"Unusually sleepy, lethargic, or grumpy"

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 10:37 am
That's one of the reasons you should keep your child at home from school, as listed on the "Should my child stay home?" section of the public school handout regarding illness.

Not only that -- you should keep them home until they're "symptom free"!

Since I was a sleepy, lethargic, grumpy child I would have never gone to school.

Would you keep your kid home from school for being sleepy, lethargic, or grumpy?

Just curious!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 3,565 • Replies: 9
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 11:11 am
@boomerang,
Being unusually sleepy, lethargic, and grumpy has never kept me from going to work, so why should it keep kids from going to school?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 11:15 am
@boomerang,
What, and be stuck at home with a sleepy, lazy, grumpy child? No thanks.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 11:15 am
That's when I'm glad there is a school in the first place.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 11:17 am
Unless he's falling asleep facedown in his breakfast, I don't think those are reasons to keep a kid home from school.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 11:21 am
In his books on life in Royal Navy in the early 19th century, Patrick O'Brian has his main character, Jack Aubrey, frequently describe his midshipmen in exactly those terms. He says that they love their bed and they love their dinner, and that's about it.

Where would the Royal Navy have been if they had excused their midshipmen duty for being sleepy, lethargic or grumpy?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 11:26 am
@boomerang,
Quote:
Would you keep your kid home from school for being sleepy, lethargic, or grumpy?

Yes, but neither of my kids are habitually sleepy, lethargic and/or grumpy and they both would rather be up and about and in school with their friends than home and in bed, so if they said they were tired, I let them stay home and sleep.
sozobe

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 12:11 pm
@aidan,
Yeah, that was my first response, too... I get the "in my day, I went to school when I was sleepy and walked five miles, uphill both ways" thing, but when sozlet is "unusually sleepy, lethargic or grumpy" she's usually coming down with something and I keep her home.

Just happened this morning actually. She was stuffy this weekend but it was inconclusive -- allergies? Cold? She didn't have a fever and was bright-eyed and otherwise fine. Planned to send her to school as usual this morning. Put her to bed early last night. This morning she would NOT wake up. That's unusual for her -- she's frequently sleepy but she'll eventually yawn and stretch and start waking up, this morning she was, like, alive, but wouldn't respond to anything. When she's that out of it, I let her sleep, 'cause she needs it. If I force the issue, that's when I have to go pick her up at noon or so because she's in bad shape. (It's happened 2-3 times.)

Told the school, let her sleep, she was up about an hour later, looking good. Gave her a big breakfast, observed her for a while, she seemed fine, (still no fever, and much less stuffy), took her in.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 02:39 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Since I was a sleepy, lethargic, grumpy child I would have never gone to school.

You'd not, then, have been UNUSUALLY sleepy, lethargic or grumpy.

You'd have been your usual self and thusly packed off to school.

Next question?

Wink

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 04:41 pm
We're still under threat of a global flu pandemic, and I think this recommendation is reasonable.

H1N1 is particularly dangerous for pregnant women.

http://www.unmultimedia.org/tv/unifeed/d/13467.html

Quote:
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), an increased risk from the H1N1 virus during pregnancy “is now consistently well-documented across countries”.

The American Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has found that while only about one percent of the general population is pregnant, six percent of confirmed fatal 2009 H1N1 flu cases thus far have been in pregnant women.

It's still a minor concern compared to other threats during pregnancy, but the threat may grow as more people become infected.
0 Replies