Language setting problem on Outlook Express

msolga

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 02:03 am
I recently changed my email account from Outlook Office to Outlook Express (6). (A long story. Please don't ask me why! Rolling Eyes )

Anyway..... everything was fine till I tried to use the spellchecker ... And it behaved in a very odd way, making really peculiar "corrections".

THEN I discovered that the language setting was set on French (France). Idea

BUT when I tried to change it to English, there were no other options to be found when I attempted to scroll down the list. (There was no list!)

Now, as much as I think French is a beautiful language & also hold our Francis in the highest esteem, A French spellchecker is of absolutely no use to me!

SO .... any suggestions as to how I might go about fixing this? Or might it be necessary to reinstall my Outlook Express? If so, how do I go about doing this? (I didn't install it myself.)

Any advice that might fix this problem would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Olga

View best answer, chosen by msolga
Francis

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 02:11 am
@msolga,
Hey, msolga!

I've nothing to do with your problem! Mr. Green

However, it seems to be a known issue.

Read here: Outlook wants to be French
msolga

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 02:14 am
@Francis,
Francis!

I just knew this would catch your attention!

Now how did I know you'd be the first to respond? Laughing
msolga

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 02:16 am
@msolga,
As much as I'm delighted to hear from you, Francis (always!), this doesn't solve the problem of the mangled advice my spellchecker gives me. Sad
msolga

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 02:19 am
@msolga,
Francis, I checked the link in your post. Are you certain it's safe?
Francis

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 02:38 am
@msolga,
Unfortunately, on the internet, one never knows when it's safe, msolga!

I'll give it some thought and, if I find something, I'll get back to you..
msolga

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 02:48 am
@Francis,
Thank you, Francis.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 03:05 am
In the meantime ... if anyone else has had the same problem & resolved it, I'd be very grateful to hear from you!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 05:44 am
@msolga,
You've gone to

Tools

Options

Spelling

Language

Right?
msolga

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 06:24 am
@dlowan,
Many, many times, Deb! Francis is right: this is indeed an established "issue". It's how to actually fix it that I'm not clear about.
msolga

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 06:32 am
@msolga,
Francis posted this link earlier:

Outlook-Express-spell-checker-stuck-French-change:

Quote:
The language setting in the spell checker inOutlook Express is stuck in
French. (No other language option is available) The language in Office is
set to English!
How can I change it to English in Outlook Express?

http://help.wugnet.com/office/Outlook-Express-spell-checker-stuck-French-change-ftopict1052576.html
dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 07:14 am
@msolga,
Weird.

msolga

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 07:19 am
@dlowan,
It most certainly is!!!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 08:08 am
@msolga,
Perhaps you may need to learn to self-edit?

I am very tempted to turn my spell checker off, as it gags and foams about names and such innocent stuff.
msolga

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 08:15 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Perhaps you may need to learn to self-edit?

Yeah, I might have to, Deb!

But it's very annoying that a product (marketed by a "reputable" company) with a known flaw becomes the problem of the consumer!
0 Replies

dadpad
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 08:24 am
When you upgrade an earlier version of Office to a 2007 Office system, the old spelling checker files are removed for the following languages:

* English
* Spanish
* German

These files are replaced with newer versions that are included in the 2007 Office system. The new files are incompatible with Outlook Express.
You can resolve this issue by installing Windows Live Mail.
Windows Live Mail is downloadable from http://download.live.com/wlmail (http://download.live.com/wlmail)

There are a variety of third-party free spell-checking programs available on the Internet. You can learn about available programs by visiting the Microsoft Communities site. This site lets you obtain advice from other users and from Microsoft Most Valuable Professionals (MVPs). To access the Microsoft Communities site, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/default.mspx (http://www.microsoft.com/communities/default.mspx)
You can also use a search site to find spell-checking programs. For example, you can search for spell-checking programs at the following Web site:
http://www.live.com (http://www.live.com)
msolga

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 06:37 pm
@dadpad,
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

FIXED!

Thanks for all that information last night dadpad. I had problems downloading the necessary extra file, so rang Microsoft Support this morning to see what the problem was. Chiang (in Malaysia!) helped me go through all the steps over the phone (after sending me the file by email). Turns out the file wouldn't download before because I use a Firefox browser. After a couple of unsuccessful attempts we switched to IE & hey presto, that did the trick! (Thank you, Chiang! Smile )

Actually I've had this problem with a couple of downloads before. After following all the right steps (I swear! Wink ), still no files! Now I know why.

Thank you Francis, Deb & dadpad. Your efforts to assist were much appreciated.
msolga

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 05:13 am
@msolga,
BTW if anyone here should be experiencing the same problems with Outlook Express, feel free to PM me & I'll pass on the fix-it details to you.
noirambok

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 11:39 pm
@msolga,
I have exactly the same problem with my OE - ONLY French as the spellchecker (somehow it just changed a few weeks ago - has been English for the last 4 years) so I have no idea why/how it changed to French. Maybe an Update of some sort? Who knows? - I am NOT a computer expert, that's for sure. So...Olga, if you could pass on the fix-it details, I would be forever grateful! Thank you very much. BTW - I'm glad you mentioned the Firefox/IE problem, because I generally use Firefox so I would have had the same problem as you did :-(
msolga

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 02:04 am
@noirambok,
Hello, noirambok.

I had the same (only French available ) spellchecker problem when I purchased new copies of Windows IE & Microsoft Office. (setting up a new computer). I contacted Microsoft's help service they provided & also helped me install a small additional program which set things right again. It was a flaw in their program.
0 Replies