him in jail to do the work. Sounds to me like the swiss are moving towards an end where they can release him in a year or so.
BillRM

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 07:35 am
@hawkeye10,
I think we should put whatever amount of pressure we need to in order to get this child rapist back under our courts.

Better late then never.
0 Replies