How do I maintain a Rainsoft Silver Series System?

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 08:50 am
I recently moved into a new home which has a Rainsoft Silver Series system installed. The previous owner left the eight page owner's manual for me, which is of little help except for the setting of the timers.

The former owner told me that the system uses no salt, that you only have to dump a gallon of bleach into the tank every month. This does not sound right to me, but I'm not able to verify this. My internet research leads me to believe that the system does require salt, but I can find nothing to tell me how much salt, or how to add it to the system.

Can anyone shoot me straight on this system? Does this system use salt, bleach, or both? How much of each monthly? How do I add them, and what type do I purchase?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 5,498 • Replies: 5
No top replies

purple chicken

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 05:20 pm
@Dutch306,
I add salt almost every month. I keep one (1) salt block and two (2) 40 lb. packages of salt crystals in the tank. The tgank has a line inside for salt measurement if you want to check.
csuboy14

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2012 08:44 pm
@purple chicken,
Ive had mine for a little over a year and we finally had to add salt to it. Its just Block salt. I think when they installed it they put four blocks in. You just have to make sure you add the weight of what you put in into the system so it can assure you when to add salt again. Best of luck
0 Replies

wilmchenry

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 01:19 pm
I have the Silver series as well. Do I need to clean out the brine tank? (where) the salt goes. The previous owner also left mine with very little instruction. Any help is appreciated.
0 Replies

jjlanc

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 01:04 pm
@Dutch306,
They recommend small amount of bleach right after the system is installed. After that adding bleach to a used system will bind the iron to the resin making it difficult if not impossible to clean it out. Systems that were treating well water are likely to have iron in them. The system uses salt to soften the water not bleach. This information that I have been researching, I am no expert.
0 Replies

jjlanc

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 11:44 pm
@Dutch306,
If he was treating the water with bleach you should have the water tested for sure.
0 Replies