Facebook "friending": I don't get it.

Region Philbis

Thu 17 Sep, 2009 07:59 am
@boomerang,

could just be a coincidence, if you're name is common enough...
DrewDad

Thu 17 Sep, 2009 08:04 am
@ebrown p,
Recently it's turned into some kind of underworld/farming gaming forum.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Thu 17 Sep, 2009 08:12 am
will someone adopt this damn brown cow

and help my mafia please
0 Replies

sozobe

Fri 18 Sep, 2009 07:54 am
One downside to Facebook:

A person I know has been posting updates -- she was in the hospital for pneumonia. She has some weird growth on her scalp, they're doing tests. She doesn't know what's up. She just got back from the hospital, but still isn't up to much, out of breath quickly. All within the last week; I posted some sort of commiseration for one or two. Then today: looking forward to volunteering at school! (Her daughter is in the same grade but a different class than mine.) Ack.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Tue 22 Sep, 2009 06:58 pm
I'm not much for Facebook. I have an account in my real name and have exactly 2 friends. Often I have friend suggestions -- friends of these 2 friends that Facebook wonders if I'd like to befriend. Recently a person was suggested who is not known to either of my friends. It is an acquaintance from my university days and someone I have not seen in many years. This person has not asked to be my friend -- Facebook has suggested them. How was this link made?
sozobe

Tue 22 Sep, 2009 07:01 pm
@Tai Chi,
I'm still figuring it out but I think it has to do with who has searched for YOU.
Tai Chi

Tue 22 Sep, 2009 07:17 pm
@sozobe,
Ah, I wondered about that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 22 Sep, 2009 07:21 pm
I had a friendship request on facebook from a Lord Elpus, but I did not accept, because I felt someone was trying to practical joke me. The a2k Lord Elpus and I never really had any meaningful personal exchanges, so I can't see him searching me out.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 22 Sep, 2009 07:28 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:
could just be a coincidence, if you're name is common enough...

when I was trying to locate brendalee's nephew, I had to go through 82 people with one name, 60+ with the other he might have been going by

when I was trying to find the woman whose wallet Set had found, there were over a dozen with the same name

found 'em both without actually having to 'speak' to any of the wrong people, but if either of them had had tighter security settings, I would have had to send messages/requests to a lot more people
0 Replies

Firestar624

Wed 23 Sep, 2009 03:00 pm
@Tai Chi,
Facebook looks at the information you have put onto your profile. In this case, i'm guessing you put the university you went to somewhere. Facebook then finds friends who have also gone to that school, and they try to make it in the same year.
eoe

Wed 23 Sep, 2009 03:13 pm
I think the "who searched for you" aspect applies as well. One woman, in particular, who never paid me for work I did a few years ago, showed up as a suggested friend. I did not know her prior to working with her and we don't seem to know the same people so...
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Wed 23 Sep, 2009 05:03 pm
@Firestar624,
Nope. My profile is virtually empty. I'm thinking someone must have been looking for me, even if they didn't ask to be friends.
0 Replies

surovi

Tue 10 Jan, 2012 11:50 pm
@boomerang,
pls talk to ur friend who is in FB
0 Replies

Mame

Sun 7 Nov, 2021 07:48 pm
What a hilarious old thread Smile I suspect by now that everyone knows all about FB. But I deleted and deactivated my account nearly two years ago and apparently I'm still 'active'. Pisses me off.
0 Replies

allatbargainsuk

Wed 8 Feb, 2023 12:47 pm
@boomerang,
EDITED!! - it is not possible to take that issues away that as it happens to everyone around the word it comes under spam so if you can just ignore it the request there is nothing we can do about it there is a possibility though it put your Facebook like freinds list profiles details etc to private though it will help to it stop getting these request but it won't stop it completely though it will be your setting etc
0 Replies