Why Did Roman Polanski Run Away?

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 07:58 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Quote:
Drug raping kids was as illegal, abhorrent, and demented then as it is now, and only a demented sicko like you would argue otherwise.

I graduated High School 1980, in the midwest, in my culture sex and drugs went together most of the time. Sex with an older man was not rape either, it was an adventure worthy of bragging about. It happened quite often, or at least the young girls in my schools claimed that it did, though it was never "normal". The girls that got the older men were edgy sex kittens, and they were admired for their abilities.

drug+sex+ older/younger= nothing to get upset about in my peer group. This was rape/rape so it was worthy of seeing the inside of the courtroom, but not for the reasons you give.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 08:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
This requires no effort at all. 100% of the blame lies with the piece of **** who drug raped a kid and then ran and cowered in France for decades. Blaming anyone other than the self-confessed rapist is an exercise in idiocy.

In your dreams buddy. Only a few idiots of your ilk are willing to give your profession a free pass for ******* this case up. The rest of us see shades of grey when it comes to blame for justice gone wrong.
You speak for no one but your demented self. Rapists are responsible for their own crimes in every civilized venue.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 08:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Drug raping kids was as illegal, abhorrent, and demented then as it is now, and only a demented sicko like you would argue otherwise.

I graduated High School 1980, in the midwest, in my culture sex and drugs went together most of the time. Sex with an older man was not rape either, it was an adventure worthy of bragging about. It happened quite often, or at least the young girls in my schools claimed that it did, though it was never "normal". The girls that got the older men were edgy sex kittens, and they were admired for their abilities.

drug+sex+ older/younger= nothing to get upset about in my peer group. This was rape/rape so it was worthy of seeing the inside of the courtroom, but not for the reasons you give.
Your demented apology ignores the fact the kid was 13, the fact she was given drugs, and the undisputed fact that she repeatedly said NO. NO means NO, you demented ****, and ONLY sick bastards like yourself think otherwise.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 08:28 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Quote:
You speak for no one but your demented self. Rapists are responsible for their own crimes in every civilized venue.

The public servants who take the public's money in their paychecks are responsible for seeing that justice is done, not the criminals. Justice was not done here, thus your profession thus deserves our scorn for failing to do your jobs.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 08:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

The public servants who take the public's money in their paychecks are responsible for seeing that justice is done, not the criminals. Justice was not done here, thus your profession thus deserves our scorn for failing to do your jobs.
I seldom lift a finger on a "Public" case, and never directly. Those responsible for prosecuting criminals do not assume the criminal's guilt for having committed the crime in the first place. Do you think at all before you post?
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 08:45 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Quote:
I seldom lift a finger on a "Public" case, and never directly. Those responsible for prosecuting criminals do not assume the criminal's guilt for having committed the crime in the first place. Do you think at all before you post

Your duty to the collective to see that justice prevails trumps your duty to the accused to get him/her off the system. Both the prosecution and the defense owe the collective justice before all other responsibilities.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 08:51 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
I seldom lift a finger on a "Public" case, and never directly. Those responsible for prosecuting criminals do not assume the criminal's guilt for having committed the crime in the first place. Do you think at all before you post

Your duty to the collective to see that justice prevails trumps your duty to the accused to get him/her off the system. Both the prosecution and the defense owe the collective justice before all other responsibilities.
Proving beyond a reasonable doubt, you have no clue what you're talking about. While it's true that a prosecutor (theoretically) has a duty to seek justice beyond mere advocacy, the defense has no such obligation. That's enough feeding the troll for one day anyway.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 09:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
Polanski is punished, but not the the degree that the barbaric Americans would like, the punishment is reasonable.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
So no real punsihment is call for raping a 13 year old child, in your opinion?

BillRM

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 09:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
no, because Madoff can be face his peers in judgment in a courtroom where standards of behaviour at the time of the crime will be applied. There is no way for peers to judge now Polanski by 1970's standards, and the current standards are far removed from what they were then.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He was the one who decided to run away from the level of punishment due to him in the 1970s so he will just had to face the level of punishment of the 2000s.

