aussie apples

kev

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 05:19 am
I'm not sure whether this is an Australian Question or a food Question??

I've just eaten an Australian apple, the label said it was a "sundowner"

Question is this: how can apples stay fresh on a six weeks ship journey from Oz to Blighty? add to that the time between wholesalers/retailers/ time spent in my fruit dish? HOWS IT DONE?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,253 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 05:48 am
Cold storage is cold storage whether in a warehouse or in the cargo section of a ship. Properly stored, apples will last from harvesting in September and October until spring.

Many varieties of modern apples have been developed to be "good keepers" and will last even longer.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 07:54 am
I favor the Granny Smith, which Margo says the NZs stole from Australia. No complaints about how they arrive.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 12:17 am
The storage life of fresh fruit and vegetables is extended by modifying the atmosphere surrounding the produce (e.g. in plastic packaging).

There's some gas added - 'googling' will most probably give a more detailed answer.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 05:36 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
The storage life of fresh fruit and vegetables is extended by modifying the atmosphere surrounding the produce (e.g. in plastic packaging).

There's some gas added - 'googling' will most probably give a more detailed answer.

Sounds reasonable Walter, the reason I asked the question was that I've tried keeping fruit in the salad box of my fridge, and it doesn't last much longer even though its colder.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 05:45 am
I believe that the ideal temperature for preserving apples is just a few degrees above freezing--much colder than the home refrigerator.

Also, some strains of apples are "keepers". They may be less flavorful when picked, but they last.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 05:48 am
I vaguely remember from shcool that the gas may be nitrogen based, as it's cheap & fairly unreactive.

I also remember being told not to keep banana's in the fridge, as the fruit thinks it's winter and dies off quicker - causing the brown sludge.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 10:14 am
Grand Duke wrote:

I also remember being told not to keep banana's in the fridge, as the fruit thinks it's winter and dies off quicker - causing the brown sludge.

My bananas are dead, when I buy them. :wink:

Some info re. apples etc. is to be found here:
PLASTICS MAKE IT POSSIBLE
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 10:57 am
An apple in a bag with green tomatoes will encourage the tomatoes to ripen.

Remember, in colonial days, apples were washed, inspected for bruises and stored in attics and lofts. They lasted through the winter.
0 Replies