How much for glasses!!????

Swimpy

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 08:36 am
boomer, can you wear contact lenses? Have you looked into the new multi-focals? I've been wearing them for the past few months. They have some minor drawbacks, but for the most part I love them.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 07:11 pm
@Setanta,
$450 for my glassdes ( I already had titanium-alloy frames that were a small fortune 7 yrs ago). $90 for complete exam. so my cost was about the same. Though I'm not 'blind', I have progressive bifocals too.

I got non-glare coatings. BTW, not all non-glare coatings smudge. Believe-it-not this coating has teflon ..and there's no smudging. That last lenses I had with the previous coating, drove me crazy as I was forever cleaning the surfaces. Apparently my eyebrows and eyelashes project vomit on the lenses.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 07:16 pm
@chai2,
Some people who wear glasses are not good candidates for lasik surgery as they don't have the type vision problems that lasik surgery can correct. I used to think that all visual problems were correctible but it's clearly not the case.

Also lasik surgery, if not done correctly can cause visual halos when viewing brgiht lights while doing night driving. I've known some people that needed to be 'redone'.

Luckily, I use a clip-on sunglass lenses from my last fitting, which are the exact shape of the lenses and use perscription glass.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2009 05:19 pm
It's not just me! My vision is 20/225 without glasses, and my eyes are too dry for contacts.

I just got a new pair of glasses (nearsightedness + astigmatism + no-line bifocals) for $440 including exam at my local Wal-Mart.

I always get the no-glare kind since it helps with astigmatism. This pair is better than my last pair, since they're lighter (3rd from top lightness according to Wal-Mart) and reflect less glare.

Frames (very lightweight) were $74.

Wish I could wear contacts! I got corneal abrasions once, many years ago, from contacts, and will never go there again. That hurt!
sozobe

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2009 06:11 pm
@BorisKitten,
I've also had a lot of problems with contacts due to dry eyes. I used to have the glass kind and they'd literally pop out of my eyes as I walked along.

I have a special kind now that my optometrist recommended and I really, really love them. These:

http://www.onlinecontactlenses.nl/images/weeklenzen/Acuvue-Oasys-contactlenzen.jpg
http://www.acuvue.com/products-acuvue-oasys.htm?ProdId=3&tabId=2

(They have 'em for astigmatism too):
http://www.acuvue.com/products-acuvue-oasys-for-astigmatism.htm?ProdId=4&tabId=2

I've been messing with contacts at intervals for about 22 years and these are the first ones I really like. I've been using them for about a year.
BorisKitten

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2009 07:56 pm
@sozobe,
Woah! Contacts that actually won't hurt "dry eyes," for astigmatism too?

Checking....

Thanks Soz!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2009 08:54 pm
My last pair of glasses cost about $350 including exam, but insurance covered some of that. I've been alternating two sets of Silhouette frames for several years. I really like them.

http://www.framesdirect.com/cdimages_lg/AUSTJJNz.jpg
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 06:55 am
@sozobe,
And Oasys comes in multifocal. Very comfortable.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 05:33 pm
@DrewDad,
I'm rereading this thread since it is new glasses time here. More on that later. I'm just adding, while I think of it, that I notice Zenni doesn't mention trifocals..
ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 06:47 pm
@ossobuco,
Ok. Gotta pay for the new glasses post surgery this time.
Meantime, I see damned well with my last glasses, but apparently not the best I possibly could, given that the prescription differs (less strong for distance). I bought an eye chart online about a year ago, and righty zones in w/glasses at the 20.20 letters but not the next line; lefty varies re vision and glare with the hot compresses; today it's between 20/30 and 20/25, lefty being poorish at 20/200, with glasses, not that long ago - November. (In my case, complicated, but dry eye syndrome having something to do with variation.)

So I can live without new glasses, but this pair is worn out, the frames being from 2004 and on the flimsy side, never mind ugly. I go today to a place the clinic gave me a card from, senior discount, wholesale frames, and so on.

But damn, I haven't driven in Friday afternoon traffic in a long time. I am mildly scaredy cat but getting better. I've always been careful, given the lifetime somewhat compromised peripheral vision (no tickets for 40 years), but scaredy has been recent. Even just before the recent surgery, the right eye with glasses had only diminished to 20:40, but it mattered to my sense of place. So now I'm residual scaredy, and don't know the neighborhood of the central city glasses place.

Right now my vision with glasses is to me spectacular, but I still have some low level tuned in fear. Me, who a few years ago whipped through the LA interchange at the same high speed as everyone else and got all the off ramps niftily. I remember that my anxiety on that was picking the right lane, a totally reasonable anxiety.

I couldn't find the eyeglass place street, one of those that goes through the city but stops for whole neighborhoods at a time. I had memo'd where I thought it was and must have missed the turn - in what was essentially an infinite shopping strip.. I punted, not today, and decided to go back to my area west of the Rio Grande.
Easy enough. I didn't want to push it.
Went to the eyeglasses place there.

Oy. I smelled a doctor emporium. I bet they even say "doctor will see you now". I walked the room slowly, looked at all displays. Possibly three pair of a few hundred could handle a trifocal.

So, I decide to look online. But I need the measurement between my pupil centers. I could probably hold a mm ruler up and may try that. It's not in my recent chart, natch: it's an eyeglass matter, not a complex vision physiology/surgery matter. And I don't trust any numbers from places I used to go to, given the displacement stuff that might have happened with the left eye. The number is probably the same, but, um.

Gads, I'll have to check the discount place out one more time.
Never on a Friday.

DrewDad

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 07:33 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm telling you people... ZENNI OPTICAL!

I got two pair for under $100. Magnetic sunshades for one pair, clip-ons for the other. UV, scratch resistant, anti-reflective coating.

They came out perfectly.

www.zennioptical.com
ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 07:37 pm
@DrewDad,
I thought I responded to that (oh, well). They only go to bifocals.

Oh, yeah, I did, a few posts ago.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 07:39 pm
@ossobuco,
Sorry, didn't see that part. Progressive (no-line bifocal) doesn't work, I suppose.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 07:42 pm
@DrewDad,
They're really cheap ... but I can tell you I'm really picky about my frames. Really really picky! I glanced through the lot and <<<blech>>>....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 09:45 pm
@DrewDad,
No, but that link may help others, so thanks. Well, who knows.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 09:51 pm
@ossobuco,
I suppose I should enter my real opinion, that people go to an ophthalmologist, and not the corner eyeglass place, to get their eyes checked, at least every so often.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 09:59 pm
@ossobuco,
I appreciate the kindly and proficient eye doctors at the VA hospital in Manhattan. That's where I got my last eye checkup with.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 10:07 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I suppose I should enter my real opinion, that people go to an ophthalmologist, and not the corner eyeglass place, to get their eyes checked, at least every so often.

Ditto. I go see a real doctor every year, since I've been told I'm at risk of my retina detaching.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 10:23 pm
@DrewDad,
Maybe if you treat your retinas better they wouldn't try to constantly leave you! Confused
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 10:44 pm
@DrewDad,
I'm not entirely scoffing of optometrists, but mostly, from my recent experiences.. I'm still cringing with the guy sucking up on my history, almost tongue hanging. Let me bring you to my room.. (and let me just leave).

I notice my university clinic has optometrists listed. I'd check them first, if I were out there needing a prescription.
0 Replies