How much for glasses!!????

sozobe

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 08:58 am
@ossobuco,
As it happens, I just recently ordered some glasses from Zenni for sozlet, on DrewDad's recommendation (but before the exchange here...! Just a coincidence timing-wise). Her eyesight has gotten worse again and her current glasses aren't working for her anymore.

I'd wanted her to have a pair of backup glasses since she's a kid and it's highly likely that she would lose or break her glasses at some point, and the place that takes insurance takes about two weeks to make new ones. The total to get new lenses in her current frames and a new backup pair of glasses at our eye place (with insurance discounts included) came to about $500! And that's not counting contacts, which she's interested in for sports.

So ended up buying the backup glasses from Zenni ($35 total with shipping etc.), then when those arrive we'll take her current glasses in to get replacement lenses, and insurance will take a big chunk out of that. So $500 to maybe $100 total for the two pairs of glasses (main and backup). Much better.

Anyway, all that's just an aside re: glasses in general and Zenni in particular, will report here when they arrive. Good luck with the trifocals, osso.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 10:31 pm
http://pbfcomics.com/archive_b/PBF056-New_Specs_for_Ken.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 01:34 am
@sozobe,
I could live with bifocals, of course, I've done it before - but then which? way distance and closer distance and lift the glasses to see near as in my car dials? (I'm nearsighted). To see the computer, as I do now, sans glasss..
Or, the normal way, far distance and close up, leaving all that is about five feet away blurry?

But, trifocals, hard as they are to get used to, work for me. We'll see. I'll try the place I missed driving to (arrrrgh) or the curmudgeon on San Mateo. Whatever. One of them will give me the number for pupil distance, and then I can look online... unless I just go for it re their choices and prices.

Swimpy

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 07:21 am
@ossobuco,
osso, maybe I'm missing something, but I thought Medicare paid for eyeglasses after cataract surgery. http://www.medicare.com/equipment-and-supplies/eyeglasses-and-contact-lenses.html
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2014 07:24 am
Let me tell you a scary little tale that will scare the lens off of eyeglass wearers!
With a Little Duct Tape...
http://tapastic.com/episode/73436
chai2

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2014 06:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Let me tell you a scary little tale that will scare the lens off of eyeglass wearers!
With a Little Duct Tape...
http://tapastic.com/episode/73436

Haven't worn glasses for years, but that still makes me cringe.

One time in college, some other girls and I were sitting around a pool at school. I half got up to scoot my lounge chair forward, and heard that sickening sound.

What really threw me over the edge though, was that this one vapid bitch laughed. I screamed "DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT I HAVE TO DO TO REPLACE THESE, AND HOW MUCH IT WILL COST!!!!!!"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2014 06:24 pm
I wore contact lenses in the sixties. I had a couple of odd occurrences:

- the time one fell out of my eye as I was crossing the intersection of Barrington and Sunset Blvd., gahhh to find it fast. I didn't, since I didn't see well and needed to hurry.

- the time the neat guy in quant chemistry class walked with me after class and by the time we got near the student union, turned and asked if I'd like to go with him to see Coltrane at Royce Hall. My left lens (always the left eye, all these years) immediately slipped over to the lacrimal inner corner of the eye and I had to excuse myself and dig it out.. and stick it back in. What a start to a romance..
0 Replies