Uniquely Human behaviors

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 02:23 pm
What is the most unique aspect of human behavior in comparison to other animals?

Do we have something about us which no other animal has, even to some small degree?

An example of an old answer would have been "toolmaking". Years ago it was argued that humans were the only animals to use/make tools, but this has long since been demonstrated to be inaccurate (Many primates, and birds make and use tools with planned intention).

Thanks,
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 8,162 • Replies: 39

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 02:43 pm
My feeling is that it's a matter of degree; that we have more intelligence, but not a fundamentally different type from other animals. Of course, because we have a greater degree of intelligence, there may as a consequence of that be some things we have that the other animals do not.
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 05:35 pm
Perhaps the ability to make decisions and act on them on the basis of morality rather than instinct alone.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 06:23 pm
How about a sense of humor, is that unique?

I've seen some chimps which seem to enjoy playing pranks on others, but is that humor, or is that dominance behavior?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 06:24 pm
I don't think humor is exclusive to us. How about a sense of mortality?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 06:39 pm
Hi K, Smile

Morality might be unique. Why isn't humor unique? What other animal exhibits it?
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 09:30 pm
It's tempting to anthropomorphize the behaviour of animals. But I do think among more highly evolved animals we see actions that have no other apparent purpose than amusement. Isn't that akin to having a sense of humor? Crows are often cited as having a sense of humor for their antics.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 09:36 pm
A conscious perception of time?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 09:44 pm
It may be anthropomorphizing, but otters play and dogs laugh. Kittens play, but cats have no sense of humor at all. I'm agreeing that they have no sense of their own mortality, but it's a tough proposition to prove.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 10:17 pm
Right - doesn't play (beyond practicing for hunting/fighting) fall into humor? And I swear that my dog understands a good laugh.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 10:36 pm
I don't doubt your dog's sense of humor for a second, though my experience with canine humor leaves me the impression that it can be a bit heavy. If play equates to humor, cats have it; otherwise, mine don't.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 06:45 am
A Conscious Perception of Time:

This may be unique. I'm not sure any other animal demonstrates this by any implication of their behavior.

How could this perception manifest itself in behavior. How do we manifest this perception, other than by language and communication.

Are there any animals which have behaviors which seem to indicate an anticipation of their own mortality?

A sense of Morality:
(Morality: 1. The quality of being in accord with standards of right or good conduct.
2. A system of ideas of right and wrong conduct)

Morality breaks down to the judgement and perception of good and bad. The ability to pass judgement on the perceptions of good and bad, may be uniquely human.

However, if an animals behavior seemed to display guilt over an action, then we might suspect that they were applying a judgement of right/wrong to their actions, and therefor had some sense of morality. I think I've seen guilt in animal behavior before (pets I've had in the past)

A sense of Humor:

Animals definitely enjoy play, but I'm not sure it's the same thing as humor. Also, humor at another's expense may be just another form of dominance behavior, so maybe a better measure of things would be shared humor.

All a matter of degree:

It's certainly possible that there's nothing completely unique about us, and that we (and everything else) are only different to degree. But that was why I asked the question; to explore if there is something *completely* unique about us.

How about written language? No other animal seems to have that. Do any animals make marks to communicate? Claw marks on trees? Bower Birds decorate their nests, but I'm not sure that could be construed as written language.

Thanks for the answers so far Smile Interesting stuff.

Best Regards,
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 06:52 am
Quote:
It's certainly possible that there's nothing completely unique about us, and that we (and everything else) are only different to degree.

I certainly can agree with that concept. I believe that we are learning that animals have many more abilities that we thought were possible. It is only in the recent past, that we have studied a number of those abilities. (Chimps using A.S.L., etc.) I believe that

As far as "written" language, what comes to mind is the territorial scent markings of animals. I believe that the creature is sending a message, loud and clear!
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 07:02 am
How about something less philosophical, like self-destruction? As far as I know, animals don't smoke, drink excessively, take drugs or have unprotected sex with strangers. Every adult knows these things are bad, but we still do them anyway.

In fact, how about contraception? Animals have sex even when they are not in season, but that's not the same as having sex and actively interfering with the fertilisation process - although there are species (such as ants I think) where there are inhibiting chemicals in operation, but these are complicated biological things and done (apparently) without concious thought.

And what about faith & religion?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 07:56 am
Rosborne - I said mortality (we know we'll die), not morality. But, morality is an interesting thing to ponder inre this subject as well.

Grand Duke - it has been documented that various animals will intentionally eat fermented fruit while perfectly ripe fruit is nearby. What other reason would there be to eat it if not only to get drunk?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 08:33 am
The thing is, we can find various animals who exhibit varying degrees of what are (sort of) considered unique human behaviors. But not all are found within a single species. Dogs may be playful, I've even seen them trick each other and me... in play. Hard to deny a sense of humor. But they don't use tools. They do seem to understand fairplay -- one cookie for Poppy, one cookie for Penny... that is fair... anything else is grounds for sad looks and may even lead to growling.

The idea of time, what Satt called the Perception of Time.... is interesting. Now animals have a great sense of habitual behavior. Breakfast is now, Dinner is later, but real time, the change of the seasons is beyond them, I think.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 08:57 am
L'k is correct I think about our religious mechanizations when she states,
Quote:
How about a sense of mortality?
certainly humans are way to concerened about this aspect the of our nature.

Quote:
We are ashamed of everything that is real about us; ashamed of ourselves, of our relatives, of our incomes, of our accents, of our opinions, of our experience, just as we are ashamed of our naked skins.

George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 09:14 am
Sorry K, I misread your "mortality" for "Morality", and then asked the same question myself (and worried about writing the two words to closely together for clarity) Wink Maybe I recognized what you wrote subconsciously.

As for self destruction as mentioned by Grand Duke; experiments with rats show that they prefer cocaine over food to the point of starvation.

As for scent marking as a written language as mentioned by Phoenix; I considered that. But though scent marking is definitely communication, I don't think I can stretch the concept far enough to consider it a written language.

Best Regards,
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 09:18 am
JoanneDorel wrote:
Quote:
We are ashamed of everything that is real about us; ashamed of ourselves, of our relatives, of our incomes, of our accents, of our opinions, of our experience, just as we are ashamed of our naked skins.

George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

George may have been talking about himself. Or possibly a majority of the population. But he certainly wasn't accurately expressing the views of some people I know (with the quote above).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 09:36 am
I think we have to consider humans as a species for the extent of our existence. The modern man is an concept muddied with aspects of societal influence.

JD - I don't think that our sense of mortality need be tied to religiosity.
0 Replies