Addressing Flash Memory via Digital Camera

CDobyns

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 06:24 pm
I thought I'd remembered that I read a recent article that indicated that you could address a flash memory card on a digital camera and effectively save other types of data onto it, besides digital photographs - just like a thumb drive.

However, when I plug up my Canon camera via the USB port and use Windows Explorer, I can "see" the camera being identified as a peripheral device, but when I try to copy something to the camera "drive", the Paste option isn't available. I could have sworn I read about this in a recent edition of PCWorld, but now I can't find it. I wonder whether I'm just doing something wrong in the way I'm attempting to transfer data to the flash memory. My end objective is actually to re-transfer some digital pictures back to the camera, in order to make them a little more portable and allow me to display them on a TV through the video/audio interface cable that came with the camera. Ultimately, I'm looking for any input/suggestions/intuition on the viability of transferring data onto the flash memory card, directly through the camera
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,842 • Replies: 1
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2009 01:23 am
Often the digital link between the camera and computer is intentionally one-way, camera -> computer only. Maybe you should study the camera manual carefully? And the documentation that comes with the camera software? However, whether or not you are able to write to the camera using the cable, I suggest you buy a USB card reader suitable for the type of card in your camera. They are not very expensive. Then you can take the memory card out of the camera, insert it into the reader, plug the reader into a convenient USB port, and it will act as a removable drive with two-way access. The speed of data transfer is usually much higher than via the cable.

Note that larger SD cards (4 GB+) may be to the newer SDHC standard so making sure any reader you buy has this capability might be a good idea.

Quote:
you could address a flash memory card on a digital camera and effectively save other types of data onto it, besides digital photographs - just like a thumb drive.

A memory card inserted into a USB reader, is, in effect, a pen drive, one with detachable, interchangeable memory.
0 Replies