Seem more then fair to me.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 09:29 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
So no real punsihment is call for raping a 13 year old child, in your opinion?

He has done jail time, and been relieved of a huge chunk of change (legal team, victim, bail), and his career has been greatly negatively effected. That is real punishment. If this plays out the way I think it will he will also for the rest of his life be confined to Switzerland, which is some what less of a punishment.

0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:04 pm
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

George wrote:
Would you apply that principle to (say) Bernie Madoff?

It can certainly be envisioned, George.

Imagine Madoff runs from justice and lives in a different country for 30 years.

Meanwhile, he reached an agreement with his victims.

Given the current evolution of financial mores, do you think justice can be done thirty years from now in Madoff's case?

I cannot imagine that he could "reach an agreement with his victims" in that they collectively lost billions and he, even without the government's intervention, has virtually no ability to repay them. He didn't acknowledge his crimes and deceptions until the market crash made their discovery inevitable and close at hand. Can you really inagine such an accomodation?

I don't recognize any legal principle that says the mere passage of time can exonerate one who, by fleeing, has prevented and preempted duly established legal process. Certainly no such legal principle exists in our law, and I doubt seriously that it exists in French law either.

I believe you earlier affirmed your reliance on established law and judicial process. I find it odd that you are contradicting it now - and doing so based on a principle not recognized by the law (or Caesar).
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:11 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
and the victim still uncompensated.

What had she suffered George? Was it anything like what some of the troops in Afghanistan and Iraq have suffered?

Don't you think that if you are going to start calling for compensation you ought to start with the soldiers or do you prefer getting overexcited by underage girls having a go on the casting couch?

Spendius, I rather like you, but on this subject I doubt that you have ANY knowledge or experience of the things to which you refer. I'll chalk this one up to ignorance and a lack of understanding .... plus a little unjustified and hypocritical self righteousness (not to mention the fact that you are grossly prejudging the facts of the case).
0 Replies

tenderfoot

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:53 pm
Spendippy.
Quote --Don't you think that if you are going to start calling for compensation you ought to start with the soldiers or do you prefer getting overexcited by underage girls having a go on the casting couch?
unquote.
I agree with you Splendippy.. any thirteen year old boy who was drugged and forced into the army and sent out to the battlefield should be paid compensation. ( you dick-ead)
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 02:03 am
George wrote:
and I doubt seriously that it exists in French law either.

Your doubts, however sound, are of no effect in existing French laws.

It's called prescription (statute of limitations) and it exists also in many other European countries' laws.

Only a few crimes are not covered by it, like crimes against humanity.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 02:13 am
@Francis,
The German criminal code has one chapter with two titles about that - limitation about prosecution and limitation about enforcement (online here).
Francis

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 02:19 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yours are even more lenient than ours, Walter..
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 02:23 am
@Francis,
hold up here bud, did we not already go three rounds about the theory of statutes of limitations, where I was the only one arguing that they should apply to this case?
OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 02:29 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

George wrote:
and I doubt seriously that it exists in French law either.

Your doubts, however sound, are of no effect in existing French laws.

It's called prescription (statute of limitations) and it exists also in many other European countries' laws.

Only a few crimes are not covered by it, like crimes against humanity.

Francis, this has been well covered. Statutes of limitations exist in every civilized country. They do not apply when a man skips bail in ANY country I'm aware of. Nor do they apply after a suspected felon has been charged... EVER. What is it about this particular rapist that makes you want to change the rules?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 02:31 am
@hawkeye10,
Indeed.

However, I implied it myself in my comments...
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 02:37 am
Bill wrote:
They do not apply when a man skips bail in ANY country I'm aware of.

Like George, you are unaware of other countries, Bill.

Rules need to be changed, time to time, to adapt the evolution of a society.

Sadly, even in the case of a regression of said society.

But I don't want the rules to be changed to suit a specific case.

Just want the law to be enforced in it's entirety, regardless of who is the subject of such enforcement.

But I'm afraid that it will not be the case here..