Who has gone traveling and made met really amazing people?

Rockhead

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 03:29 pm
@Wilso,
I'll feed you your words again...

"it's better to remain silent and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

you are an impetuous little ignoranus, aren't you now.
spendius

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 03:32 pm
@Rockhead,
If he does know Rocky then he knows I have never approached the mods or know how to.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 03:44 pm
I have met some amazing people on my travels and tons of people from different backgrounds and countries, but I always find that the worst travelers I come across are the outspoken loud rude Americans. ..not all Americans are like that I know, but somehow the obnoxious ones must be the only ones who travel when I'm traveling.

As for the young Aussies and Kiwis traveling.....yes drinking and having a good time is our culture especially on our OE lol
Wilso

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 03:47 pm
@Rockhead,
You're as big a fuckwit as spendi. So what do you poison your mind with? Just alcohol, or something more exotic? I will say again. It was your post I responding to you brainless dipshit.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 03:51 pm
@Wilso,
thank you.

what educational system do we have to thank for your delightful communications skills?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 03:55 pm
@KiwiChic,
KiwiChic wrote:

I have met some amazing people on my travels and tons of people from different backgrounds and countries, but I always find that the worst travelers I come across are the outspoken loud rude Americans. ..not all Americans are like that I know, but somehow the obnoxious ones must be the only ones who travel when I'm traveling.

As for the young Aussies and Kiwis traveling.....yes drinking and having a good time is our culture especially on our OE lol

I've actually only met one American who fit that mould. Most of them were ok. The French have a reputation for arrogance, but the few of them I've met were great people. The Aussies are generally ok so long as they're alone. It's when you get them in a group that they carry on like a bunch of obnoxious 2-year-old's. When it came to arrogance, and feeling that they thought themselves too important to even acknowledge the existence of others, I've found that attitude most common from the Danes.
spendius

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 04:57 pm
@Wilso,
How on earth can 2-year-olds be obnoxious?

They haven't been to school or watch TV. They have no chance.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 01:11 am
I doubt any of the Australians in this board fit Wilso's, or PQ's description.

I've travelled pretty extensively - but then I don't do the young yobbo tours, either.

So far, my greatest exposure to oafish behaviour has been in England, and funnily enough, Swedes in Sweden.
Francis

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 01:22 am
@margo,
The need for people to categorize usually leads them to oblivious conclusions about nationality.

They forget, most of the time, the way travellers are perceived is more a matter of personal countenance than anything else.

margo

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 01:37 am
@Francis,
you're right, of course!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 02:35 am
@margo,
Well, now that I know, if I see someone who is obnoxious as a two year old, I'll know it's an Australian. And that proves that Australian travelers are as obnoxious as two year olds. Right? Unless they're Danes, of course.
Wilso

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 03:08 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Well, now that I know, if I see someone who is obnoxious as a two year old, I'll know it's an Australian. And that proves that Australian travelers are as obnoxious as two year olds. Right? Unless they're Danes, of course.

It's easy to predict. More than two together, and a bar.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 03:21 am
The Pentacle Queen wrote:
Who has gone traveling and made met really amazing people?

I've done quite a lot of this during this Sabbatical year of mine. During it, I've met at least a dozen people, mostly A2K people and their spouses, who were all amazing.
spendius

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 03:54 am
@Thomas,
That's a big enough sample with 100% satisfaction to draw a reasonable conclusion that all A2Kers are amazing just as if one tossed a coin 12 times and it came down heads everytime it would be reasonable to conclude it was a double header until close inspection proved otherwise.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 06:50 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
What is it about their culture that makes them idiots?

That is not the sort of remark I expect to see from an intelligent and charming person Queenie.

Travellers are by definition dissatisfied with where they come from and the inevitable disciplines which normally attach to daily life. They are not typical and neither is the behaviour of those temporarily released from those disciplines.

It is also a grave mistake brought about by an unjustified affection for the self that one can absorb oneself in the local culture of areas one is merely passing through and that one understands it in any way an intelligent person would deem necessary in order to judge it.

It is also important for you to realise at this early stage in your life that declaring others to be "idiots" is not a satisfactory method of claiming to be free of idiocy oneself. If it were there would be no idiots at all.

You risk being thought impatient with human nature itself.

Yeah I know it doesn't sound that intelligent on paper.
And I also know you can't get to grips with the culture of a country by spending two nights there, but how much money do you think I have?
I can't really make a case for this, apart from to say that I met lots of Australians and New Zealanders in Hostels and hotels and campsites, and found a grand total of two of them bearable, and found the attitude and actions of the rest of them pretty unbearable. i.e. I saw a tour group on a campsite I camped at heading out into Budapest to get pissed on a boat on the Danube armed with inflatable guitars. Their tour leader actually said to them 'you guys all have to validate your metro tickets when you get on the train, but I don't actually care if you do or not, because there's only 1 Hungarian ticket inspector, and there is 30 of us.' And that was a TOUR GUIDE, like wtf?
Obviously this is a person gripe, but I found their culture to be geared towards a load of things I don't really care for anyway, like 'chillin', whatever that is, or sports, and, um, probably some other things too.
I didn't claim I was free from idiocy, just that from my angle they looked more prone to it.

Haha, Spendius you're my Lord Henry Wotton of sorts. I just realised that. A more moral version.
spendius

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 07:38 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
I am handling you with kid gloves Queenie on account of the tenderrness of your years and your proximity to a sheltered provincial upbringing.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 07:59 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
Goodness me. Three whole weeks away from home & all you met was idiots & ******* morons. What a shame!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 01:50 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

That's a big enough sample with 100% satisfaction to draw a reasonable conclusion that all A2Kers are amazing just as if one tossed a coin 12 times and it came down heads everytime it would be reasonable to conclude it was a double header until close inspection proved otherwise.

You equate 'amazing' to 100% satisfaction?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 01:51 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

You equate 'amazing' to 100% satisfaction? If I tell you I had an 'interesting' meal the other day, think twice before taking it as a whole hearted endorsement.
spendius

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 02:11 pm
@roger,
Now wait a mo rog--

what I meant was that if I met 12 consequtive A2Kers and they were all (100%) amazing I would presume all A2Kers were amazing. I wouldn't exclude me having been extraordinarily lucky but 12 more and I might do.