You May Have Noticed the Portal

jespah

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 06:20 am
Do you see the links at the top of the page, on the right? Now one of them (along with Home, Forums, Gallery and the like) says Portal.

What's a Portal? It's an advertising and linking forum.

Where are the links coming from? Lots of places! One source is the topics right here on A2K. Another place is the Helpful Links topics which used to be in every forum.

Yeah, that reminds me - where have the Helpful Links topics gone? Once their links are harvested for the Portal, the Helpful Links topic is pulled.

Why are they being pulled? A few reasons. One is, the Portal simply looks better than the Helpful Links topics. Also, it's searchable by members and much, much better-organized.

I want to tell everyone about a site I found. How do I go about adding it to the Portal? Send in a link to the Portal editor by clicking on the category where your link should go, and then choosing Add a Listing from the menu at the top of the Portal page. Your link will then be approved (or not) as the Editor gets to it.

What if I want to tell everyone on the forums? You'll reach a much wider audience by using the Portal.

Who are the Editors of the Portal? Lots of people. The list keeps changing and growing as categories are added and people come on board. Ask me if you want to become an Editor.

How are you preventing spam from being added to the Portal? By requiring that all submissions be approved by an Editor, spam is kept out.

I saw what I think is a problem on the Portal, like a link not working. Who do I tell, and how? Please create a topic in Forum Help and make sure the word Portal is somewhere in the title. The code is very new so it's a huge help if you spot and report any bugs.

Thank you!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,493 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 06:36 am
Jes, I, too, blame it all on allergies. Smile
(Wha' hoppen' to the dirty water?)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 06:57 am
I got an allergic reaction to the dirty water.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 02:40 pm
so, is the system somehow looking at all the links left in various posts and then sorting them into categories?

i looked at the one on book reviews to see if i could figure it out, but no luck yet.

maybe a week in the company of doggies was too much?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 04:21 pm
I just did a sampling of a few catagories. Every link had 10 votes with a rating of 5 out of a possible 10. What are the odds of that?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 05:52 pm
ehbeth,

Not all links, just the specific "helpful links" threads that used to be featured in each forum.

roger,

All links start with 10/5 so that the portal isn't given to superlatives.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 06:14 pm
Thanks, Craven.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 04:36 am
Do we also have a starboardal?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 11:29 pm
Quiet here til my consciousness rises..

slurf.

slurf.

glub.

in await.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 04:07 am
Does A2K receive any financial benefit by us using the portal links to access these websites when we do online shopping?

(I think I know the answer, just asking so others will know, and to kick this topic back up to viewing level.)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 04:43 pm
some yes and some no, the portal isn't primarily about anything specific, it's a list of links and like any portal it's focus and use will be diverse.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 08:47 pm
Checking in, and saying I have hopes of understanding the portal this weekend, and even, perhaps, contributing.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 07:12 am
If you begin to understand anything, Osso, please let me know. Smile I should start understanding aomething somewhere at some point along the line. So far...zip.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 06:18 pm
For those who haven't checked out the portal lately, please do. It is really fleshing out nicely, and has a lot of great sites in it!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 07:30 pm
In case anyone is looking for some, I've been putting the lyrics to a wide variety of holiday songs into the portal. Just click on Portal at the top of this page, then click on Music and Lyrics.

You can browse alphabetically by artist name or use the search feature to look for specific names, song titles or lyrics. There are also links to online shopping where the music can be purchased if you have the desire to do so.
0 Replies

g-mony

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 08:20 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
In case anyone is looking for some, I've been putting the lyrics to a wide variety of holiday songs into the portal. Just click on Portal at the top of this page, then click on Music and Lyrics.

You can browse alphabetically by artist name or use the search feature to look for specific names, song titles or lyrics. There are also links to online shopping where the music can be purchased if you have the desire to do so.
jjn.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 08:28 pm
Here it is, two years since this thread was initiated and I still have no clue as to what this is all about. I stay totally and completely away from this thing called "Portal." To this day I haven't yet figured out what it's good for or how to work it. How 'bout you, Ossobuco? Any luck?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 08:42 pm
I added a bunch slowly in the beginning, but I was trying to review each book I added myself. Not that others don't..

Walter, on the other hand, has added many many many links, me thinks, as have many other people.

Let me also bring to attention of anyone interested in bolstering this site - I always do my book ordering now, if I can, through the amazon.com link on the HOME page. I look there first. If one is ordering anyway, and they have quite a variety of products, besides books. I think it helps a2k by a bit for each purchase. Hmmm, I also got my very slightly used Canon that way..
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 08:46 pm
Good on you, Oss! Guess I'll just continue to operate in the stone age all by myself. Would you believe I still do about 98% of all my shopping in actual stores, not on the net? Make that 99%.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 08:55 pm
I'm not all so good, eh. But I live in a moderately isolated place - have been, I am moving - and don't drive at night, thus a lot of ordinary shopping hours in regular places are not there. Plus, I've grown accustomed to the fun of thriftshopping in regular old thriftshops but also online.

I'm still sort of portal-stupid, I should use it more.
0 Replies