Race and the Toy Isle

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 09:57 pm
So I'm in Target this weekend, and I'm browsing through the toy isle looking for new Star Wars items. I look over to the Wrestling figure section and most of the figures are sold out. Except for literally 18 versions of a black female wrestler, which didn't appear to be popular items.

I asked the person in the isle, who was black, why they ordered so many of these figurines if they weren't popular, and she replied that they order more black figures than white ones so that there is always a black figure on the shelf so that they are not accused of being biased towards white toys. They've apparently received numerous complaints when they had the old policy and the black figures were sold out; so now instead, they are the only figures on the shelf.

I thought it was interesting.

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 10:54 pm
I thought this thread would involve that stop-motion animation Christmas TV special from the 1960s.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 04:04 am
I was wondering what ocean the Toy Isle is to be found in.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 11:46 am
That is interesting.

When I was a kid, I don't think the problem was that my friends and I didn't want the black figurines by virtue of race; the problem was that black characters were always given lame ass roles.

There wasn't long deliberation when choosing between Luke Skywalker, a Jedi Knight, and Lando, a double-crossing traitor with 15 minutes of screen time.
maporsche

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 11:50 am
@Gargamel,
That's a good point....I don't follow wrestling at all, but maybe that character was like Lando.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 11:57 am
@maporsche,
I'm going to toss in another, simply based on my own observations.

most wrestling fans I've encountered are not the most open minded, civilized, or edumacated of folks.

meaning if daddy's a racist, junior prolly should not come home with a black hero...
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 12:41 pm
And it was a black female, which was the economical choice for the toy manufacturer--killing two historically marginalized demographics with one stone.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 05:57 pm
I think if people look hard enough they can find a turd in a punchbowl... much less racial imbalance in the toy market.

I'm tired of the whole ******* thing.

I think everyone sucks regardless of race color or creed. Different times in history different races are the opposed ones..... they struggle to usurp the positions of those over them..... and then they become them.

that's it. Period.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 06:16 pm
Been reading "Animal Farm" lately, Bear?
2PacksAday

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 08:54 pm
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

That is interesting.

When I was a kid, I don't think the problem was that my friends and I didn't want the black figurines by virtue of race; the problem was that black characters were always given lame ass roles.

There wasn't long deliberation when choosing between Luke Skywalker, a Jedi Knight, and Lando, a double-crossing traitor with 15 minutes of screen time.

True, I have 27 different versions of Luke, and only 5 Lando's....my favorite Lando is the one where he is disguised as a skiff guard, he came with a removable helmet, a staff, and a 40 oz of Colt 45.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 07:24 am
@Eva,
Eva wrote:

Been reading "Animal Farm" lately, Bear?

not in years...but I get the connection. Smile
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 07:59 am
@2PacksAday,
2PacksAday wrote:
... he came with a removable helmet, a staff, and a 40 oz of Colt 45.

Laughing
chai2

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 11:25 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

2PacksAday wrote:

Laughing

I know, that was a good'un.

Did his removable helmet look like this?

http://www-scf.usc.edu/~nwisniew/iom431/purple_pimp_hat.gif
ebrown p

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 11:38 am
When someone posts a thread entitled "Race and the Cross Burning"... we will know this anti-anti-racism has gone too far.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 08:51 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Ticomaya wrote:

2PacksAday wrote:

Laughing

I know, that was a good'un.

Did his removable helmet look like this?

http://www-scf.usc.edu/~nwisniew/iom431/purple_pimp_hat.gif

That hat actually belongs to a little known character named
Dr. Soot Zuit, who hailed from the planet Pimpula 7. He was considered a "mad-scientist", and is best known for his work on genetically engineered hookers; he is credited with inventing the double hinged pelvis, as well as the never ending rim job, and he also perfected the no-gag reflex.

It is often incorrectly stated that he was killed while serving his planet in the Third Pimp/Mining Camp war, but in reality he died in a back alley on Coruscant, after short changing a wookie that was in full rut. He is often quoted as saying...."The force may be strong, but my pimp hand is stronger".
Rockhead

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 09:58 pm
@2PacksAday,
I had a black G I Joe.

it was not this guy ~
RARE 2004 Force Recon Marine Set includes 12" GI Joe, Flight Suit, Goggles, Helmet, Boots, Bavclava, Body Armor, Knife with Sheath, Radio, Knee Pads, Elbow Pads, Pistol with Holster, Grappling Hook, Rope, Harness, M4 and Dog Tags.

Rare Force Recon Marine

but he was fully articulating and all.

(he had a plain tan outfit, i think...) (and no gun)
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 04:21 am
Back in the day when I was in the house band at The Pink Pussycat in Fayetteville NC (yes that's really what it was called) I had a few black G. I. Hoes....also several white ones and a couple of Hispanic models. They were all fully articulated, believe that ****.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 03:51 pm
@2PacksAday,
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

One of my friends and her sons spent many happy hours one day doing a painstaking video of an Action Man (probably white, I can't recall) running athletically through the forest, pulling his pants down and shitting, and sprinting heroically off again, with a bit of toilet paper dangling from the back of his pants.

This epic was named "Bowel Action Man."
0 Replies